mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Brad's Pivot Mach 6 Build...a whopping 23.39 lbs!

here is my Mach 6 build it turned out a lot lighter than I thought it would, it was weighed with pedals, Stan's sealant in the tires and ready to ride. A Thompson stealth dropper post will be added when they are available. the specs are as follows:

- medium Mach 6 frame
    - Rock Shox Pike 160 mm fork
    - Light Bicycle rims with Chub carbon hub (front) 240s hub (rear)
    - Ashima AI2 brake rotors with ti rotor bolts
    - XTR trail brakes
    - Schwalbe Rocket Ron tires 27.5 x 2.25
    - Ritchey World Cup carbon bars
    - Token carbon seat post
    - Race Face Next SL carbon cranks
    - Sram xx11 drive train
    - KMC sl11 chain
    - Uno 70 mm stem with ti bolts
    - Lizard Skins DSP grips

I'm probably missing something but this bike rocks. It blasts up the climbs, rips the descents and corners like it is on rails. I love this thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brad's Pivot Mach 6 Build...a whopping 23.39 lbs!-dscn0301.jpg  

Brad's Pivot Mach 6 Build...a whopping 23.39 lbs!-dscn0302.jpg  

Brad's Pivot Mach 6 Build...a whopping 23.39 lbs!-dscn0304.jpg  

Pivotal figure
    Holy...That's what my Les 27.5 weighs with XO1 build
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    23.39 Lbs (10.6 Kg) ?? Possible ???

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Very nice build Brad. Amazing weight for a Mach 6, I rode this bike two days ago and its a rocket going up & downhill. This bike could be built to 23 lbs. even, as it has older heavy Shimano pedals, finned ice tech pads. With XTR pedals with Ti axles, Aluminum backed XTR brake pads ( my Kettle carbon XTR pads are 8 grams a set ), and some derailleur tuning - carbon cages, lighter jocky wheels and Ti and Alum bolts this bike will be under 24 lbs. with a dropper seatpost. I'm very tempted to go the route myself.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Impressive build.

mtbr member
    Put a dropper post and some worthy tires on there and you'd have a very sweet 26 pounder
    www.seanhannity.com <=not what you think it is.

Homeopathy is the Air Guitar of Medicine.

mtbr member
    That's impressive! Mine keeps getting heavier, but at around 28# It's still a nimble beauty of a machine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by turfnsurf View Post
    That's impressive! Mine keeps getting heavier, but at around 28# It's still a nimble beauty of a machine.
    You have to love these bikes, any way you choose to build them they are awsome

Type A
    Was this built up for cross country or all mountain? It seems like quite a few parts were chosen due to light weight but restrict what this frame is capable of doing. With a few changes that sacrifice weight, like wide bars, ice tech rotors, burly treads, and a dropper, you would unlock more of this frame's potential. In my opinion, the weight penalty is well worth the trade off. Regardless, to each his own, enjoy...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Overhillthruthewoods View Post
    Was this built up for cross country or all mountain? It seems like quite a few parts were chosen due to light weight but restrict what this frame is capable of doing. With a few changes that sacrifice weight, like wide bars, ice tech rotors, burly treads, and a dropper, you would unlock more of this frame's potential. In my opinion, the weight penalty is well worth the trade off. Regardless, to each his own, enjoy...
    define cross country and all mountain for me, I cant put a label on it as I don't know where one starts and the other one ends. I just ride all kinds of terrain from the foothills of the Rocky Mtns. in western Canada to Sedona and South Mountain in Arizona. This bike was built for me and my riding style, I tend to build a bike with what I know works from years of riding not what some marketing firm tells me I need ( bought my first mtn bike in 1984) I weigh 165 lbs. and I tend to ride light and float over things by preloading the bike. It would not be the bike for a 200 lb. person, I already stated that a dropper is in the plans as soon as the one I want is available, the handle bars are 700 mm wide plenty wide for a guy my size and almost too wide for the super tight twisty single track we ride in western Canada. We are already seeing trees being cut shorter by these guys running super wide bars so they can make it through without having to do any work, this is wrong for way too many reasons. These rotors work awesome with the xtr brakes, tons of power I do not drag my brakes and over heat them. I have used these tires for years and have never cut a sidewall. Maybe I'm just lucky, we ride some huge gnar at South Mountain in Arizona and ride tons of wet off camber roots, rocks and logs in western Canada and I know I am pushing my luck but until I have problems they are my tire of choice. When we ride in Canada we like to earn our downhills, we will climb for 2.5 to 3 hours up some brutal terrain, off camber roots, rocks, mud, tight trees, some really steep stuff and keeping a bike light pays off. Then we turn around and let er rip and this bike just eats this **** up. So to answer your question its built for both I guess and short of huge jumps and hucks this bike can do it all, that's what my downhill bike is for. Give credit to Pivot for giving us such a versatile bike.

Type A
    This is about the laws of physics, not marketing hype. The rocket Ron's are a sub 500 gram race day tire with little to no durability. I've rode them and ripped off multiple knobs and worn half the center tread in single day. Also, there is a direct correlation to rotor weight and heat dissipation, i.e. stopping power. The reason why shimano is currently ruling the brake game is due to this tremendous stopping power. Shimano themselves stated that a huge reason behind this was the ice tech rotor design. If you ever rode both designs, you would wholeheartedly agree. Like I said, to each his own, but this is akin to putting racing slicks and drum brakes on a monster truck. Will it work? Sure, but it's holding back the full potential of the truck.

mtbr member
    I am sure the OP will figure out soon enough whether those tires work for him or not on this bike. My Mojo HD started out with 540 gram Nobby Nics a few years ago, no dropper, 26 lbs etc. He may have wanted to see just how light he could get it and will migrate up over time, or it may just fit his current style of riding. For me the HD unlocked a whole new style of riding and things changed over time because I was tired of getting flats etc. In the beginning I didn't need heavier tires, but things changed after a few months and realizing how hard I could actually hit things and keep going.

Bradittude, enjoy the bike and have fun. It is a killer build and shows how much flexibility is built into the platform.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder View Post
    Put a dropper post and some worthy tires on there and you'd have a very sweet 26 pounder
    This!