mtbr member
    Aug 2008

CCDB Coil on small Mach 5.7 al

I fitted my buddy's CCDB coil on my Small Mach 5.7 al and it fits. Any idea how it would ride? Right now its under sprung so its a bit mushy. I've been thinking of getting one for myself

CCDB Coil on small Mach 5.7 al-img_20140715_004138.jpg

Pivotal figure
    Don't do it. The "Mach" series frames are designed for air shocks ONLY. Use of a coil shock will void the warranty...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The frame is used, no warranty anyways. What's the reasoning behind no coil? Is it the leverage ratio, impending implosion, spontaneous combustion?

Pivotal figure
    I'd have to ask the engineer guys for the specific potential issues but the main reason is the inherent progressive nature of an air shock (which resists hard bottom out) versus coil which relies more on damping to resist that. Leverage ratio could be part of it but I don't know for sure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Cool, post back what they say. The coil is the only Ccdb that fits the small

74 & 29 pilot
    Have you seen the new CCDB Air In-Line shock? I'm sure it would fit and they are cheaper than the regular DB Air. What is it that your doing with this bike that would require a coil over shock?
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    Have you seen the new CCDB Air In-Line shock? I'm sure it would fit and they are cheaper than the regular DB Air. What is it that your doing with this bike that would require a coil over shock?
    The air canisters on the CCDBA/Inline are too big for the XS and Small Mach.57 Al. It hits the slanted top tube.

My current RP23 is cavitating and instead of sending it in to PUSH/Fox for tune/repair I'd replace it with something else. My other choice is an RS Monarch RC3.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Nada?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Upset

Figures

Pivotal figure
    Monarch is a good option, just be sure to get the correct tuning!

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Figures
    What are you, 13?
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    What is the correct tune for the monarch for Pivots?

Are they mostly the same?

For a M5.7c in my case.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    What are you, 13?
    No, 13 and a half. Thank you very much. Why you want to know my age? You like them young? Sorry, I don't go that way and frankly that's disgusting.

Pivotal figure
    Generally the same for DW bikes in that they'll have a light tune but I don't have the exact combination. RS has supplied shocks to some of our sponsored riders though so they should have a data base of the proper settings for that bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasCam View Post
    What is the correct tune for the monarch for Pivots?

Are they mostly the same?

For a M5.7c in my case.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Don't do it. The "Mach" series frames are designed for air shocks ONLY. Use of a coil shock will void the warranty...
    I see no where in the online 1/3 year warranty or the paper warranty that this is true. Anyone with a hard copy from Pivot directly to supporting this?

Pivotal figure
    Trust me, I'm the guy in back handling warranty claims. The shock change would come under the "alteration" portion of the warranty statement. Bikes are designed for a specific use and specific equipment like suspension elements. It's always best to check with the manufacturer before changing out key components like shocks, bolts, etc...Even though some of the other bikes can be changed to a coil shock they do require the correct version (not just any coil shock will do).

"These limited warranties do not apply to normal wear and tear, claimed defects, malfunctions or failures that result from abuse, neglect, improper assembly, improper maintenance, alteration, collision, crash or misuse. The original owner shall pay all labor and transportation charges associated with the repair or replacement of all parts under this warranty. Under no circumstance does this limited warranty include the cost of travel or shipment to and from an authorized Pivot dealer. In order to exercise your rights under these limited warranties, the bicycle or frameset must be presented to an authorized Pivot dealer, together with proof of purchase."

Quote Originally Posted by gdnorm View Post
    I see no where in the online 1/3 year warranty or the paper warranty that this is true. Anyone with a hard copy from Pivot directly to supporting this?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Can the frame be ordered without a shock?

Pivotal figure
    That's a good question! I'll have to ask the sales guys on that though. I'm also asking them for some clarification on the warranty details regarding shock options as we get asked this quite often.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have to say this reflects pretty poorly IMHO on Pivot as a company. I understand warranty claims can be very tough, especially with how bikes are ridden now, but this at first sniff smells like a company that is either not confident in their product or looking to get out of warranty responsibilities. I hope this is not the case, as I am largely pleased with my bike. Maybe a thread should be started as to what seat posts, seat post clamp, head sets, rear brake calipers, bottom brackets, or any other product used industry wide that is routinely and correctly fitted that will void the warranty from Pivot?
    Last edited by gdnorm; 07-28-2014 at 10:46 AM. Reason: grammar

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    ........ It's always best to check with the manufacturer before changing out key components like shocks, bolts, etc...Even though some of the other bikes can be changed to a coil shock they do require the correct version (not just any coil shock will do). ......
    Alas we are checking with the mfg but getting no clear answer other than "No". Ibis at least gave an answer on why the HD does not come with a coil: Ibis Mojo HD's lack of coil shock option explained - Bike Intelligencer

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    from fatties on stock stuff
    HA! Funny.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Alas we are checking with the mfg but getting no clear answer other than "No". Ibis at least gave an answer on why the HD does not come with a coil: Ibis Mojo HD's lack of coil shock option explained - Bike Intelligencer
    In 2010, when that was written, they did not.....later their position was revised. Pivot (specifically Mr. CC) should take a page from that playbook. Few riders will be likely to want a coil shock on the Mach 6, because most just do what they're told. Those who do, probably know more about what they want and how to ride. I'm going to guess more warranty claims come from fatties on stock stuff.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    We sell our frames as spec'd, any changes to this can be done at the dealer level. Every frame includes a shock.

"The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    In 2010, when that was written, they did not.....later their position was revised. Pivot (specifically Mr. CC) should take a page from that playbook. Few riders will be likely to want a coil shock on the Mach 6, because most just do what they're told. Those who do, probably know more about what they want and how to ride. I'm going to guess more warranty claims come from fatties on stock stuff.
    Correct on the HD, eventually people found out it rode perfectly fine with a coil: Coil shock on Ibis Mojo HD - how it rides? Perfect.
    And even Push had a tune for it: Mojo HD with a Cane Creek DB versus other coils: Which coil is king?

CC does have a CCDB coil fit for a medium and larger aluminum and carbon 5.7