Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Anyone build up a Mach 6 with a Cane Creek Double Barrel and a Rock Shox Pike?

I've heard the Cane Creek Double Barrel and a Rock Shox Pike is a magic setup. Have any of you used it on the Mach 6?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I'm about to pull the trigger to start a build with that setup... anyone done it yet?

OriginalDonk
    I asked the shop that sold me my Mach 6 frame about the CCDBA and it sounds like it's definitely an option. One thing to note is that you can't just grab any 8.5 x 2.5 CCDBA. You need to have somebody special order you one that's compatible. I believe you need the "15mm open end-eye" version of the CCDBA to ensure that it plays nice with the Mach 6's linkage. Let us know if you snag one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I will be building one up on Wednesday with a Pike and a new Rock Shox Debon Air Monarch+ which I am really excited to try. That shock got unbelievable reviews.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Yeah, you're right... There's a specific part number for the compatible eyelet version. I was wondering if anyone has done it and if they have a tuning for the CCDBA that works well? CC hasnt established a base tuning yet for the mach 6...

mtbr member
    FWIW I rode a CCDBA on my Endorphin and found that the Float-X feels just as good on the M6. I'm sure if you spend hours and hours though tweaking that thing it might be better. So many possible combinations though!

Good luck!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Anyone build up a Mach 6 with a Cane Creek Double Barrel and a Rock Shox Pike?-m6-cb-air.jpg
    I just installed a a DB Air CS yesterday. First ride was SICK!!! We are a Pivot Dealer and the one for the M6 needs to come directly from Cane Creek. Let me know if you need one.

Definitely better than the Float X with little tuning.
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by speedraceratl View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m6 cb air.jpg 
Views:	2052 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	890502
    I just installed a a DB Air CS yesterday. First ride was SICK!!! We are a Pivot Dealer and the one for the M6 needs to come directly from Cane Creek. Let me know if you need one.

Definitely better than the Float X with little tuning.
    Hi Speedraceratl,
    What size is our frame? Do you think it will fit on a Med?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ToneLOcust View Post
    Hi Speedraceratl,
    What size is our frame? Do you think it will fit on a Med?

Thanks
    mine is a medium
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    More feedback on performance. Just put 30 more miles on her yesterday which included 4500' of climbing and almost 5000' of descents. Not sure I could go back to the Float X. I have more control in the turns and can attack turns with more speed without the rear sinking through the travel. Really impressive on the climbing. No bobbing just a nice steady ride. And that's a 36T I'm pushing.

Oh and it screams through the rough stuff coming down. Just monster trucks everything.

OriginalDonk
    If anybody is looking to pick up a CCDB Air that's compatible with the Mach 6 you'll need to have you shop order Cane Creek Part #BAD0919. For hardware you need to specify 8x22. Sounds like it's pretty much a semi-custom effort from Cane Creek. Definitely nice that they are offering something that works.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    PM me if you want one. comes with mounting HW.

AOK
    mtbr member

Anyone build up a Mach 6 with a Cane Creek Double Barrel and a Rock Shox Pike?

Ha! I just saw that bad boy in the shop when I picked up my new Pike the other day. Nice ride!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    So how does the bottom out feel? And as far as sag on CC...is it just like the X or sit higher or lower in travel?

I have the PIKE, but I don't think the X is a "great" rear shock for the 6.....

What does this shock run $ wise?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pedal-man View Post
    So how does the bottom out feel? And as far as sag on CC...is it just like the X or sit higher or lower in travel?

I have the PIKE, but I don't think the X is a "great" rear shock for the 6.....

What does this shock run $ wise?
    so I have mine set at 30% sag and have yet to bottom it out. but I have not taken any huge drops as of yet. with the CS switch on or off it sits in the same area as the sag. with the CS switch on you do not feel the platform as much as you do with the Fox.

Price wise msrp is $675 I can get you on one for considerably less. Heck if there was a group buy I would support that.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    also I have mine set up for pedaling efficiency so while it is plush it is only to a certain extent. this works well for me. you may be different and that is where this shock shines because you can adjust to your liking

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by speedraceratl View Post
    Not sure I could go back to the Float X.
    Not surprised . Fox is the best thing that ever happened for the Avy guy .
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

OriginalDonk
    I may pull the trigger on a CCDBA for the Mach 6 through SpeedRacerAtl's shop. Let me know if you're interested in a group buy in the next few days and we may able to swing a slightly better deal. We'd all be going through a reputable shop in Atlanta.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    i may be interested in this as well. looking at the m6 pike and this rear shock for my build.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OriginalDonk View Post
    I may pull the trigger on a CCDBA for the Mach 6 through SpeedRacerAtl's shop. Let me know if you're interested in a group buy in the next few days and we may able to swing a slightly better deal. We'd all be going through a reputable shop in Atlanta.
    I would be interested in a group buy as well....I talked to him about the price, if we could get that a little lower, that would be sweet

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hmm, the CC DB Air sounds promising. But dang, these things are expensive. $519 is the best I've seen.

