mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Anyone know what tire clearance is like

on the 429 carbon? Please, someone say it"s better than the aluminum version.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    That seems to be the big question regarding that model. There was a thread a week or so ago where that was brought up. No one has posted up with a knowledgeable answer. I thought I read they were going to be shipping out to shops by the end of next month, so hopefully we'll find out soon enough.

mtbr member
    I asked this question at Interbike and was told that there should be no issues with tire clearance. After looking at the bike, I agree.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by swinkey View Post
    I asked this question at Interbike and was told that there should be no issues with tire clearance. After looking at the bike, I agree.
    That's great to hear. I can't wait to see one "in person". If it rides half as good as it looks, I think I'll be making the switch to wagon wheels for next year.

Pivotal figure
    The rear triangle design on the Carbon 429 is the same style as the 5.7C. The clearance issue with some tires on the Aluminum 429 has been on the cross brace between the vertical supports but with the carbon frame that brace isn't needed.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Rode the 429c at outerbike and the 429.

Tire clearance is not an issue on the 429c. There is almost an inch of clearance around the slant 6. It would not surprise me if you couldn't fit a 2.4 in there.

Other impressions and comparison's are difficult as I was riding an XL 429 and only a L 429c. The carbon bike appeared to be more flickable, certainly easier to manual. Still had the same great feeling when you attacked with the bike. I know I will be getting one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by krandrus View Post
    Rode the 429c at outerbike and the 429.

Tire clearance is not an issue on the 429c. There is almost an inch of clearance around the slant 6. It would not surprise me if you couldn't fit a 2.4 in there.

Other impressions and comparison's are difficult as I was riding an XL 429 and only a L 429c. The carbon bike appeared to be more flickable, certainly easier to manual. Still had the same great feeling when you attacked with the bike. I know I will be getting one.
    Thanks for posting krandrus, I'm super relieved to hear this. I demo'd an aluminum version this summer and really liked it, but was put off by the minimal amount of clearance in the back end. I guess I no longer have any reasons to put off ordering one now. I don't know if my LBS will get one in the first shipment at the end of November. But no worries, by that time I'll have retired all my "skinny-tired" bikes and will be riding the fatties until all the snow is gone next March.