Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Asked Avalanche about their tune for the Float X for Mach 6 and this is what I got back:

"The advantage of the CTD lever is you can make changes to the compression on the fly, 3 fine tuning positions. The Conversion to a independent high/low adjuster will allow much finer tuning options but requires you stop and make the adjustments so not so well suited for the all mountain/Enduro rider, better suited for the dh only rider.

Our modifications to the CTD allow you to run the shock in Trail 2 without that harsh feeling on square edged bumps and rocks. Descend is not quite as soft and climb is not quite as firm, both are usable as actual shock settings.

I would not recommend the Cane Creek for this frame due to the rising rate linkage, the high speed circuits are a bit too restrictive and the shock will still feel harsh on square edged hits even with the high speed all the way out.

Thank you,
    Craig Seekins

Avalanche Suspension
    12 Davidson Road
    Colchester, CT 06415

Phone: 860-537-4306

Web Site: Avalanche Downhill Racing
    "

I know many have gotten good results with the DB Air and I like the idea of being able to tune myself exactly how I want. However, leaning toward the Avalanche tune. I like the ability to adjust on the fly and it's very easy to do with the CTD lever (although the CS can do some of that also.) If I can get the similar performance as the DB Air and not add an extra half a pound of shock, so much the better. Reviews on the forum for the Avalanche tunes have been very positive, although I don't know if I have seen anything specifically for the Mach 6.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Of course I can't fault Craig for "steering" you toward his tune, after all he is in business for this reason. But, I don't think he has it quite correct here:

"The Conversion to a independent high/low adjuster will allow much finer tuning options but requires you stop and make the adjustments so not so well suited for the all mountain/Enduro rider, better suited for the dh only rider."

As per my previous post….I haven't touched this shock for the last 2 weeks and I do most of everything….I have set it...and forgot about it!!!! Because I don't need to touch it all the time and play with it……The CC climbs, XC's and descends awesomely without needing to flip a switch..I don't even touch the CS on it..it's in open mode.

My main complaint with the X was just that….flipping levers and crap…I don't want to have to flip a switch for ups and then flip for downs and flip flip flip-flop-!!!!

Versatility is key….The CCDBAir turns this bike into what it was supposed to be….
    A fricken BEAST….won't look back on my purchase of the CC…carry on.
    Last edited by pedal-man; 11-12-2014 at 04:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Anyone build up a Mach 6 with a Cane Creek Double Barrel and a Rock Shox Pike?

Will be sending off today for a tune from Avalanche. Bottom line is that there is a bunch of happy customers of Avalanche here in the forums. Will let everyone know how the shock turns out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tadmcmichael View Post

I would not recommend the Cane Creek for this frame due to the rising rate linkage, the high speed circuits are a bit too restrictive and the shock will still feel harsh on square edged hits even with the high speed all the way out.

Thank you,
    Craig Seekins

Avalanche Suspension
    12 Davidson Road
    Colchester, CT 06415

Phone: 860-537-4306

Web Site: Avalanche Downhill Racing
    "
    There you have it, everyone who likes their CCDB on the Mach 6 is wrong! LOL
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I love my CCDB cs whith XV volume !!!! Amazing !!!

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag84 View Post
    I love my CCDB cs whith XV volume !!!! Amazing !!!
    Stupid question, whats xv volume? Lol. I just went ahead and pulled the trigger on a ccdbcs and fox 36.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Daxdagr8t View Post
    Stupid question, whats xv volume? Lol. I just went ahead and pulled the trigger on a ccdbcs and fox 36.

XV = eXtra Large Volume canister…you will be a happy camper

mtbr member

Yea cant wait got to wait a week at least. I never get why bike companies still carry fox shocks they suck for the most part.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalDonk View Post
    If anybody is looking to pick up a CCDB Air that's compatible with the Mach 6 you'll need to have you shop order Cane Creek Part #BAD0919. For hardware you need to specify 8x22. Sounds like it's pretty much a semi-custom effort from Cane Creek. Definitely nice that they are offering something that works.
    Got to double check tomorrow with my lbs if they got the correct shock with 8x22. They ordered from their distributor and i dont if its the same part direct from cc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Got to double check tomorrow with my lbs if they got the correct shock with 8x22. They ordered from their distributor and i dont if its the same part direct from cc.

