Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004

Broke my AL M5.7, what should I expect?

The bar that connects the lower link and the non-drive side of the rear triangle snapped a few days ago. I'm bummed. I called Pivot and sent a photo on Thursday, and still waiting to hear back from them.

It's an early 2011 frame, so I'm not expecting any warranty coverage, but it would be awesome if there were spare rear triangles lying around somewhere, although it's unlikely. Do they sell discounted frames to replace damaged ones?

Anybody else find themselves in a similar situation? What happened?

mtbr member
    Simple rear triangle replacement. Not sure of the cost, though, a 5.7c replacement rear is $400, so I'd imagine it should be less for the ALU rear. If your LBS orders it Monday, you should get it within the week depending on you location.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Unfortunately the rear triangle is the most expensive part of the frame, due huge amount of welding in it. Can't recall the actual price but Euro price was almost twice of the 400$ quoted above.
    In addition to that they only had new model rear triangles with through-axle and PM brake mounts.

Local dealer handled the issue nicely, no problems with anything.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Isn't the warranty period 3 years? That's what the website shows.

You aren't supposed to post pictures of broken frames on here. It hurts the manufacturers reputation. Allegedly. You should take it to your bike shop, then come back here remove the pictures and post that the bike shop said it wasn't a crack. Or something...

Bob

mtbr member
    Yes, as long as he's the original owner, Pivot's warranty is 3 years, so he should be fine.

And also yes, you should refrain from posting implied negative posts until you resolve things with the shop/company. I'm pretty sure you're all set, though.

And one final tidbit: don't post pictures that are 6000 pixels wide. Resize the damn things and post NORMAL websized pictures.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Yes, as long as he's the original owner, Pivot's warranty is 3 years, so he should be fine.

And also yes, you should refrain from posting implied negative posts until you resolve things with the shop/company. I'm pretty sure you're all set, though.

And one final tidbit: don't post pictures that are 6000 pixels wide. Resize the damn things and post NORMAL websized pictures.
    I was joking. He did nothing wrong.

Bob

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Whether someone just says they broke their frame or says it and includes photos doesn't really make a difference. The difference lies in how the company deals with it, but I have faith that they won't be ***** about it...now that I've realized that it's a 3-year instead of the 1-year warranty that I thought it was earlier. Just takes a little bit of patience.

I love the 5.7, which is why I want another one to replace it.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Did you contact your dealer? Pivot really leverages their dealer network for most things. Warranty work too I bet. Contacting Pivot directly might not get you the results you seek.

Based on lots of reading on this forum.

Bob

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN View Post
    Did you contact your dealer? Pivot really leverages their dealer network for most things. Warranty work too I bet. Contacting Pivot directly might not get you the results you seek.

Based on lots of reading on this forum.

Bob
    I'll bring it by the local dealer on Monday, I didn't at first because for some reason, I thought the warranty was only for one year and it's easier to make a phone call and send emails than drive around town...plus I don't have a high opinion of them.

obsessive
    Results?
    Go out and ride your bike

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JMW503 View Post
    Simple rear triangle replacement. Not sure of the cost, though, a 5.7c replacement rear is $400, so I'd imagine it should be less for the ALU rear. If your LBS orders it Monday, you should get it within the week depending on you location.
    Um, not sure where you got that $400 price from, but that isn't correct.
    Imagine the RT is 1/3 the retail cost, the FT is also 1/3 and the shock, and other links, bearings and parts incorporate the other 1/3 the price. So, the Mach 5.7 Alloy sold for $2,199 retail, so the RT would be around $750 retail, plus shipping.

I'm always more curious as to why someone creates a post like this, rather than just call the company? Every company has their warranty issues, but no company likes to feel they are getting their name and image smeared in the mud before given the opportunity to handle the potential warranty issue. Just seems the wrong way to handle a situation like this.

To the OP richle, why not call us first? 480-467-2920? Or email us info@pivotycles.com

To anyone else with a warranty or a potential warranty issue for any company. Try contacting the company first, before posting stuff like this on the web, discretion goes a long way when you do that.

FYI, we have a 3 year warranty to the original buyer, here is a link to our site regarding that. Tech Info | Pivot Cycles - Mountain Bikes for XC, Trail, Downhill

Best Regards,

Daniel Limburg
    Terrestrial Sales Manager
    PIVOT Cycles
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23 View Post
    Imagine the RT is 1/3 the retail cost, the FT is also 1/3 and the shock, and other links, bearings and parts incorporate the other 1/3 the price. So, the Mach 5.7 Alloy sold for $2,199 retail, so the RT would be around $750 retail, plus shipping.
    The $400 quote is the actual price y'all charged me to replace my 5.7c rear triangle back in July of this year. Doesn't include the shipping charge to my LBS.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006

I'm always more curious as to why someone creates a post like this, rather than just call the company? Every company has their warranty issues, but no company likes to feel they are getting their name and image smeared in the mud before given the opportunity to handle the potential warranty issue. Just seems the wrong way to handle a situation like this.

To the OP richle, why not call us first? 480-467-2920? Or email us info@pivotycles.com

To anyone else with a warranty or a potential warranty issue for any company. Try contacting the company first, before posting stuff like this on the web, discretion goes a long way when you do that.

FYI, we have a 3 year warranty to the original buyer, here is a link to our site regarding that. Tech Info | Pivot Cycles - Mountain Bikes for XC, Trail, Downhill

Best Regards,

Daniel Limburg
    Terrestrial Sales Manager
    PIVOT Cycles
    Did you read the whole thread? He emailed you guys a picture and called and was patiently waiting for a response thinking he was out of warranty. Several posters responded with reassuring information and encouragement. He reported that he loves his bike.

Your website says contact your dealer...

Tech Info | Pivot Cycles - Mountain Bikes for XC, Trail, Downhill

The most discouraging post in this thread is signed from someone from Pivot. Perhaps Pivot should update their website to say posting of broken frames will void your warranty. I was starting to get the itch for a Firebird and then I read Dan's post....

Time to rethink...

Bob

mtbr member
    Bob - To be fair, Ken and Brian are always spot on whether via MTBR posts or phone call's and represent Pivot quite well. My experience with everyone else at the company has been top notch. The company builds great bikes and treats their customers extraordinarily well, and you'd be VERY happy with a new FB. Don't let Dan's single message sway you in a different direction.

Dan - maybe next time just follow-up with the OP in a private message to make sure he/she was taken care of. You can also create a nice-to-your-customers sticky thread in the Pivot forum that politely reminds them that good etiquette calls for working through the LBS and/or calling y'all before posting warranty questions and pictures. Like Bob said, the OP and the rest of the folks on the thread love our bikes and want to support y'all. Whether intentional or not, your post was a little off putting towards the OP and obviously ticked off a potential customer.

dog
    sit! stay!
    ^ true, everyone from Pivot has always been very helpful and more than fair with me including Dan... so that did seem uncharacteristic... i made it a habit to not hit the send button on an email when I am annoyed or angry... when I have I have always regretted it later ...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN View Post
    The most discouraging post in this thread is signed from someone from Pivot. Perhaps Pivot should update their website to say posting of broken frames will void your warranty. I was starting to get the itch for a Firebird and then I read Dan's post....

Time to rethink...

Bob
    Bob,
    Sorry to upset you. It just surprises me when people post photos like this, that is all. I did read this entire thread, and it still doesn't explain why the photo would be posted in the first place. It would be one thing if we didn't stand behind our product like we do. There are a number of threads supporting our customer service, and how we handle our warranty issues, all without photos...

If we didn't stand behind our product, and a customer felt compelled to post the photos in order get action from us. But this is not the case. We handle all warranty situations quickly and easily. Posting a photo doesn't motivate us to take care of a situation any differently than those that are handled under a normal process.

I can see you support my opinion in a post below. I should practice my own discretion when posting, and I probably shouldn't post while jet lagged...

Compared to other companies in the industry, we have very few warranties, with the amount of frames we have sold, and the number that have failures like this is very small. We have less than a 2% defect rate, and when you compare that to other companies who are happy with 6%, it's an outstanding record.

I'm just asking our customers to be kind, and walk their bike through the normal channels for handling a warranty.

