Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Best Tires for Mach 6

Now that you have some miles on your Mach 6 what do you think is the best tire set up for the Mach 6? NorthEast All mountain Rider. Not Lift access DH. Currently on ardent 2.4 front/2.2 Rear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
    Now that you have some miles on your Mach 6 what do you think is the best tire set up for the Mach 6? NorthEast All mountain Rider. Not Lift access DH. Currently on ardent 2.4 front/2.2 Rear.
    I'm pretty happy with 2.35" Hans Damf tires on my M6. They are light grippy and roll fast.

The sticky compound is nice for wet roots and such if you face that.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Love the HD also. I'm on a Rock Razor rear and HD in the front. I swap a MAgic Mary in when I ride park.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have 2 NeoMotos on Derby's I am pretty happy with. Inexpensive tire online. May try the Purgatory next.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    duplicate post
    Last edited by phantom beef; 1 Week Ago at 03:30 PM. Reason: duplicate post

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    IMO, the stock tires (Kenda Nevegal (Front) and Honey Badger (Rear)) sucked, and after only two rides I swapped them out for Spesh 2.3 Butcher (Front) and 2.3 Purgatory (Rear). So far I've logged over 500 miles on this tire combo along the front range trails of CO, Moab, Fruita, and Sedona; and have nothing but good things to say about this setup; however I plan to try out Spesh's new Slaughter tire for the rear when it's time to replace.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Will be interested to try that combo out. I had the Butcher/Purgatory combo on my last 2 Enduros and liked them. I feel I have better traction on the NeoMotos, but it could be the Derby rims, the bike, who knows. For $35/tire delivered, they are pretty good though and have help up well.

mtbr member
    I have run Hans Dampf/Rock Razor and HRII/Ardent and really liked them. The Schwalbe casings do not hold up very well to our high speed rocks here in Socal though so I have stopped purchasing them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Is the HRII slow on the Flats? What Tire Pressure are you running on it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    I have run Hans Dampf/Rock Razor and HRII/Ardent and really liked them. The Schwalbe casings do not hold up very well to our high speed rocks here in Socal though so I have stopped purchasing them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Are you using HD on front and back? I was concerned about the sidewalls not holding up on the rear. I get a lot of side wall wear on the rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I'm pretty happy with 2.35" Hans Damf tires on my M6. They are light grippy and roll fast.

The sticky compound is nice for wet roots and such if you face that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    WTB Vigalante Team Issue, 2.3, great for east coast, rock, roots and loam, roll pretty damn good too.also impressed with durability and wear.

mtbr member

Re: Best Tires for Mach 6

Is the HRII slow on the Flats? What Tire Pressure are you running on it?
    I run 20-25 in the front and 25-30 in the rear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Why the HRII on front instead of Ardent? Is it fast enough?
    I run 20-25 in the front and 25-30 in the rear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Have you tried Ardent or HRII to compare against WTB?
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    WTB Vigalante Team Issue, 2.3, great for east coast, rock, roots and loam, roll pretty damn good too.also impressed with durability and wear.

mtbr member
    Why the HRII on front instead of Ardent? Is it fast enough?
    Ardent does not have nearly enough grip for me in the front. Fastest rider I know runs Ardent's front and rear though. All comes down to personal preference.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Cape, I was a die hard Maxxis tire man for years, and have used every tire in the DH and AM line that they produce.Ardent is a good front not so good rear like salespunk says they don't track well on rear and actually can be a tad unpredictable on front too at speed over knar, but roll good.HRII best overall for front and rear,but have more rolling resistance and ran them mostly until my LBS convinced me to give WTB's a shot and now am on my third pair, you can really push these tires through all terrain they track and hold up well and at 60.00 not a bad price point.they have a new tire called Breakout 2.25 coming out soon which I plan to use for rear.still am a HRII fan but are pricy and gain no significant advantage over Vigilante's.

Another tire to look at is Michelin Wild Grip'r 2 for rear, big knarly side nobs not as versitile as Vigilante's but have a bit of advantage on looser terrain, and semi wet conditions.

mtbr member
    I run a Hans damf on front & purgatory on rear, the purg is a great rear tyre as it provides better rolling resistance to hans dampf & does sacrifice a little grip over hans but it main benefit it lasts around three times longer than the hans as the hans just doesn't last as a rear the side tread just tears off. I recommend trying the combo :-)
    Life's too short to be soft

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Tech - What tire pressure are you running? I have been going lower at 18-20psi for great traction but the front ardent seems too vague. Will try raising it but thought the HRII might grab better with a higher pressure. maybe switch rear to purg.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Ardent does not have nearly enough grip for me in the front. Fastest rider I know runs Ardent's front and rear though. All comes down to personal preference.
    I run Ardent EXO 2.4 F-23psi/R-25psi and they hook up great IMHO for me and my conditions.

Keep on Rockin...
    Minion DHF/DHRII for more AM riding and to be able to push the bike nearer to its fullest potential.

Tried the Spec Purg (good trail tire) and Ardents. All were good but not even close to the Minions in terms of trail control. I don't think the Purg and Ardents offer enough traction to be able to push this bike as hard as it likes to be ridden.

In Search of Singletrack
    I'm running this on the front. Best front tire I have ever ridden, at least for gnarly, rocky, loose over hardpack conditions like we have here in SoCal. Disadvantage of this tire is its weight, although they make a 800+/- gram version with different compounds..I deal with the weight because it is the best thing ever when things get fast. Even at loose as all hell Mammoth I never lost the front end. I have a Mach 6. I have run the hans dampf on this bike and my last bike, and while it is a good all-a-rounder, it isn't anywhere as good as this in the corners and packs up in the mud. I haven't ridden the michelin in the mud (since it appears it will never rain again here) so I can't comment on its performance in the mud. I run it tubeless at anywhere from 22 to 29 lbs depending on what I am doing. So far it is wearing really well.

In Search of Singletrack

Forgot thte link to the michelins

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I also have WTB Vigalante Team Issue, 2.3 tires. Love them. Works in and on everything so far....mud, sand, pumice, etc. having fun with them.
    I have too many bikes, but it's not enough

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Just put the HRII 2.4 on the front and moved my Ardent 2.4 to rear. 24 psi on both. First ride - Way better traction. Did not realize how much front tire slide I was accepting on the Ardent. The front now stays on line and the rear grabs great on loose climbs. Rolls well, maybe a little slower, need another ride to evaluate more. Downside - A lot more small bump harshness. Will try lower psi and/or drop 5 psi on front fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Front and back? What psi?
    Quote Originally Posted by deerock View Post
    I also have WTB Vigalante Team Issue, 2.3 tires. Love them. Works in and on everything so far....mud, sand, pumice, etc. having fun with them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast