VooDoo user.

Carbon Pivot's on the Horizon.......

The way I see it, we will likely be seeing some Carbon from every manufacturer out there.
    Wonder how far off Pivot is from their first carbon rig. More than likely the M4 then M5.7 and M429. Could even make it's way to the Firechicken and Phoenix.

Hmmm. Well just thinking. Sooner OR Later?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm betting on yes! Carbon links is a good indicator of more carbon to come. Maybe not this year though, or at least not until interbike. They haven't even released the revised M4 to the public yet (that I know of), or the phoenix for that matter. To me the smart business move is to let the new stuff saturate the market a bit, then release something else new. Maybe the 429 since they haven't revised that lately.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I think you guys are right that it is inevitable that most/every manufacturer will have to offer carbon to stay competitive, at least in the light XC/race bikes (Mach 4, 429).

That being said, one of the reasons I bought my Mach 5 was that it is a high-end bike in aluminum. After years of racing XC on carbon bikes I really don't have much desire for another carbon frame for riding on dirt.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansible
    I'm betting on yes! Carbon links is a good indicator of more carbon to come. Maybe not this year though, or at least not until interbike. They haven't even released the revised M4 to the public yet (that I know of), or the phoenix for that matter. To me the smart business move is to let the new stuff saturate the market a bit, then release something else new. Maybe the 429 since they haven't revised that lately.
    The New Mach 4 has been available for the past 2 months, we have stock on that frame now, we are currently sold out on Mach 5.7 - but there are plenty of them out there as we sold out our first 2 shipments already - we have a couple XL sizes left, but a full size run of the New Mach 4. COME GET SOME!
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

the train keeps rollin
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Why not? I would imagine Pivot would use it to make an incredibly stiff, durable bike, not some 'wafer thin' XC bike.
    "It looks flexy"

the train keeps rollin
    buck the trend, stick with what they do best.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I don't know, a 6.3lb carbon Firebird would be tempting.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    According to the man, carbon it's on it's way.
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

mtbr member
    Should I hold off on the Mach 5.7 buy then ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank1979@optusnet.com.au
    Heck no!
    "It looks flexy"

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by crank1979@optusnet.com.au
    Hell no, apparently is going to be another 1.5 - 2 years.
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

mtbr member
    Fair enough then. I hope that doesn't leave Pivot too far behind their competitors. I think they need a few models in carbon just because others are doing it.

I just have to wait for my quote from the lbs now.

High Alpine Adventure

Make mine Ti...

Titus has been (was) doing Hydroformed Ti ... If Chris would start working with that, I'd be all over a Pivot.
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It also depends on how long you want to keep your bikes. I like to buy super-nice bikes, but then ride them for many, many years. I've heard even top carbon bikes should be shelved at 3 - 4 years.

I can see the 4 and 429 going carbon first, though. That application, where people won't buy a 4 because of 1/8th of a lb over some other frame, makes sense, and hopefully they aren't taking big hits tooo often.