mtbr member

Anyone tried the new SRAM 2X front e-type on Firbird yet?

Some nice new stuff coming out. I'm running a triple crank with a bash, so 2x10 on my 'bird and while the SLX is nice, XX seems nicer

http://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/pr...ont-derailleur
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I've had an XX setup on my firebird for almost a year now. I started with 42-28 coming from a 1x10 that I used for a while, and if I was a light XC rider that's probably where I would have stayed. I moved to 26-39, because I'm not light, and it helped climbing at altitude. The low of 26/39 front/rear is about the same as 22/30 in a traditional 3x9. Also, as I got fitter, I spent most of the time in the 39 ring, and began to use the 26 more as a bail only for very steep climbs on local trails, which are sea level. I use conti rubber queen 2.4 front and rear now, and don't often touch my DH or XC bikes, so the top end of a 39 ring is enough for me.

The front shifting with XX on the firebird and its floating mount isn't as good as XX I've used on bikes with normal mounts. Allowing the front derailleur that freedom means it moves, in addition to the chain, when shifting to the large ring. I zip tied the mount so it wouldn't move, and the shifting improved to where it should have been. However, the derailleur mount hits the rear stay as the suspension compresses, when it's not free to move. I still think it's better than the front shifting of the triple ring XTR crank, XT derailleur, XO shifter I've got on my tracer as a comparison. The difference isn't as pronounced as it would otherwise be.

It takes a bit of dremel work on the mount for the XX to fit. There's no adjustment with the direct mount, so changing chainrings means a new derailleur as well.