It needs to be ordered directly from CC…not through BTI, QBP or whomever. They custom make this shock for the M6.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by pedal-man View Post
    It needs to be ordered directly from CC…not through BTI, QBP or whomever. They custom make this shock for the M6.
    Well i went there yesterday and they said they'll sort it out hopefully the did. It wont mount correctly if its not the right shock?

OriginalDonk
    Ask to see the Cane Creek box it came in. If it doesn't say part #BAD0919 then it's not the right shock and it will not mount correctly. Any on the fly solutions may void the warranty from Pivot and/or Cane Creek.

mtbr member

Thanks looks like the shock aint available anyways. Ill try to stop tomorrow and double check. They prolly be tired of my face right now

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Got the Float X back from Avalanche. Didn't want to derail this thread, so started a new one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Does anyone have a base tune they love for the DB air cs and the Mach 6?

Also, has anyone tried putting the Pivot sag indicator on this shock?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Bump for the info

Keep on Rockin...
    Watching.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Bump for the info
    Originally Posted by zigzag84 View Post
    Answer by Pivot:

"OK, here's how I have mine setup for my weight (with pack, approx 190 lbs)

Main air for 30% sag: 110psi

HSC: +1

LSC: +3

HSR: +1 1/4

LSR: +8

Hope this helps…enjoy the trails!

Best regards,
    Brien Gonzales"
    Thanx

In my case I use

HSC: +0.25
    LSC: +4

HSR: +2
    LSR: 8 clicks from max.

Hope this helps someone else.

This setting gives the CCDB CS the closest feel to a coil I could achieve.

Keep on Rockin...
    Long term durability reviews on the DB?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Had mine since September, so far with about 100 + hrs on it all good and use it pretty hard, doing jump lines and drops on most lines, very happy with it and a perfect complement to the Mach 6.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    still going strong with no issues
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    It was previously mentioned in the thread about Pivot acknowledging that the Float X needed some work and was going to be shipping frames with an updated tune on it. Does anyone know when this was supposed to happen? I ask being I should have my frame shipping out tomorrow and would like to at least try the update tune before shelling out more cash for a CC.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I believe all bikes shipping out are fitted with the "new tune". I'm sure someone can chime in on the numbers of the original tune code listed under the zippy that holds the sag meter on the float X. And then you can compare that to the tune code on your new frame..if it is the same ...send that MOFO back and ask for the the "new tune".

mtbr member

Send where? Pivot or fox? Im waiting for my ccdb to come and i might hold on to my float x if it doesnt fit my buddies specialized bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    If someone could post the shock tune from their older float X that came with their bike it would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I would say contact Pivot first and see if they can arrange for FOX to take care of it one way or another...it's no secret that the original tune was not good at all..IMHO

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It has been almost a year since I started this thread.I finally pulled the trigger and purchased the DB air CS. Now I have some questions.

1. The air valve is so close to my frame that I would scratch the carbon fiber if I were to screw in my shock pump. I got around this by removing the front bolt off of the shock, lowering the shock, and inflating it. I'll post pictures tomorrow, but this seems like something that Cane Creek should have addressed. Are any of you having this problem, or is there something that needs to be adjusted on my shock?

2. Not real sure how to set up the suspension. I was expecting some audible clicks when you turn the dials, but there are none. I also can't feel any clicks when I turn the dials. It's like screwing in a bolt and provides zero feedback. So when they say to turn a knob one click, are you just turning the knob 360° and calling that a click?

3. Did any of you have to adjust your cabling when installing the shock? I have my cable set up as per Pivots recommendations, but they seem bunched up with the new shock. I'll post pics.

I rode the bike around a little bit this evening. The first thing that was dramatically noticeable was how well the bike felt when peddling out of the saddle. This is exactly what I was hoping for. One of the employees at Pivot sent me the settings he uses for his M6. I plan on starting with his base tune and then tweaking it from there. I'll give you my impressions in a week or two, after I ride the hell out of it.

Thanks
    Evan

mtbr member
    May 2014
    What were the settings that he sent you?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    see below

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    It has been almost a year since I started this thread.I finally pulled the trigger and purchased the DB air CS. Now I have some questions.

