mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Blackspire Defender Bash Guard for Mach 5.7 Al, XT 785 2x crank

Hi,
    I need a bashguard for my XT 785 2x crank 24/38T. I see that blackspire makes the Defender that fits XT crank. I have only been able to find 36T and 40T. I would buy 40T but there is a note on the Blackspire website that the 40T guard will not work with E-Type FD.

Blackspire - Defender 104BCD 2X | Blackspire

Has anyone been able to try this? Is there a way around this? Or does anyone know where I can get a 38T? Any other suggestions?

Thx

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    blackspire has a 38T model on their website now, but you'll need to pay $72 +$25 (s+h) to have it shipped to the US. I haven't seen any US retailers that carry the 38T model yet. I'm in the same boat and will wait for a more reasonable price before I buy one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thaks for the response. I contacted Blackspire and they gave me a very quick response. I just went ahead and got it from them. Yea, price and shipping cost were more than I wanted to pay but waiting might be more expensive as I would also have to replace my big ring.
    I should get it friday.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    @sancycling - How is it? FD clearance?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fr33z0n3r View Post
    @sancycling - How is it? FD clearance?
    Ditto. $100 is pretty steep for a bash guard, but it looks like a solid one.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Ditto Ditto. What is that clearance on the FD? Its going to be this guard or the MRP option that cost way more. Linkage Pick it Up PIVOT MACH 5.7 [[Me and My Pivot]]

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I just got mine a day ago. I now need to buy a torx wrench for the crankset. :/ I think I may have a clearance issue but hope that I can find out I can adjust my Deore XT FD-M770-10E .... :/

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Pics of Defender 104BCD SHIMANO 2X 38T installation on a Deore XT FD and M785 2x crank 26/38T:

IGNORE THESE PICS and SKIP THIS POST to see the end result - which is better. Leaving pics as an example.

------------------------
    I beleive I require a few washers to improve the distance to the chain on 2 of the 4 bolts. Probably 2mm on each would suffice - thoughts?

thread 1 - rub on chain (right of center) - barely - and unsafe:
    Blackspire Defender Bash Guard for Mach 5.7 Al, XT 785 2x crank-bashguard-thread-rub-chain.jpg

thread 2 - half out to chain:
    Blackspire Defender Bash Guard for Mach 5.7 Al, XT 785 2x crank-bashguard-thread-half-out-chain.jpg

Clearance to Shimano Deore XT FD side
    Blackspire Defender Bash Guard for Mach 5.7 Al, XT 785 2x crank-bashguard-clearance-shimano-deore-xt-fd-side.jpg

Clearance to Shimano Deore XT FD front v1
    Blackspire Defender Bash Guard for Mach 5.7 Al, XT 785 2x crank-bashguard-clearance-shimano-deore-xt-fd-front.jpg

Clearance to Shimano Deore XT FD front v2 (very little clearance - maybe none if it wobbles)
    Blackspire Defender Bash Guard for Mach 5.7 Al, XT 785 2x crank-bashguard-clearance-shimano-deore-xt-fd-front-2.jpg
    Last edited by fr33z0n3r; 07-02-2013 at 03:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I used some washers that are thicker, so only 1 per bolt that was protruding. I ended up doing this on 3 of 4 bolts. The provided alum risers/washers provided may not work well for this was my quick untested assessment. But I could be wrong. They seem way too thick.

Blackspire Defender Bash Guard for Mach 5.7 Al, XT 785 2x crank-2013-06-22-17.42.58.jpg
    Blackspire Defender Bash Guard for Mach 5.7 Al, XT 785 2x crank-2013-06-22-17.43.10.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    It took me a while to find the time to install the BS Defender Bashguard. A bit late but here is my update/review.

I thought installation would be as easy as the diagram explains but it was not the case. It was all going smooth until I found that I needed to rise the FD about 2mm to get enough clearance, to do this I had to remove the crank. I was fortunate I had all the tools and if you know what you are doing it is pretty easy but it takes a bit longer.

I did not have the problem that fr33z0n3r had with the threads of the bolts hitting the chain. Or at least I didn't notice it even while riding.

I've done only one ride with it and it seems to work fine, shifting is unchanged. I did bang it with a rock and it held up fine, just some scratches as I would expect. My only concer is that if I happen to lose the chain to the outside of the big ring, the chain can easily get jammed between the bash and the ring and it will be a pain to get it out. I wish the bash was a bit closer to the ring to avoid this issue.

As many have mentioned, it is expensive but at the moment is the only available option so I had to suck it up. Hope it holds up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sancycling View Post
    As many have mentioned, it is expensive but at the moment is the only available option so I had to suck it up. Hope it holds up.
    My leg is worth $100 to me.

I did a race with this on yesterday and had no issues. Haven't checked for scrapes on the bash guard though. But I did not have any issues going up to the big ring, so thats important.
    Last edited by fr33z0n3r; 06-27-2013 at 05:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Good job! Spacers are a GO!

Changes:
    Switched to included spacers - they ARE the correct way to go.

Just follow the directions:
    http://www.blackspire.com/site_asset...RUCTIONS-A.pdf

This will provide plenty of clearance. This does mean it is closer to your foot, but it does not appear to be that significant.

Blackspire Defender Bash Guard for Mach 5.7 Al, XT 785 2x crank-bashguard-v2-spacer-place.jpg

Name:  bashguard v2 - clearance to Shimano Deore XT FD side.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  118.8 KB

mtbr member
    Are those pictures of the 38T version? I'm looking to get a bash for my 26/38T XT crank, but just want to know if the FD clears it.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Not as heavy-duty, but I wonder if it's possible to get just the bash pictured here and whether it would work:

Universal Cycles -- Sram XO & X.9 Chainring Sets with Guard (GXP)

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    Are those pictures of the 38T version? I'm looking to get a bash for my 26/38T XT crank, but just want to know if the FD clears it.
    Yes it's a 38T bashguard with my 38T crank. It could depend on your FD though. It would have to be pretty bulky to get in the way IMHO.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eds924 View Post
    Not as heavy-duty, but I wonder if it's possible to get just the bash pictured here and whether it would work:

Universal Cycles -- Sram XO & X.9 Chainring Sets with Guard (GXP)
    On a M785? I'm gonna guess no. But that seems to include two rings, so ...I still don't know. :|

I think the risers included with the Blackspire are key. If you can find dupes, then perhaps it will be fine.

I don't know the exact size for XO so this might be bad unless you check on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I just ordered a straightline one for $48. Well see if it fits. Fingers crossed.

Pivotal figure
    Pretty sure that's what BC has on his 5.7C. It works nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    I just ordered a straightline one for $48. Well see if it fits. Fingers crossed.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The straightline one doesn't fit yet. It didn't come with any spacers, so it won't work. It needs spacers to stand the ring off of the curved legs of the crank. With spacers and longer bolts it should work. I just contacted straightline to see if they have anything. I wish I had a small lathe so I could make some.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I went to my lbs, and asked for some chain ring spacers and longer bolts. They had a kit with multiple sizes. The ones I ended up using were about 4.5mm tall. I'm going from memory here, as I didn't measure them. They also set me up with what they called as triple length chain ring bolts. I used the factory nuts that fit inside the chain ring. It cost me an extra $8 for the hardware. I think it has better looks than the blackspire one too. So it's another option. The blackspire one was out of stock at the places I tried to buy one.