mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Bummer - Fox Float CTD FIT 29

So for the past 4 months with my awesome Pivot Carbon Mach 429 C, I have never felt really at home with the Fox Float CTD FIT 32 system (Factory, Kashima coating). C (Climb) mode hasn't really lock anything out (including front) and D (descend) mode always felt sketchy.

I have been trying to understand why my riding as almost taken a step backwards compared to my 2012 Trek Rumblefish with Fox DRCV shocks. Things that I have cleaned in the past have become almost unmanageable with the bike bucking and hitting terrain features more abruptly than I am used to. Downhills are much more timid and I feel like I really have to ride tentatively (coupled with the super abrupt Deore XT breaks with metal pads (switching to resin), and not really the best experience).

I chalked all of this up to the stiffer, lighter frame causing me to bounce around and skip over rocks and the more "advanced" shock system needing me to step it up and get with the program as a rider. But...

I have never been able to lock out the front (I know there is supposed to be a small amount of movement, but I can actually compress the front shock fairly easily 2+ inches in climb mode just with my body weight alone) and there really isn't much difference in Trail or Descend for both front and rear shocks.

On a whim I took the bike in to compare the front and rear shocks with the new Pivot 429C bikes that are on the floor at my local LBS that have the same shock system.

WOW - HUGE difference. Climb mode for front shock is almost completely locked out, and rear shock still has "some" movement, but nowhere near as much as on my bike. D mode is super plush and controlled. Realizing the PSI may be different in the display bikes, but still the entire characteristic of the bike was way different. The near lockout of the front fork in C mode gives this away.

What have I been missing all of this time? Service said damper is probably blown in both shocks and 2 different people in the shop could not tell the difference among C, T, and D modes for both shocks - the thing is - the bike has ALWAYS ridden this way - I just didn't have anything to compare to.

So off the shocks go to Fox for 7+ days of waiting around to ride my awesome bike again.

Frustrating, but at the same time, liberating to know that I am not going crazy and my riding skills are not deteriorating as a result of owning a better bike.

BTW: Yes, I had the PSI correct, sag adjusted correctly, and rebound adjusted correctly. Even with all of that, virtually no difference between climb, trail and descend modes as far as compression. I would guess the entire low / high speed damping is completely FUBAR'd also.

Anyone else have similar experience on a 2013 Pivot 429C XT/XTR with Fox Float CTD FIT Kashima? Will the heavens open up and the angels sing when I can actually experience my Pivot with the correct shock performance? :-)

mtbr member

Not specific to pivot, but didn't fox made changes between 13 and 14 forks/shocks?

Your suspension seems to be problematic from the beginning and I hope Fox will take care of that!

Pivotal figure
    With the new CTD suspension you should have a VERY distinct change between the 3 settings or there's something wrong. Even if your sag was completely messed up you'd still notice the difference between Descend and Climb. I can honestly say I've never heard of anybody having both the fork & shock malfunction right away. Did you notice it right off? I've heard of riders forgetting to switch back out of Climb mode before a descent and overworking the suspension but that's about it (and you'd notice it pretty fast if you had both ends in climb on the way down )
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Yep - I honestly felt this was how the suspension was supposed to act. Front has never locked out. CTD no real difference both front and back. Had the bike since Feb. about 50 hours.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have had troubles getting the Fox CTD to be a consistant performer. I have owned a 2013 float 32 29 and never really got comfortable with it. I now have a new bike 429c and has a 2015 Fox float 32 CTD with pretty much the same mannerism as my old one. I can say that the 2015 has been improved with the extra setting in trail mode (7clicks between hard and soft settings)but to be honest did not make much difference for me.

In my experience I went 20psi under what fox recommends for the fork and this feels better for me also I actually leave it in descend mode in the rooty and rocks sections and it feels much more stable for me. My biggest complain right now is it does not hold a line for me and tends to pogo stick even with rebound all the way soft. I am still playing with tuning the fork and at around 150 miles of ride time but its almost there and I am a little on the obsessive side.
    2014 Pivot 429c

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    Not specific to pivot, but didn't fox made changes between 13 and 14 forks/shocks?

Your suspension seems to be problematic from the beginning and I hope Fox will take care of that!
    I've been told this by the local giant dealer when I was researching getting a new bike recently. I have a 2013 with the fox ctd and hated it. Seemed like I was plowing through the travel with the correct sag but it was harsh as heck if I added much more air to quit using all of the travel. Had push add their magic to it and it works much better, descend mode is actually a reasonable option now instead of just riding a wet noodle of a fork.

I found the fork to not be progressive enough for my liking. It was decent for small bump but when I started going over rooty terrain or taking small drops I was blowing through travel. Descend mode was really unsettling as you could almost go through the travel just by pedaling out of the saddle. The fork was worse than the shock. I've heard the newer models are much, much better.

Long Live the Gorn!
    Fox has a program to replace the old CTD 2013 cartridge with the new 2014 one for $65. Hopefully that is what you are getting done..maybe you are getting the 2015 cartdidge. ... big difference to me...I did it and it now rides like my 2014 fork. C actually locks and D has less dive... Trail about the same.

I don;t think this fork is the "Plushest Fork" there is but its working for me now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerector View Post
    I've been told this by the local giant dealer when I was researching getting a new bike recently. I have a 2013 with the fox ctd and hated it. Seemed like I was plowing through the travel with the correct sag but it was harsh as heck if I added much more air to quit using all of the travel. Had push add their magic to it and it works much better, descend mode is actually a reasonable option now instead of just riding a wet noodle of a fork.