I wonder how the new Rock Shox Monarch Plus DebonAir compares? I am a big fan of RS goods over Fox for sure. The Debon's are about $500 so not far in price from the DB.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I'd be interested too...am in the process of finalizing the parts I want for a build...the CCDBA is definitely on the list...(along with the pike)

OriginalDonk
    Looks like 4 or 5 of us would be willing to go through SpeedRacerAtl for a CCDBA. Hopefully we can score a bit of a deal. Anybody else interested? Any idea on wait times ATL?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    So basically it is a standard CC DBA CS or non CS which is eye to eye 8.5 x 2.5 shaft length, the only thing that is special order is the eyelet hardware which is 8x22, is that correct?

I have a friend that will let me borrow a DBA off his RUNE and see if I like it, same measurements, the only thing is the eyelets are a tad smaller than the X....so sometime this weekend, we'll see if that can be done swapping out different fit kits and such.

OriginalDonk
    Look forward to hearing if you can pull it off. The way I understand it is that the standard CCDBA won't fit on the Mach 6 and you need to special order a shock with a slightly different eyelet spec. Let us know how it goes.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    OD you are correct. This is quoted from their website:
    "DBAIR-CS will not fit XS frame. Requires 15mm open end-eye. Shock must be ordered specifically for Mach 6; stock shocks cannot be modified."
    Also I think the tune is different, not saying you can't adjust it to what the base tune of the Pivot model is but I had to do very little tinkering with it to get it to where I liked it.

mtbr member
    Since the Cane creek has a 14.7mm eyelet size I wonder if it would be possible to turn down the mount bolt from 15mm to make a standard DB fit? I don't have a Mach 6 so I haven't seen the mounting hardware, just thinking,,,

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    Since the Cane creek has a 14.7mm eyelet size I wonder if it would be possible to turn down the mount bolt from 15mm to make a standard DB fit? I don't have a Mach 6 so I haven't seen the mounting hardware, just thinking,,,
    I was wondering the same thing. Can't we just use a bushing/reducer to make it fit? If we have to buy direct from CC then we're paying full MSRP. I refuse to pay full retail on anything. Dang, now we're pushing $700 after shipping.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. Can't we just use a bushing/reducer to make it fit? If we have to buy direct from CC then we're paying full MSRP. I refuse to pay full retail on anything. Dang, now we're pushing $700 after shipping.
    myitch, read previous posts regarding group buy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The RWC needle bearing guy mentioned boring out 14.7mm eyelets to 15mm for some cheap amount, around $25. CC made these shocks w/ several eyelet sizes, there's a long post about it somewhere here.

mtbr member
    My thought is change the size of the mounting bolt rather than modifying the shock. A bolt should be cheap and then any CCDB would fit.

OriginalDonk
    I think the issue is that there is no mounting bolt passing through the eyelet of the shock. The the diameter of the clevis plays nice with the Fox Float X eyelet. I imagine you could cut a reducer bushing to get a large CCDBA eyelet down to the clevis diameter if somebody wants to go that route.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    My thought is change the size of the mounting bolt rather than modifying the shock. A bolt should be cheap and then any CCDB would fit.
    Then you have a stress riser where the reduction meets the original diameter on Pivot's pin. Making the eyelet 15mm just makes it compatible with more things.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I will see what can be done when I get it it my hands....if anything, go down to the local ACE hardware/Tru-value and see what fits. they usually have those odd ball parts in stock for anything.

I will take some pics of how this turns out, if it does happen. This CC DBA is the first generation...I know Kenny from PIVOT and I'll be riding with him this weekend, he has a CC DBA on his Firebird...but he had to special order a narrower body to work since it is vertical mount.

I'll have to find out if the settings for the CC DBA for the 5.7 listed on the CC site are a close enough starting point for the M6 as well.....Fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    While I like tinkering and making things work that are not necessarily suppose to, this alternative about reducing the eyelet and/or clevis seems like a lot to go through rather than just get the right part for the job. Just my opinion though.

If you put a dollar value on your time (which I do to keep myself from being too involved in some projects) this has the potential outweigh any benefits rather than fit and some sense of accomplishment. Another opinion

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think trying to find either a bolt to fit or enlarging the mount hole are the best options as mentioned above. That way we can use any DB Air shock and not have to buy one direct. I mean we're talking 0.3mm. That's nothing major at all

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Well...after talking to Kenny this morning...you are correct. It needs to be a special order, not just because of the mounting hole diameter etc....the whole eyelet that is the mounting point, is different and will not slide all the way into the Pivot M6 shock mounting points.

Same was true for his Firebird....CC just had to be different than all the rest of the shock mfgrs and be just a little bit different.

He basically said that if a CC DBA is a 10, then a Float X is a 7….strictly based on fine tuning adjustment.

He also mentioned getting the X Avalanched or add spacers in the air chamber, similar to how the RS PIKE has air tokens....maybe another thought...just enough to tweak it a bit.

Float X High/Low SSD Kit
    Last edited by pedal-man; 10-19-2014 at 03:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    the whole eyelet that is the mounting point, is different and will not slide all the way into the Pivot M6 shock mounting points.
    Both ends, or just the rear horse shoe link?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    My understanding is both ends....neither will fit one way or the other....won't slide in or the eyelet is too narrow/skinny=sloppy, you would have to shim it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I will have a DB Air CS available for shipping come tomorrow. So if you had been thinking about it but did not want to wait here's your chance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    SpeedracerATL,

do you know if the CCDBA CS comes from the factory preset? What setting are you running? I ask so I can have some sort of starting point.

HSC
    LSC
    HSR
    LSR
    and
    % sag + air pressure and your weight

Thanks,

mtbr member
    May 2006
    SpeedracerATL,

do you know if the CCDBA CS comes from the factory preset? What setting are you running? I ask so I can have some sort of starting point.

HSC
    LSC
    HSR
    LSR
    and

Thanks,
    There is a factory preset. I'm travelling at the moment so I am unable to give you the settings you are asking for. However I'm running 30% sag and I weigh 180lbs maybe 190 with gear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Is there anyone else who's been running a CC with astounding results? I'd just like to hear more from others real world experiences.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Will this still give the same geo that pivot had intended on? Is it still running at 155mm of rear travel?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    SpeedracerATL,

HSC
    LSC
    HSR
    LSR
    and

Thanks,

The info is listed on the CC website....

As for me...I think I am going to get my X Avalached - SSD and extended res. cap.....half the cost of the CC DB and who knows..just might be the key

mtbr member
    The info is listed on the CC website....

As for me...I think I am going to get my X Avalached - SSD and extended res. cap.....half the cost of the CC DB and who knows..just might be the key
    +1 - that's the way I am leaning. Love the Avy shock on my Nomad. Best $$ I spent on that bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyla2 View Post
    Will this still give the same geo that pivot had intended on? Is it still running at 155mm of rear travel?
    changing the shock does not change the angles or geometry, or the frame's travel unless you get a shock with a different eye to eye or stroke length. if the shock works well you get improved responsiveness, better rebound and compression damping, reduced brake dive, better small bump compliance. these are usually things a tuner, like PUSH, sets up for considering your riding style, weight, leverage ratio of the frame you're using. but with this cc db air, you supposed can adjust all that yourself and not have to take it to a tuner and pay $100-200+.

But i'd still like to hear from some real end consumers, also known as bikers, who have actual ride experiences on this wallet-busting shock. besides speedracer, who raves about the shock but also just happens to own a bike shock that, oh natually just happens sells them them too. no offense speedracer but its just too convenient and you may not be unbiased.

im sure it's an awesome shock but we just spent $3k on the frame. Now to spend another $6 (after shipping and whatevahs) is just nuts to me. But who am I so say. I just spent $1400 on a frickin wheelset too. not okay. i'm gonna be broke and make payments on my cc. ratings will go down. okahy, i'm ranting and raving. i'm tired over and out...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    But i'd still like to hear from some real end consumers, also known as bikers, who have actual ride experiences on this wallet-busting shock. besides speedracer, who raves about the shock but also just happens to own a bike shock that, oh natually just happens sells them them too. no offense speedracer but its just too convenient and you may not be unbiased.
    No offense taken myitch I'm not itching for sales and anybody that knows me knows that I'm not into pressuring or pushing products on to people that I do not believe in. As a matter of fact I saw the interest and was filling the void at a more attractive price point for us M6 riders. I just shipped one to another board member so you will have another rider shortly and get an "unbiased" opinion

Ok and now for my plug: If someone wants one I have one available for immediate shipping.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Edit: email directly from Cane Creek...

"Both the DBAir-CS and DBInline will fit the Mach 6 and either would be a good choice (the inline if you want to save some weight). If you go with the DBAir-CS, note that you will need a specific shock with part number (BAD0919). Both shocks will change your life. Please let me know if you need anything else. "

Cheers!New Cane Creek Double Barrel Inline Shock Brings Twin Tube Tech to Trail Bikes Everywhere!
    Last edited by pedal-man; 05-20-2014 at 04:47 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yes there is. We called yesterday, and were told there was. But these are not quite available yet for any bike.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast