Old School Member

... and if we just ... Avoid Pivot demo days - they are bad for your budget!

Local Pivot dealer sponsored demo days from Trek, Niner and Pivot. I rode a ton of bikes on some of my favorite trails. Most were really quite good- getting harder to find a "bad" bike from an established company. That said, I absolutely fell in love with one bike out of them all.

It had more travel than I thought I wanted. It cost well more than I wanted to spend. But when I rode the 2012 Mach 5.7 Carbon it did not matter. It by far was the best bike I had ridden in a long time. A bike that fun to descend and handle the rough stuff with should not climb that well. But it does. I think its witchcraft. But I rode a ton of other bikes hoping to find one I liked as much at a lower price point. Alas, no luck. The Mach 5.7 spoiled me.

Today I went into the shop on a unrelated matter, and the new 2013 Mach 5.7 Carbon was in stock- OMGWTFBBQ! Its even nicer than the 2012?!? Why are you doing this to me?

The Fox up front, the full XT build, the carbon bar/wtb saddle- the DT Swiss Tricon wheels- perfect. Just how I would have specced it anyway. The white grips are dumb on a mountain bike, and the tires are not a great choice for my area (easy fixes).

So yes, I just ordered one. A large 2013 Mach 5.7 Carbon. Resistance was futile.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Pivot was my first ever demo. I sold my 5.7 carbon after riding the 429C, and its geometry made me sell 2 current bikes and go with new bikes with toptube lengths and geo that were almost identical to that medium 429C.

The Pivot demo guys were 100% professional and did not do the upsell on anything.

Old School Member
    Agreed- the Pivot demo guys were pretty chill. The 429 was pretty popular while I was there- I could totally see getting one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Got me too. Sold my Stumpy 29er and never looked back! I did look back at my bank account and felt a little pain but when I looked at a pic of my new baby, it was all good!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Avoid Pivot demo days - they are bad for your budget!-pivot-5.7-040.jpg  

Old School Member
    Nice set up- love the single ring!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Demoed 429 about three weeks ago in CO. Was sold right then. Ordered 429 today with XT/XTR build. Should be ready next week.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjoshuanyc View Post
    Got me too. Sold my Stumpy 29er and never looked back! I did look back at my bank account and felt a little pain but when I looked at a pic of my new baby, it was all good!
    very nice, I like the chain ring as well. take a look at my set up in my profile. I love the bike!!!!. Don't mean to break the thread, but I'm curious that you went from 29er back to 26, which the tendency is the opposite. Could you share some feed back as I always hear the other side going from a 26 to a 29er but never from a 29er to a 26.