Thread: Break in?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Break in?

I own a Mach 5.7 that I bought pre-owned that has never made the creaking noises that i have read so much about. I bought a new 429 alloy this winter and installed a new headset and bottom bracket and crankset/chain. Finally got to ride the bike and from the pedal strokes down the drive to burn in the rotors I've had a click/creak. After that first ride I checked everywhere for lube I missed or loose components. Rose again today after all that and still have it. I was able to look down and watch the rear suspension work and it's clearly coming from there somewhere. I don't have a torque wrench to check the bolts so before I take it somewhere to check I wonder should I ride more to break it in? Only have 30 miles on it but it is driving me nuts every foot I ride hearing that.

mtbr member
    Check your seat. A lot of times what we think is this or that is really just a creaky seat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Pulled the post. It was greased but I did a more thorough job. I am now wondering if it could be the Chris King headset. I have never had one and I was convinced that it was in the front the first ride. I'm wondering now whether I had my head down close to it and was just convincing myself it was in the rear. Riding again tomorrow now that I've pulled the chain and pulled crankset out and re-assembled. Everything is lubricated where it should be and bottom bracket cups have had Loctite on them. We'll see.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Rear dropouts? Also a dirty or worn cassette or stretched chain.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    If you run clipless pedals, grease up the springs. Mine got so dry and squeaky, it got me worried thinking it was the BB. Once I got it greased, no more noise.
    Everything is better on 2 wheels!
    Giant Anthem X 29er
    Jamis Dakar Sport 26er
    http://mountainbikingtexas.blogspot.com/

Pivotal figure
    If you've never had a CK headset you'll want to verify that you have the thin nylon washer installed (pretty sure they're still using that thing??). I went through that with my first one, didn't believe that piece was so important.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the replies. All the parts that have been mentioned are brand new. I do have the nylon washer installed on the headset. The ride on saturday found the noise somewhat subdued. I am going to get a torque wrench and make sure that everything is in spec on the pivot bolts and also saw some info on applying grease to parts of headset. I never even considered the springs on the new pedals so that will be addressed as well. Thanks!!

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 1trakryder View Post
    Thanks for the replies. All the parts that have been mentioned are brand new. I do have the nylon washer installed on the headset. The ride on saturday found the noise somewhat subdued. I am going to get a torque wrench and make sure that everything is in spec on the pivot bolts and also saw some info on applying grease to parts of headset. I never even considered the springs on the new pedals so that will be addressed as well. Thanks!!
    Yup, headset spacers like to creak. Mine made noise all weekend, waiting for a disassembly and regrease.

Heard the creaking, checked all the drivetrain and pivot bolts, then kept creaking the next ride until I did a tough climb with very light pressure on the bars and it stopped.