mtbr member

Bird 27.5 maiden voyage

I just completed the build on my new Firebird 27.5. Took it on its first ride today. I will wait to judge. It felt very different then I am used to. Not necessarily good or bad. Having been riding 29ers for the past 2.5 years there are a lot of changes here so it will take some adjustment. Smaller more maneuverable wheel and wheelbase, much more travel and plushness, way wider bar and shorter stem. I definitely noticed the short reach. I felt much more over the bars. Anyway, a couple issues I want to ask about. First, the rear mech cable housing where it passes over the rocker slipped down between the rocker and seat tube and got wedged. I have it zip tied to the little hole in the rocker. I didn't zip it tight though because it looks like I should leave it free to move as the suspension articulates. Anybody else have this issue? Second, did I make my chain too short for the amount of travel on the Bird? I did it according to the Park repair manual. Chain around the large chainring (32) and largest rear cog (36) and add an extra two full links or 1". How extended should my rear derailleur get? See the pictures of mine below.

24x36
    Bird 27.5 maiden voyage-uploadfromtaptalk1378960288895.jpg

32x28

From the top of the maiden voyage
    Bird 27.5 maiden voyage-uploadfromtaptalk1378960535904.jpg

Specialized Epic 29
    Pivot Firebird 27.5
    Last edited by rehammer81; 09-11-2013 at 11:05 PM.

dog
    sit! stay!
    I pull that zip tie fully tight so there is not movement. I even wrap the cable with electrical tape and put some kind of protective tape on the rocker to prevent rubbing...

The way to check if the chain is to tight is to use that same gearing, let the air out of the shock and fully compress it... If you can get full compression then you are OK... If not, the chain is too tight and you could really damage the drivetrain...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Interested to see how you get on with this as I am just about to go to a Pivot Mach 6 after a couple of years on 29ers. I have ridden a 27.5 and it did feel a little over the bars but I went straight from 29 to that so it was kind of exaggerated. Hope the move works out for you keep updating us!
    Last edited by m_t_b; 09-15-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Dissolved member
    I ride a Mojo HD, not a Bird, but the chain looks too short to me. The large-large+2links rule applies to hard tails. Do the same thing with all air released from the shock and with the suspension bottomed out and see how much more chain you need.

mtbr member

Re: Bird 27.5 maiden voyage

I have the links I took out of the chain. I also have some Shimano link pins. Will a Shimano link pin work in a KMC chain? I also have more master links. I didn't think it was a good idea to have more then one master link in your chain.

Specialized Epic 29
    Pivot Firebird 27.5

> /dev/null 2&>1

Quote Originally Posted by rehammer81 View Post
    Will a Shimano link pin work in a KMC chain?
    I doubt it the link pin is designed to EXACTLY match the diameter and width of shimano chain. Kmc may be slightly different, enough that it could fail. But you could always try and carry a spare master link in case it breaks.

I also have more master links. I didn't think it was a good idea to have more then one master link in your chain.
    Maybe, but seems like a better alternative than trying to pin in the links the regular way, every time i have tried to add links the old fashioned way on a 10sp chain, its failed within 50mi. That was with sram and shimano chains though. Never tried with kmc.

Will the chain fit your other bike? If so maybe start fresh.

As far as cables getting crimped, i just make sure that there is enough extra cable that they ride slightly high, above the rocker. You must use a real zip tie @the cable guide under the down tube in order to keep them tight enough that they stay high. The quick clips for the cable guides are too loose and the cable will creep back up the down tube, then you're back to pinching the cables in the rocker.

Sent from (redacted by nsa)

mtbr member

Thanks guys. For now I will just add a couple links in using the chain I cut off and another master link. I figure as long as I don't connect the master links directly to each other how can it really be a problem.

Specialized Epic 29
    Pivot Firebird 27.5

mtbr member

Bird 27.5 maiden voyage

I tried to set my chain up using that method and snapped two derailleur hangers on my Bird. There is a thread on this topic. I eventually went with a full length chain and a Blackspire chain tensioner. I'm running a 24/36 front and 12/36 rear and med length XT shadow +. It just seems like the FB likes a lot of chain.