1. The air valve is so close to my frame that I would scratch the carbon fiber if I were to screw in my shock pump. I got around this by removing the front bolt off of the shock, lowering the shock, and inflating it. I'll post pictures tomorrow, but this seems like something that Cane Creek should have addressed. Are any of you having this problem, or is there something that needs to be adjusted on my shock?

2. Not real sure how to set up the suspension. I was expecting some audible clicks when you turn the dials, but there are none. I also can't feel any clicks when I turn the dials. It's like screwing in a bolt and provides zero feedback. So when they say to turn a knob one click, are you just turning the knob 360° and calling that a click?

3. Did any of you have to adjust your cabling when installing the shock? I have my cable set up as per Pivots recommendations, but they seem bunched up with the new shock. I'll post pics.

I rode the bike around a little bit this evening. The first thing that was dramatically noticeable was how well the bike felt when peddling out of the saddle. This is exactly what I was hoping for. One of the employees at Pivot sent me the settings he uses for his M6. I plan on starting with his base tune and then tweaking it from there. I'll give you my impressions in a week or two, after I ride the hell out of it.

Thanks
    Evan

1) what size frame? I have a Large and there is plenty of room..you can also rotate the air canister to the other side, so the valve stem is opposite of what you have now.

2) No audible clicks, but a 1/4 turn is a click or "adjustment." There's a slight catch if you will, but not a click that you are used to like other shock/forks. Use the CC site for the base tune and go from there and keep the tuning card with you. Set your sag at the recommended 23mm and if you need to adjust...do it in one "click" increments, because it doesn't take much.

3) I swapped my cables to the downtime like Vikb and Zigzag did....it works way better and your cables won't rub on the underside of your frame and rub your now bad-ass shock either...

ENJOY!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Today was my first ride with the DBAir CS. I set it up using the following settings that were posted above.

Main air for 30% sag: 110psi

HSC: +1

LSC: +3

HSR: +1 1/4

LSR: +8

I rode 12 miles of somewhat technical desert terrain (Gold Canyon in AZ). I won't comment on the descending ability of the shock, because I didn't really have a chance to run it on any big drops or long technical descents. I will say, that I never had to think about it, as it just felt good.

As for pedaling/climbing. . . This shock is a revelation. I recently posted about demoing a few bikes that I felt pedaled much more efficiently than the M6. I have never enjoyed pedaling out of the saddle on the M6 and have always felt that the Fox Float X sank too deep in the travel during normal pedaling. I should mention I weigh 225 lbs.

All of that changed today. With the DBAir CS, the M6 felt solid and stable. There is virtually no pedal bob. Climbing out of the saddle was efficient and inviting. If fact, I have never pedaled out of the saddle as much as I did today. With the Float, my quads would be on fire after a few seconds of standing. Today, I was able to keep mashing and mashing until my heart, not my legs, gave out.

The other major positive was the elimination of the majority of pedal strikes. Again, since the Float seems to sit lower in the travel, I would strike my pedals a lot. I learned to get used to it and would pick creative lines to avoid it. With the DBAir, I would estimate 60-70% less pedal strikes. A huge improvement to say the least.

Those are my impressions so far. I have not even begun to tinker with the shock, so I have no idea what its full potential is. All I can say so far is that the DBAir has made the M6 pedal exactly the way Chris Cocalis said it would in the Pivot promo videos, yet never really did. It pedaled very efficiently with very little bob, and provided a stable platform for out of the saddle mashing.

I'll post more on the DH performance, but since my town is covered in a foot of snow, I'll have to wait a couple weeks, or take another trip to Phoenix.

Take Care

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

I wonder if they addressed the mid-stroke with the "updated tune" on the Float X. I also noticed a lot more mid-stroke support after getting the Avalanche tune. However, I only overwhelmed the stock setup climbing in Descend (although mid-stroke was an issue in other situations). I'm only 165 and don't climb standing a whole lot. Did you used to bob up and down in the Trail setting also?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tadmcmichael View Post
    Did you used to bob up and down in the Trail setting also?
    Not nearly as much bob in the climb setting, but the ride was much more harsh. So far I have not even turned on the climbing switch on the DBAir and I have more support then I had with the Float. I can't say the DBAir descends better, because I have not really tested it yet. I had no complaints about how the Float descended. I just did not enjoy climbing with it.

