mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Carbon frame durability (Mach 5.7)

Hi All,

I'm pondering pulling the trigger on a Mach 5.7 frame, possibly carbon. I like the anodized finish which I realise Pivot do on their aluminium frames, (my 2 year old 5Spot looks pretty much as new). I like the way they don't buff up like a painted/clearcoated frame.

Can anyone comment on how the carbon frames do in this regard?

Also how do they stand up to smaller stone chips etc? Wouldn't like the lacquer to get perforated too quick...

Thank in advance,
    Al

mtbr member

RE: Carbon frame durability (Mach 5.7)

Demo'd one I thought the finish (paint) was excellent, as far as durability I can't comment
    Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Board Express

mtbr member
    The bottom tube will chip over time. Easy solve with any number of aftermarket frame protection materials. Otherwise, folks ask if my 2012 5.7c is new this season, even though it has a few crash scars. I.e. it hides the cosmetic stuff well.

Addicted
    May 2006
    My 5.7c has been getting thrashed and beat and ridden hard since I've received it 7 months ago. The frame still looks brand new. The finish is excellent! Get one.

mtbr member
    My first frame broke at the 5th ride. My frame never had any shock or blow, the frame protection was absolutely new and no scratch. I never crashed it but the the diagonal tube cracked.

It was a demo bike for fair and exhibition but totaly new (never ride) when I bought it.
    I'm living in France, warranty was very long to exchange my frame...

Now i'm hopping the new one will be more durable!

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    I have a team green 429c and the color over the carbon has worn and scratched pretty easily. I had one or two spots were cable rub wore through the color on only one ride.

I hit up the spots that started wearing with heli tape and it has solved most of the issue. I do have some pretty good chips and such where I have laid it down on some rocks. I find a solid coat of mud and dirt does a ton to hide this.

I am sure the black carbon bikes are much better than this. It seems like the color over carbon is the issue. I've come off of ano also and it does not compare in terms of the finish durability. However, I didn't buy a carbon bike to have a bomb proof finish! I bought it based on its weight and performance. Check the wear spots and tape accordingly. Cover dings with mud. Everything is good!
    - 2013 Pivot Mach 429 C
    - 2010 Niner MCR
    - 2009 Cannondale Super Six HM
    - 2007 Santa Cruz Super Light