Not just famous; infamous

Anyone Push their M5?

I have an '08 and am thinking about having the compression damping opened up completely to increase the small bump plushness, but I'm wondering how much of a difference tuning actually makes on this bike.

Has anyone with a M5 gotten their shock tuned by Push? If so, could you share what you had done and what level of difference it makes in the ride quality? Just wondering what results people have gotten with tuning.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Without reading the body of the post, just the title. I would have to say I do not recommend pushing a M5 or any bike for that matter. Bikes are made to be ridden not pushed. There are occasions where my friend push them up hills they cannot clear but that is rare and for a short period of time. The only time I recommend pushing a bike is when you are not the one riding it and it is you child who you are helping to learn to ride.

But I have heard great things about Pushing the fox shock so that it works better with your weight and riding style. I am thinking about doing the front fork first though becuase the M5 does a really good job as is with the current HV shock that I have.

mtbr member
    How about trying a newer RP23 with Boost Valve that is tuned by Fox specifically for the Mach 5?

Quote Originally Posted by bauhaus
    How about trying a newer RP23 with Boost Valve that is tuned by Fox specifically for the Mach 5?
    3 reasons I can think of:

1) $160 (Push) vs $400 (new shock)
    2) Custom valving vs stock valving
    3) My current shock is already "specifically tuned" for my bike.

I guess my question is, for those of you who have Pushed your RP23, does it make a day and night difference in the small bump compliance, or is the difference more subtle? I know that Darren and the guys will do a good job, I would just like some real-world feedback specifically from M5 riders.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    If you have an 08, you probably have the smaller air canister on your shock. You can pick up the larger volume air can for about 75 bucks.
    This makes a SIGNIFICANT difference in the plushness of the bike.
    You can call your Pivot dealer and they can get it from Pivot directly as they usually have a few in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by el rob
    If you have an 08, you probably have the smaller air canister on your shock. You can pick up the larger volume air can for about 75 bucks.
    This makes a SIGNIFICANT difference in the plushness of the bike.
    You can call your Pivot dealer and they can get it from Pivot directly as they usually have a few in stock.
    Yeah, I've been using the HV sleeve for about a year. It's an improvement, but doesn't solve my issue. It's helped the mid- and ending-stroke plushness quite a bit, but the small stuff just isn't being smoothed out. And before somebody says "lower your tire pressure", I'm running between 25 and 30 psi. (I love tubeless tires!)

Recently I rode a friend's Trance, (with a stock shock), and the small bump compliance was amazing compared to my bike. I'm guessing that, despite having the lowest factory compression and rebound tune, the shock's overdamped for my bike. Sending it to Push seems like the thing to do. I'm just looking for some feedback from Mach 5 riders who have already done it. Seems like there may not be many out there, which means I may end up being the guinea pig this winter.

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhandluchs
    Yeah, I've been using the HV sleeve for about a year. It's an improvement, but doesn't solve my issue. It's helped the mid- and ending-stroke plushness quite a bit, but the small stuff just isn't being smoothed out. And before somebody says "lower your tire pressure", I'm running between 25 and 30 psi. (I love tubeless tires!)

Recently I rode a friend's Trance, (with a stock shock), and the small bump compliance was amazing compared to my bike. I'm guessing that, despite having the lowest factory compression and rebound tune, the shock's overdamped for my bike. Sending it to Push seems like the thing to do. I'm just looking for some feedback from Mach 5 riders who have already done it. Seems like there may not be many out there, which means I may end up being the guinea pig this winter.

Just throwing the HV sleeve at your pre 2010 shock is not enough for the mach 5 to get better small bump compliance. You still end up with a higher than optimal low speed tune. Sending your shock to PUSH is the answer. I have done it, and it makes all the difference. Mach 5 will still pedal great because of the Dw-link, but now has a much lower or zero low speed shock feel depending on what tune you are looking for.

Greg
    Voltron

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yogreg
    Just throwing the HV sleeve at your pre 2010 shock is not enough for the mach 5 to get better small bump compliance. You still end up with a higher than optimal low speed tune. Sending your shock to PUSH is the answer. I have done it, and it makes all the difference. Mach 5 will still pedal great because of the Dw-link, but now has a much lower or zero low speed shock feel depending on what tune you are looking for.

Greg
    Besides the small bump compliance, does your Pushed shock feel significantly different than stock?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Had my 08 switched to HV sleeve and factory tuned. It did improve the small bump compliance but not nignt and day. The biggest improvement was the tracking over ruff technical trails at all speeds. The wheel followed the terrain better.
    Ed

My other ride is your mom
    I had my 09 with the HV sleeve PUSH'd in June and I like it.....I had both the fork and shock done up and I requested that they focus on maintaining climbing efficiency for me at the expense of DH performance since I use my M5 to do enduro stuff.

What I did not like about my stock setup was that It was either way too stiff, or way too plush which Darren explained is common on this bike with lower weight riders.....I weigh 145-150 depending on the size of the burrito in my gut and have another 15lbs of gear with me in general with 3L of water. Again, what I was looking for was greater tunability because I was either too harsh or too soggy...as for the fork, I had the traditional gripe that the ramp up was too harsh at the end of the stroke and I was not getting full travel out of the fork.

What I noticed after the PUSH: For starters....it seemed like my Pro-Pedal actually served a purpose now. Before....I could hardly notice a difference in the shock when the pro-pedal was on or off. What I gained with this was the ability to go from plush to efficient with a flick of the switch....before, I had to favor my setup psi based on what kind of ride I was going to do because using pro-pedal never made much of a change for me. As for the fork, I now have full travel and don't feel like I'm pinging off the boulders as I was before.

In general....the change was not night and day for me at first because I was still trying to use them like I had learned to use the stock fork and shock over the previous year....however, as I've ridden it hard since June, I've really come to love the ability to go with one psi setup which meets all of my requirements.

YMMV

Thanks for the responses guys. It's nice to hear first hand testimonials and not have to dive in blindly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Great thread!

I'm glad someone asked this question because I too was considering sending my 08 RP23 into Push for my Mach 5.

I was going to have it tuned and have the HV canister added as well but was not sure if the larger cansiter would fit in my Small frame - it doesn't look like there is enough real estate in there.

I was also wondering if for the $$ canister, rebuild, tuning + shipping it runs prob $250ish if the increase in performance was worth it.