I found the fork to not be progressive enough for my liking. It was decent for small bump but when I started going over rooty terrain or taking small drops I was blowing through travel. Descend mode was really unsettling as you could almost go through the travel just by pedaling out of the saddle. The fork was worse than the shock. I've heard the newer models are much, much better.
    I think you nailed it - probably because of the crapped out damper, I have to go with too much PSI to get the sag right and to get proper bottom bracket clearance. The D mode in my current (crapped out) fork is MUCH stiffer than the D mode of the floor models, and the rebound is not as fluid. Then the C mode has tons of play. So it is like I am not getting anything I am supposed to get - D mode too stiff, C mode too much travel. Service manager at LBS says it is likely they will replace the dampers. I will update as the process goes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SDMTB'er View Post
    I think you nailed it - probably because of the crapped out damper, I have to go with too much PSI to get the sag right and to get proper bottom bracket clearance. The D mode in my current (crapped out) fork is MUCH stiffer than the D mode of the floor models, and the rebound is not as fluid. Then the C mode has tons of play. So it is like I am not getting anything I am supposed to get - D mode too stiff, C mode too much travel. Service manager at LBS says it is likely they will replace the dampers. I will update as the process goes.
    I would be proactive and ensure you are getting the latest and greatest stuff, and not just a repair of your sub-par 2013 damper. Even if you have to pay a little for the upgrade it will be well worth it. My advice is don't just wait and see what they do for you; talk to them and get the best they've got. Your stuff is in the shop anyway, so it is the perfect opportunity.

mtbr member
    May 2013

After reading through this, i'm feeling pretty lucky for a change. I have a Fox CTD 29er FIT with 34 mm stantions and absolutely love it. I have a remote CTD adjuster and that makes a big difference. Because it runs through the travel so easily, the remote lockout should come standard.

It sounds to me that some guys might be expecting the fork to work differently than it was intended. Don't you want to use all of your travel? Otherwise why have it? As long as you don't feel it bottom out unless from a big hit, you should be fine.

And one guy above said he opened up the rebound and pogo'd around...yep. That's exactly what should happen. You need to tighten up the rebound so that it pushes out fast enough without bouncing you up. Run the same trail multiple times with the rebound at opposite ends to feel the difference and then tweak it till you find "your" sweet spot.

Peace.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Russhole View Post
    After reading through this, i'm feeling pretty lucky for a change. I have a Fox CTD 29er FIT with 34 mm stantions and absolutely love it. I have a remote CTD adjuster and that makes a big difference. Because it runs through the travel so easily, the remote lockout should come standard.

It sounds to me that some guys might be expecting the fork to work differently than it was intended. Don't you want to use all of your travel? Otherwise why have it? As long as you don't feel it bottom out unless from a big hit, you should be fine.

And one guy above said he opened up the rebound and pogo'd around...yep. That's exactly what should happen. You need to tighten up the rebound so that it pushes out fast enough without bouncing you up. Run the same trail multiple times with the rebound at opposite ends to feel the difference and then tweak it till you find "your" sweet spot.

Peace.
    When did you get your bike (or forks?) Apparently the 2013 model CTD FIT (really anything CTD) had major problems. 2014 seem fine by all accounts. I got my bike in Feb 2014 so it is probably a late 2013 bike with late 2013 suspension from Fox.

Not sure who in this thread was discussing not wanting full travel - that is exactly what I want. As I mentioned, I understand rebound and have mine set appropriately. But when all settings are dialed in, and you have a blown damper, nothing really matters then, does it? This is why when performing technical moves on rock gardens (up and down) the bike didn't really "comply" but bounced and bucked because the damper was shot. And just re-iterating - there barely any difference between climb, trail, and descend modes.

All I can say is the fork and shocks on the new Pivot 429Cs (CTD FIT 32) are night and day different than how mine have performed all along and I finally understand now why I have felt less confident on this otherwise amazing bike than I did on a mid-level bike (Trek Rumblefish Elite). I wish I knew more what to expect from day one because the bike has always felt this way (too much travel in climb, too little stroke utilization in descend).

mtbr member
    May 2013

No, dude i wasn't talking about you. You sound like you've done your home work and understand wassup. I don't read through al this again but there was one guy who pumped up the shock because he was using all the travel and another guy was talking about pogoing.
    To those guys, using all the travel can be a good thing. You should be set up so that you do use most to all of your travel on rough trails without bottoming out hard on hard hits. And if you're pogoing, turn up (towards turtle) the rebound damper.
    Have you ever watched off-road truck racing? They tale big jumps and land without bouncing. That's because they have really stiff rebound so they don't bounce.
    Peace.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    For me personally, I got my CTD setup over the 2013 winter Jan or Feb is when the bike arrived so probably some of the first CTD stuff put on bikes. My rebound was about the only setting I was happy with. I didn't like going through half or more of the travel every time I took off from a stop sign while riding on the pavement to the trails, even in climb mode.

The top of the fork felt good but the mid was not so great. I was using most of the travel on light trails, descend mode was rubbish. Once I had everything redone by push there was a lot more progressive use of travel and I ran the same air pressure/sag and rode a lot more aggressive trails and it performed way better.

There was limited amount of adjustability with the CTD stuff as well so I assumed being the weight that I am, 220, didn't help much as I would need to run dampers a little heavier to get the same effect as lighter riders.

Either way, the issue has been solved with the retune/rebuild job by push and there's a lot better control of travel now in the fork. Much less brake dive and less suspension settling in corners. Rough corners is where I had a lot of issues before as the suspension would squat a lot at higher speeds and started getting an unsettled feel.

Now having a SID RCT3 on my hardtail race bike, I'm 100% the old CTD setup was not as good. The RCT3 out of the box works very much like the fox CTD after I had push set it up, there are distinct differences between the 3 settings. The SID has a lot more user adjustability though which is nice.