mtbr member
    Mar 2006

chain lenght on 5.7 carbon

Hi...just want to know how many pins on a chain for a 5.7 carbon?
    Thanks.

Pivotal figure
    The length of chain needed is dependent on what chainrings and cassette you're running so there is no set length that will work. The best method for sizing the chain is to run it over the largest chainring and largest cog WITHOUT going thru the rear derailler (key point). With the chain looped as described, overlap the ends and match up the pin for the closest link. From that point, add 2 full links (1 inner and 1 outer section is a full link) and that will be the correct length for your current gearing. Hope this makes sense.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Pivotal figure
    Here's a setup guide from the Shimano site if you need some clarification.
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...42080656,d.aWc

The chain length setup is in the 2nd portion of this page...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I second the Big-Big +2. Note that this will be the shortest length possible. For added security in case of a trailside repair I add even 2 more. The new clutch rear deraileurs help dealing with a longer chain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    The length of chain needed is dependent on what chainrings and cassette you're running so there is no set length that will work. The best method for sizing the chain is to run it over the largest chainring and largest cog WITHOUT going thru the rear derailler (key point). With the chain looped as described, overlap the ends and match up the pin for the closest link. From that point, add 2 full links (1 inner and 1 outer section is a full link) and that will be the correct length for your current gearing. Hope this makes sense.
    Ken just reading through and I think you got me confused a bit based off of Shimano's directions. You state that you add 2 full links with 1 full link being 1 inner and 1 outer but if you look at the picture of shimano's direction I see it as 1 inner is a full link and 1 outer as a full link. or am I reading this all wrong. I have set my chains up to this setup plus 1 more link (either being 1 inner or outer) just to be safe and have never had an issue. I know we are only talking 10 mm dif, just curious.

Pivotal figure
    Yeah, I think it's probably more accurate to call it 1 1/2 links since you end up attaching one inner to the opposite side's outer. And then if you use a quick link you have to factor in that length as well. It's really not a huge deal so long as the chain isn't too short (been there, not a pretty sight...)

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Yeah, I think it's probably more accurate to call it 1 1/2 links since you end up attaching one inner to the opposite side's outer. And then if you use a quick link you have to factor in that length as well. It's really not a huge deal so long as the chain isn't too short (been there, not a pretty sight...)
    Thought so. Last 5 years or so I have been getting more and more invovled into my own maint/replace and builds of bikes as I find it almost as fun as riding them. So the more I can understand the better, so thanks very much for responding. Even when you think you know something somebody could always be doing something a little different that in the end works better then your current set up.