Now, it appears we all need to get back on our bikes and go for a ride! I know I need a good ride.

Daniel
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMW503 View Post
    The $400 quote is the actual price y'all charged me to replace my 5.7c rear triangle back in July of this year. Doesn't include the shipping charge to my LBS.
    As a point of clarification, my circumstance was a crash replacement with a small partial discount because it couldn't fall under full warranty. Normal price to an LBS is ~38% more.

Kiwi that Flew

Broke my AL M5.7, what should I expect?

To put a different spin on it I find posting frame failures useful as I gives owners an insight on where their frame may break, so they can then be more diligent in periodically checking these areas for hairline telltale cracks prior to a catastrophic failure that may cause personal injury. And like Pivot Dan said, all manufactures have failures - so what's to hide??
    I'd buy a Pivot, they seem like great bikes and a good company.
    deano
    Last edited by deanopatoni; 09-07-2013 at 05:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Dan - You're the only one making Pivot look bad here. As a Pivot owner I appreciate knowing where potential issues may arise / where to concentrate on when doing inspections, much like Deano said.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by deanopatoni View Post
    To put a different spin on it I find posting frame failures useful as I gives owners an insight on where their frame my break, so they can then be more diligent in periodically checking these areas for hairline telltale cracks prior to a catastrophic failure that may cause personal injury. And like Pivot Dan said, all manufactures have failures - so what's to hide??
    I'd buy a Pivot, they seam like great bikes and a good company.
    deano
    I agree with this statement. I am also sympathetic Dan's position that it looks bad for his company if there are pictures posted. I would prefer to have the information as Dean stated, but others might not look for all the facts and just assume that based on a picture they should not buy a certain brand.

I am still interested in a Firebird so my re-thinking is over.

Hope the OP and the rest of us get some good rides in over the weekend. Damn hot here in Phoenix but need to set an early alarm.

Bob

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ctopher63 View Post
    Dan - You're the only one making Pivot look bad here. As a Pivot owner I appreciate knowing where potential issues may arise / where to concentrate on when doing inspections, much like Deano said.
    That's good to know. I've never thought of it that way.

I'll change my point of view towards future posts like this. And hope I didn't ruffle too many feathers here. Though, we don't like seeing breakages, I can see how posting these can help future buyers.

I do appreciate every comment here, and I'm thankful that we do have such loyal fans on MTBR, that share helpful information on handling situations like this.
    Thanks guys!
    Jack Handy

obsessive
    Quote Originally Posted by deanopatoni View Post
    To put a different spin on it I find posting frame failures useful as I gives owners an insight on where their frame my break, so they can then be more diligent in periodically checking these areas for hairline telltale cracks prior to a catastrophic failure that may cause personal injury. And like Pivot Dan said, all manufactures have failures - so what's to hide??
    I'd buy a Pivot, they seam like great bikes and a good company.
    deano
    I feel the same way. All products in all industries have their failure patterns, and knowing what to look for is your ounce of prevention. I'm doing my semiannual teardown on my 5.7 this week, and now I know where to check for cracks.
    Go out and ride your bike

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eurotrash666 View Post
    Results?
    Just got it back on Saturday.

The rear triangle was replaced with the newer version with a thru-axle. Color doesn't match (Gray frame/Black rear triangle), but whatever...it doesn't really stand out.

Just came back to close the loop, didn't realize that a small shitstorm had erupted while I was waiting for the frame, which really wasn't that long of a wait considering everything involved.

I threw everything together on Saturday night and took it out on Sunday, and it's still awesome, and maybe even a little better with the thru-axle.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    That's good to know. I've never thought of it that way.

I'll change my point of view towards future posts like this. And hope I didn't ruffle too many feathers here. Though, we don't like seeing breakages, I can see how posting these can help future buyers.

I do appreciate every comment here, and I'm thankful that we do have such loyal fans on MTBR, that share helpful information on handling situations like this.
    Thanks guys!
    Dan, I tried to word my posts in a way that wouldn't be seen as casting doubt on the company or the products. Sometimes **** just breaks, and we as consumers, as well as you as representatives of the company should keep that in mind and not make broad assumptions or take any comment about this reality of life in a way it wasn't intended.