mtbr member

After 6 weeks it finally came! Calling off tomorrow! Lol

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Make sure you pull your socks up nice and tight....the DBAir is going to blow them off!!!!

mtbr member

The air outlet is indeed hella close to the frame. Man i have to re route the cables. Gonna call off work tomorrow for sure

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The air outlet is indeed hella close to the frame. Man i have to re route the cables. Gonna call off work tomorrow for sure

Rotate your canister 180 degrees so it's on the other side and faces downward....DO IT!!!....Cheers

mtbr member

Rotate your canister 180 degrees so it's on the other side and faces downward....DO IT!!!....Cheers
    Rotate? Im mechanically challenge at the moment lol. Just got to loosen some bolts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Rotate? Im mechanically challenge at the moment lol. Just got to loosen some bolts?

1) let air out of DBAIR
    2) Unbolt the shock
    3) rotate the air canister 180 degrees to other side (left side) so that valve points down...should rotate freely if I remember right...
    4) re install and add PSI

mtbr member

1) let air out of DBAIR
    2) Unbolt the shock
    3) rotate the air canister 180 degrees to other side (left side) so that valve points down
    4) re install and add PSI
    Got it. Got to call my buddy. Lbs should have installed it properly. Just in case, can u post up a link so i can show the lbs if we cant work on it tonigt?

mtbr member

My lbs messed up bigtime, upon further inspection its not the xv version but i read you can order it separately? Is there really a difference? They didnt put an o-ring as well. Looks like im gonna do some wrenching tomorrow when i wake up instead of riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Stick with whatever version that CC sent your LBS since it was a special order, CC will send you the right one...

You don't need the XV....all those are easy fixes... unbolt.... slide o ring on..... rotate ....and reinstall
    Last edited by pedal-man; 01-09-2015 at 04:40 PM.

mtbr member

Got it fixed and trying to tune it. Man the lsc and lsr are very sensitive and hard to count meanwhile the hsr and hsc the clicks are not noticeable, i just eyeball the turns. Is this normal? I

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yes that is normal...each quarter turn or .25 is an adjustment on those. there is a slight notch but it is hard to notice/feel.

Go with the base tune and get your sag/psi set first and then pack that tuning card along with you for the next 3-5 rides and dial it in....it doesn't take long and that tuning card is a BIG help.

mtbr member

Yes that is normal...each quarter turn or .25 is an adjustment on those. there is a slight notch but it is hard to notice/feel.

Go with the base tune and get your sag/psi set first and then pack that tuning card along with you for the next 3-5 rides and dial it in....it doesn't take long and that tuning card is a BIG help.
    Thanks! Cant wait till tomorrow. Woke up too late and couldnt call off lol

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    You guys are going to make me buy one of these with all of your great reviews. Is there a special one to get or any good deals to be found? I was thinking of an Avy tune to my Fox, but this seems to be quite a bit better upgrade. Wish they would have had an option to include this originally.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman25 View Post
    You guys are going to make me buy one of these with all of your great reviews. Is there a special one to get or any good deals to be found? I was thinking of an Avy tune to my Fox, but this seems to be quite a bit better upgrade. Wish they would have had an option to include this originally.
    Your LBS is going to have to SPECIAL ORDER it for you, specifically for a M6...no way around that one, but it is well worth it.

AFA optioning the M6 with choice of shocks/forks would be nice, but PIVOT is FOX ONLY optioned right now....
    Last edited by pedal-man; 01-09-2015 at 07:14 AM.

mtbr member

Jenson has it on for a discount so my lbs just priced match it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

I personally think the custom Avy is a better option. I have not ridden the CCDBA, but people who have ridden both say to go with a custom tuned shock (not in Mach 6, but generally in the forums). I am absolutely loving mine and it does so many things better than the stock setup. I get the same pedal platform without the harshness when I hit something. Also much better midstroke support and composure on repeated hits.

If you do get a CCDBA, it is a special order because of the mounts so be careful doing mail order. Speedraceratl quoted elsewhere in this thread can get you a good price.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    It looks to me like Jenson has a specific order for a CCDBA Mach 6. Would love to hear from anyone else that has had the Avy Tune.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast