Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Asked Avalanche about their tune for the Float X for Mach 6 and this is what I got back:

"The advantage of the CTD lever is you can make changes to the compression on the fly, 3 fine tuning positions. The Conversion to a independent high/low adjuster will allow much finer tuning options but requires you stop and make the adjustments so not so well suited for the all mountain/Enduro rider, better suited for the dh only rider.

Our modifications to the CTD allow you to run the shock in Trail 2 without that harsh feeling on square edged bumps and rocks. Descend is not quite as soft and climb is not quite as firm, both are usable as actual shock settings.

I would not recommend the Cane Creek for this frame due to the rising rate linkage, the high speed circuits are a bit too restrictive and the shock will still feel harsh on square edged hits even with the high speed all the way out.

Thank you,
    Craig Seekins

Avalanche Suspension
    12 Davidson Road
    Colchester, CT 06415

Phone: 860-537-4306

Web Site: Avalanche Downhill Racing
    "

I know many have gotten good results with the DB Air and I like the idea of being able to tune myself exactly how I want. However, leaning toward the Avalanche tune. I like the ability to adjust on the fly and it's very easy to do with the CTD lever (although the CS can do some of that also.) If I can get the similar performance as the DB Air and not add an extra half a pound of shock, so much the better. Reviews on the forum for the Avalanche tunes have been very positive, although I don't know if I have seen anything specifically for the Mach 6.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Of course I can't fault Craig for "steering" you toward his tune, after all he is in business for this reason. But, I don't think he has it quite correct here:

"The Conversion to a independent high/low adjuster will allow much finer tuning options but requires you stop and make the adjustments so not so well suited for the all mountain/Enduro rider, better suited for the dh only rider."

As per my previous post….I haven't touched this shock for the last 2 weeks and I do most of everything….I have set it...and forgot about it!!!! Because I don't need to touch it all the time and play with it……The CC climbs, XC's and descends awesomely without needing to flip a switch..I don't even touch the CS on it..it's in open mode.

My main complaint with the X was just that….flipping levers and crap…I don't want to have to flip a switch for ups and then flip for downs and flip flip flip-flop-!!!!

Versatility is key….The CCDBAir turns this bike into what it was supposed to be….
    A fricken BEAST….won't look back on my purchase of the CC…carry on.
    Last edited by pedal-man; 11-12-2014 at 05:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Anyone build up a Mach 6 with a Cane Creek Double Barrel and a Rock Shox Pike?

Will be sending off today for a tune from Avalanche. Bottom line is that there is a bunch of happy customers of Avalanche here in the forums. Will let everyone know how the shock turns out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tadmcmichael View Post

I would not recommend the Cane Creek for this frame due to the rising rate linkage, the high speed circuits are a bit too restrictive and the shock will still feel harsh on square edged hits even with the high speed all the way out.

Thank you,
    Craig Seekins

Avalanche Suspension
    12 Davidson Road
    Colchester, CT 06415

Phone: 860-537-4306

Web Site: Avalanche Downhill Racing
    "
    There you have it, everyone who likes their CCDB on the Mach 6 is wrong! LOL
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I love my CCDB cs whith XV volume !!!! Amazing !!!

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag84 View Post
    I love my CCDB cs whith XV volume !!!! Amazing !!!
    Stupid question, whats xv volume? Lol. I just went ahead and pulled the trigger on a ccdbcs and fox 36.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Daxdagr8t View Post
    Stupid question, whats xv volume? Lol. I just went ahead and pulled the trigger on a ccdbcs and fox 36.

XV = eXtra Large Volume canister…you will be a happy camper

mtbr member

Yea cant wait got to wait a week at least. I never get why bike companies still carry fox shocks they suck for the most part.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalDonk View Post
    If anybody is looking to pick up a CCDB Air that's compatible with the Mach 6 you'll need to have you shop order Cane Creek Part #BAD0919. For hardware you need to specify 8x22. Sounds like it's pretty much a semi-custom effort from Cane Creek. Definitely nice that they are offering something that works.
    Got to double check tomorrow with my lbs if they got the correct shock with 8x22. They ordered from their distributor and i dont if its the same part direct from cc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Got to double check tomorrow with my lbs if they got the correct shock with 8x22. They ordered from their distributor and i dont if its the same part direct from cc.

It needs to be ordered directly from CC…not through BTI, QBP or whomever. They custom make this shock for the M6.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by pedal-man View Post
    It needs to be ordered directly from CC…not through BTI, QBP or whomever. They custom make this shock for the M6.
    Well i went there yesterday and they said they'll sort it out hopefully the did. It wont mount correctly if its not the right shock?

OriginalDonk
    Ask to see the Cane Creek box it came in. If it doesn't say part #BAD0919 then it's not the right shock and it will not mount correctly. Any on the fly solutions may void the warranty from Pivot and/or Cane Creek.

mtbr member

Thanks looks like the shock aint available anyways. Ill try to stop tomorrow and double check. They prolly be tired of my face right now

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Got the Float X back from Avalanche. Didn't want to derail this thread, so started a new one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Does anyone have a base tune they love for the DB air cs and the Mach 6?

Also, has anyone tried putting the Pivot sag indicator on this shock?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Bump for the info

Keep on Rockin...
    Watching.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Bump for the info
    Originally Posted by zigzag84 View Post
    Answer by Pivot:

"OK, here's how I have mine setup for my weight (with pack, approx 190 lbs)

Main air for 30% sag: 110psi

HSC: +1

LSC: +3

HSR: +1 1/4

LSR: +8

Hope this helps…enjoy the trails!

Best regards,
    Brien Gonzales"
    Thanx

In my case I use

HSC: +0.25
    LSC: +4

HSR: +2
    LSR: 8 clicks from max.

Hope this helps someone else.

This setting gives the CCDB CS the closest feel to a coil I could achieve.

Keep on Rockin...
    Long term durability reviews on the DB?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Had mine since September, so far with about 100 + hrs on it all good and use it pretty hard, doing jump lines and drops on most lines, very happy with it and a perfect complement to the Mach 6.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    still going strong with no issues
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    It was previously mentioned in the thread about Pivot acknowledging that the Float X needed some work and was going to be shipping frames with an updated tune on it. Does anyone know when this was supposed to happen? I ask being I should have my frame shipping out tomorrow and would like to at least try the update tune before shelling out more cash for a CC.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I believe all bikes shipping out are fitted with the "new tune". I'm sure someone can chime in on the numbers of the original tune code listed under the zippy that holds the sag meter on the float X. And then you can compare that to the tune code on your new frame..if it is the same ...send that MOFO back and ask for the the "new tune".

mtbr member

Send where? Pivot or fox? Im waiting for my ccdb to come and i might hold on to my float x if it doesnt fit my buddies specialized bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    If someone could post the shock tune from their older float X that came with their bike it would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I would say contact Pivot first and see if they can arrange for FOX to take care of it one way or another...it's no secret that the original tune was not good at all..IMHO

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It has been almost a year since I started this thread.I finally pulled the trigger and purchased the DB air CS. Now I have some questions.

1. The air valve is so close to my frame that I would scratch the carbon fiber if I were to screw in my shock pump. I got around this by removing the front bolt off of the shock, lowering the shock, and inflating it. I'll post pictures tomorrow, but this seems like something that Cane Creek should have addressed. Are any of you having this problem, or is there something that needs to be adjusted on my shock?

2. Not real sure how to set up the suspension. I was expecting some audible clicks when you turn the dials, but there are none. I also can't feel any clicks when I turn the dials. It's like screwing in a bolt and provides zero feedback. So when they say to turn a knob one click, are you just turning the knob 360° and calling that a click?

3. Did any of you have to adjust your cabling when installing the shock? I have my cable set up as per Pivots recommendations, but they seem bunched up with the new shock. I'll post pics.

I rode the bike around a little bit this evening. The first thing that was dramatically noticeable was how well the bike felt when peddling out of the saddle. This is exactly what I was hoping for. One of the employees at Pivot sent me the settings he uses for his M6. I plan on starting with his base tune and then tweaking it from there. I'll give you my impressions in a week or two, after I ride the hell out of it.

Thanks
    Evan

mtbr member
    May 2014
    What were the settings that he sent you?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    see below

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    It has been almost a year since I started this thread.I finally pulled the trigger and purchased the DB air CS. Now I have some questions.

1. The air valve is so close to my frame that I would scratch the carbon fiber if I were to screw in my shock pump. I got around this by removing the front bolt off of the shock, lowering the shock, and inflating it. I'll post pictures tomorrow, but this seems like something that Cane Creek should have addressed. Are any of you having this problem, or is there something that needs to be adjusted on my shock?

2. Not real sure how to set up the suspension. I was expecting some audible clicks when you turn the dials, but there are none. I also can't feel any clicks when I turn the dials. It's like screwing in a bolt and provides zero feedback. So when they say to turn a knob one click, are you just turning the knob 360° and calling that a click?

3. Did any of you have to adjust your cabling when installing the shock? I have my cable set up as per Pivots recommendations, but they seem bunched up with the new shock. I'll post pics.

I rode the bike around a little bit this evening. The first thing that was dramatically noticeable was how well the bike felt when peddling out of the saddle. This is exactly what I was hoping for. One of the employees at Pivot sent me the settings he uses for his M6. I plan on starting with his base tune and then tweaking it from there. I'll give you my impressions in a week or two, after I ride the hell out of it.

Thanks
    Evan

1) what size frame? I have a Large and there is plenty of room..you can also rotate the air canister to the other side, so the valve stem is opposite of what you have now.

2) No audible clicks, but a 1/4 turn is a click or "adjustment." There's a slight catch if you will, but not a click that you are used to like other shock/forks. Use the CC site for the base tune and go from there and keep the tuning card with you. Set your sag at the recommended 23mm and if you need to adjust...do it in one "click" increments, because it doesn't take much.

3) I swapped my cables to the downtime like Vikb and Zigzag did....it works way better and your cables won't rub on the underside of your frame and rub your now bad-ass shock either...

ENJOY!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Today was my first ride with the DBAir CS. I set it up using the following settings that were posted above.

Main air for 30% sag: 110psi

HSC: +1

LSC: +3

HSR: +1 1/4

LSR: +8

I rode 12 miles of somewhat technical desert terrain (Gold Canyon in AZ). I won't comment on the descending ability of the shock, because I didn't really have a chance to run it on any big drops or long technical descents. I will say, that I never had to think about it, as it just felt good.

As for pedaling/climbing. . . This shock is a revelation. I recently posted about demoing a few bikes that I felt pedaled much more efficiently than the M6. I have never enjoyed pedaling out of the saddle on the M6 and have always felt that the Fox Float X sank too deep in the travel during normal pedaling. I should mention I weigh 225 lbs.

All of that changed today. With the DBAir CS, the M6 felt solid and stable. There is virtually no pedal bob. Climbing out of the saddle was efficient and inviting. If fact, I have never pedaled out of the saddle as much as I did today. With the Float, my quads would be on fire after a few seconds of standing. Today, I was able to keep mashing and mashing until my heart, not my legs, gave out.

The other major positive was the elimination of the majority of pedal strikes. Again, since the Float seems to sit lower in the travel, I would strike my pedals a lot. I learned to get used to it and would pick creative lines to avoid it. With the DBAir, I would estimate 60-70% less pedal strikes. A huge improvement to say the least.

Those are my impressions so far. I have not even begun to tinker with the shock, so I have no idea what its full potential is. All I can say so far is that the DBAir has made the M6 pedal exactly the way Chris Cocalis said it would in the Pivot promo videos, yet never really did. It pedaled very efficiently with very little bob, and provided a stable platform for out of the saddle mashing.

I'll post more on the DH performance, but since my town is covered in a foot of snow, I'll have to wait a couple weeks, or take another trip to Phoenix.

Take Care

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

I wonder if they addressed the mid-stroke with the "updated tune" on the Float X. I also noticed a lot more mid-stroke support after getting the Avalanche tune. However, I only overwhelmed the stock setup climbing in Descend (although mid-stroke was an issue in other situations). I'm only 165 and don't climb standing a whole lot. Did you used to bob up and down in the Trail setting also?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Did you used to bob up and down in the Trail setting also?
    Not nearly as much bob in the climb setting, but the ride was much more harsh. So far I have not even turned on the climbing switch on the DBAir and I have more support then I had with the Float. I can't say the DBAir descends better, because I have not really tested it yet. I had no complaints about how the Float descended. I just did not enjoy climbing with it.

mtbr member

After 6 weeks it finally came! Calling off tomorrow! Lol

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Make sure you pull your socks up nice and tight....the DBAir is going to blow them off!!!!

mtbr member

The air outlet is indeed hella close to the frame. Man i have to re route the cables. Gonna call off work tomorrow for sure

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The air outlet is indeed hella close to the frame. Man i have to re route the cables. Gonna call off work tomorrow for sure

Rotate your canister 180 degrees so it's on the other side and faces downward....DO IT!!!....Cheers

mtbr member

Rotate your canister 180 degrees so it's on the other side and faces downward....DO IT!!!....Cheers
    Rotate? Im mechanically challenge at the moment lol. Just got to loosen some bolts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Rotate? Im mechanically challenge at the moment lol. Just got to loosen some bolts?

1) let air out of DBAIR
    2) Unbolt the shock
    3) rotate the air canister 180 degrees to other side (left side) so that valve points down...should rotate freely if I remember right...
    4) re install and add PSI

mtbr member

1) let air out of DBAIR
    2) Unbolt the shock
    3) rotate the air canister 180 degrees to other side (left side) so that valve points down
    4) re install and add PSI
    Got it. Got to call my buddy. Lbs should have installed it properly. Just in case, can u post up a link so i can show the lbs if we cant work on it tonigt?

mtbr member

My lbs messed up bigtime, upon further inspection its not the xv version but i read you can order it separately? Is there really a difference? They didnt put an o-ring as well. Looks like im gonna do some wrenching tomorrow when i wake up instead of riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Stick with whatever version that CC sent your LBS since it was a special order, CC will send you the right one...

You don't need the XV....all those are easy fixes... unbolt.... slide o ring on..... rotate ....and reinstall
    Last edited by pedal-man; 01-09-2015 at 05:40 PM.

mtbr member

Got it fixed and trying to tune it. Man the lsc and lsr are very sensitive and hard to count meanwhile the hsr and hsc the clicks are not noticeable, i just eyeball the turns. Is this normal? I

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yes that is normal...each quarter turn or .25 is an adjustment on those. there is a slight notch but it is hard to notice/feel.

Go with the base tune and get your sag/psi set first and then pack that tuning card along with you for the next 3-5 rides and dial it in....it doesn't take long and that tuning card is a BIG help.

mtbr member

Yes that is normal...each quarter turn or .25 is an adjustment on those. there is a slight notch but it is hard to notice/feel.

Go with the base tune and get your sag/psi set first and then pack that tuning card along with you for the next 3-5 rides and dial it in....it doesn't take long and that tuning card is a BIG help.
    Thanks! Cant wait till tomorrow. Woke up too late and couldnt call off lol

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    You guys are going to make me buy one of these with all of your great reviews. Is there a special one to get or any good deals to be found? I was thinking of an Avy tune to my Fox, but this seems to be quite a bit better upgrade. Wish they would have had an option to include this originally.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman25 View Post
    You guys are going to make me buy one of these with all of your great reviews. Is there a special one to get or any good deals to be found? I was thinking of an Avy tune to my Fox, but this seems to be quite a bit better upgrade. Wish they would have had an option to include this originally.
    Your LBS is going to have to SPECIAL ORDER it for you, specifically for a M6...no way around that one, but it is well worth it.

AFA optioning the M6 with choice of shocks/forks would be nice, but PIVOT is FOX ONLY optioned right now....
    Last edited by pedal-man; 01-09-2015 at 08:14 AM.

mtbr member

Jenson has it on for a discount so my lbs just priced match it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

I personally think the custom Avy is a better option. I have not ridden the CCDBA, but people who have ridden both say to go with a custom tuned shock (not in Mach 6, but generally in the forums). I am absolutely loving mine and it does so many things better than the stock setup. I get the same pedal platform without the harshness when I hit something. Also much better midstroke support and composure on repeated hits.

If you do get a CCDBA, it is a special order because of the mounts so be careful doing mail order. Speedraceratl quoted elsewhere in this thread can get you a good price.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    It looks to me like Jenson has a specific order for a CCDBA Mach 6. Would love to hear from anyone else that has had the Avy Tune.

mtbr member

Ok stupid question how to activate the cs switch? Is it to the right or left? Did some climbing today and could not feel any difference lol i know noob.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Left... you will barely feel a difference when riding slow or just simply pushing down on the bike (depending on how you have your LSR & LSC setup) It is when you are riding at speed or climbing when you feel it.
    Want a true test? Pick a climb, 60 sec or more, set the o-ring as if you were setting the sag and do it with the climb switch off. Measure the travel of the o-ring. Not sure what it would be as it depends on how your shock is set up, but on mine my sag is usually around 14mm so you have to take that into account.
    Repeat with the climb switch on now you will see the difference. Remember, the climb switch is NOT a lock-out, it adjust the LSR & LSC to more firm settings.
    https://www.canecreek.com/products/s...tch-technology

Hope this helps.
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I personally think the custom Avy is a better option. I have not ridden the CCDBA, but people who have ridden both say to go with a custom tuned shock (not in Mach 6, but generally in the forums). I am absolutely loving mine and it does so many things better than the stock setup. I get the same pedal platform without the harshness when I hit something. Also much better midstroke support and composure on repeated hits.

If you do get a CCDBA, it is a special order because of the mounts so be careful doing mail order. Speedraceratl quoted elsewhere in this thread can get you a good price.
    dawgman, if you want one it is special order. I posted earlier in this thread that I would offer a special price for users of this thread. As tad says be careful with weborder as those are different shocks.
    I have not used the Avy but have a lot of ride time on the CCDBACS and I think it was pedalman that said it earlier, you can almost set it and forget it. I know that I have not adjusted mine since initial setup, and that includes 2 trips to whistler and North Shore, BC whereas I had to adjust my Pike to match the terrain. It does have the ability to overcome almost any situation.

Pivoteer
    For those of you on the CCDBA, are you experiencing any issues with air seal failure? Just curious on the CCDBA reliability.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    That was mostly with the CC Inline shock and not really the DBAIR CS....due to the high demand... QC slipped a bit on those.

Cheers on your new gig at PIVOT btw..

My CC DBAIR CS has been awesome for the last 6 months...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by speedraceratl View Post
    dawgman, if you want one it is special order. I posted earlier in this thread that I would offer a special price for users of this thread. As tad says be careful with weborder as those are different shocks.
    I have not used the Avy but have a lot of ride time on the CCDBACS and I think it was pedalman that said it earlier, you can almost set it and forget it. I know that I have not adjusted mine since initial setup, and that includes 2 trips to whistler and North Shore, BC whereas I had to adjust my Pike to match the terrain. It does have the ability to overcome almost any situation.
    Thanks for the info. I am definitely a set it and forget it rider. Heck, I hit Mt. Seymour and a handful of NS trails this fall and never touched my Pike, so I am way behind you here already. Thought I was going OTB on some blind drops a few times and that Pike just hung in there, took it, and saved me. Pucker trails for sure.

mtbr member
    What size hardware do I need to order from Jenson for the mounting eyelets?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    if it is a true special order it comes with the mounting hardware

mtbr member
    May 2006
    For all of those wanting to know what the base tune is for the CCDBA I cam across this today
    https://www.canecreek.com/products/s...commended-tune

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    CC is replacing my Inline,they admitted that they had rushed early production,mine from day one was leaking a black grease/oil at first thought it was just pushing out excess being new,but shock worked well at first,then it developed a dead spot,squeaks under load and started loosing air.a shame they had to rush to get them out even though they are replacing with a new one,I will now have a lack of confidence in there product.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    CC is replacing my Inline,they admitted that they had rushed early production,mine from day one was leaking a black grease/oil at first thought it was just pushing out excess being new,but shock worked well at first,then it developed a dead spot,squeaks under load and started loosing air.a shame they had to rush to get them out even though they are replacing with a new one,I will now have a lack of confidence in there product.
    I wouldn't worry about it...QC lacks sometimes, but the fact that they admit it and are taking care of you speaks volumes.

Ambi-Turner
    May 2010
    I rode my Mach 6 for one year, about 2-4 times a week. I put in a CCDB air and then did five rides on the bike. My settings were close to what's been posted in this thread, although I slowed down the HSR.

The shock really worked well and wouldn't blow through the travel like the Float X. Very stable, predictable and tracked well on the descents. On the climbs, there is no comparison. The traction is about 100 times better and the efficiency is noticeably improved as well.

With this shock, you can have awesome descending and awesome climbing. You don't have to compromise like you do with the Float X.

I got a great deal on a Nomad, so the shock is up for sale after only five rides. Send me PM or checkout Pinkbike to see the listing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Throttlemire View Post
    I rode my Mach 6 for one year, about 2-4 times a week. I put in a CCDB air and then did five rides on the bike. My settings were close to what's been posted in this thread, although I slowed down the HSR.

The shock really worked well and wouldn't blow through the travel like the Float X. Very stable, predictable and tracked well on the descents. On the climbs, there is no comparison. The traction is about 100 times better and the efficiency is noticeably improved as well.
    This explains why people seem to nut ride Avy Fox upgrades so hard; Fox performs like crap stock.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    This explains why people seem to nut ride Avy Fox upgrades so hard; Fox performs like crap stock.
    Pretty much with the exception of the

Free your heel...
    I went for it, Pike front and CCDB rear and i couldn't be happier with the bike now. The F36 is/was way to stiff for my riding style, when I landed even small drops my hands would blow off the bars and I knew the Fox 36 wasn't for me. I think an aggressive rider who is "crushing" every turn will enjoy the 36 but for JRA situations and riding for fun the Fox 36 just bites back with overly aggressive damping. I feel the same way about the Fox 40 so I run a Dorado on my DH rig... if you prefer a softer fork go Pike and if your like the F40 then you will love the 36.
    Grain of salt.

The CCDB came to me with the air can valve hitting the frame or the piggy-back and would not fit the bike. A call to CC confirmed that I could turn the air can by removing the rear O-ring, loosening the lock ring, clamping the rear eyelet into the vise and twisting the air can. So far after regreasing the O-ring, and tightening things back down all is well. I know a few of you have similar issues with close fitting air valves, it's an easy fix but for the price certainly frustrating

The Float-x in it's factory tune for me is terrible and holds the whole bike back from riding properly. I went for the XV with the climb switch, what a shock! I have always been happy with my Fox shocks front and rear on previous bikes but the M6 needs a great shock like the CC. Pedaling is better, rock strikes on cranks are a thing of the past, way better traction on climbs and downhills feel better too. I started with the base tune with +4 LSC, +2 LSR, +1HSR, and 190 pounds of air. I'm 215 geared up, 5.10 on a large frame.

I have had the bike since September and put some good long hard rides on it. I am finally really enjoying the bike for the first time since I made the shock changes. The bike now feels alive and responsive.

With the stock shocks the bike is all business…fine for the racer type but not so great if your the type that prefers to squeeze in happy hour before a few laps with the crew before dawn.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It's been a month since I installed my DBAir. I spent an hour on a very short and technical piece of trail and got it dialed in. I used the little book and followed it to the letter. The bike has never felt better. It's stiff as hell on the climbs yet still crazy plush on the dh. The climb switch is insane. It really calms the bike down. As a result I have new PRs on many trails in my area (Northern AZ). The best part is the pedal strikes are gone. The elimination of pedal strikes makes the shock worth the purchase.

I can't say enough about how much a silly shock has improved an already fabulous bike. Pivot should really offer the DBAir as an option, as well as the Pike. I know Chris C is best friends with the dude from Fox, but that relationship may be holding you back more then helping. I'm not saying ditch Fox, but at least add these other components as an option like Santa Cruz, Ibis and others have done. Swapping these parts out after you purchase a bike is very expensive for the consumer. Even after selling the Float X and the Fox Fork I am still $1000 in the hole.

mtbr member

It's been a month since I installed my DBAir. I spent an hour on a very short and technical piece of trail and got it dialed in. I used the little book and followed it to the letter. The bike has never felt better. It's stiff as hell on the climbs yet still crazy plush on the dh. The climb switch is insane. It really calms the bike down. As a result I have new PRs on many trails in my area (Northern AZ). The best part is the pedal strikes are gone. The elimination of pedal strikes makes the shock worth the purchase.

I can't say enough about how much a silly shock has improved an already fabulous bike. Pivot should really offer the DBAir as an option, as well as the Pike. I know Chris C is best friends with the dude from Fox, but that relationship may be holding you back more then helping. I'm not saying ditch Fox, but at least add these other components as an option like Santa Cruz, Ibis and others have done. Swapping these parts out after you purchase a bike is very expensive for the consumer. Even after selling the Float X and the Fox Fork I am still $1000 in the hole.

Certainly agree with you on the shock and fork option. However, the fox 36 is no slouch and offers more tunability than the pike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm not bagging Fox. They make good products. I've heard great things about the Fox 36. However, having the option to choose is what consumers buying high end bikes want. The average guy who is fairly new to the sport won't be able to tell the difference. But when you start shelling out $5K plus for a bike, you really want the components that suit your taste. Many companies offer options so I know it can be done. To tell you the truth, if I had to do it again, I would have gone with another brand and saved the money. 2015 high-end bikes are so close in performance, it really comes down to price and brand loyalty. I'll stay loyal until the price is too high.

Love you Pivot. Not hating, just trying to help.

mtbr member

I'm not bagging Fox. They make good products. I've heard great things about the Fox 36. However, having the option to choose is what consumers buying high end bikes want. The average guy who is fairly new to the sport won't be able to tell the difference. But when you start shelling out $5K plus for a bike, you really want the components that suit your taste. Many companies offer options so I know it can be done. To tell you the truth, if I had to do it again, I would have gone with another brand and saved the money. 2015 high-end bikes are so close in performance, it really comes down to price and brand loyalty. I'll stay loyal until the price is too high.

Love you Pivot. Not hating, just trying to help.
    For me it was either the maestro or the dw link. The reign was out of sight when i was in the market and the mach 6 with a fox 34 i fell in love when i saw in the lbs. said to say i still spent another 2g swapping the 34 to the 36, ccdb and converting next sl 1x10.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I was unhappy with the combos offered last year so bought a frame only. Back then, it only came with Float X and there was no data on using a CCDB. I actually ended up saving about $1500 ordering everything to my liking and building a bike. I wanted a Pike fork, not the Fox 34. I wanted Shimano brakes, not SRAM, etc.

Now I have just upgraded to the CCDB over the Fox, but got a great deal on a CCDB (thanks Throttlemire) and sold my Float X online for $300. That was the only extra upgrade I have paid for after the fact.

CCDB, Derbys, XX1 kit, and a Pike make this bike unbelievable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Finally got my first ride with the CCDB last night and am very happy with the performance compared to the Float X. I am no suspension expert, it just seems to do everything better. I noticed it as much on the climbs as the downhill sections. Stiffer, more efficient, and less wallow on the climbs. Seems to go over things easier without losing momentum.

On the downhills, it really felt like my bike was faster last night. Smoother and kept the tires on the ground more. Also seemed to have a bit more pop on small jumps. I still need to get it dialed in more, but in one word, this shock is SMOOTH.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Finally got my first ride with the CCDB last night and am very happy with the performance compared to the Float X. I am no suspension expert, it just seems to do everything better. I noticed it as much on the climbs as the downhill sections. Stiffer, more efficient, and less wallow on the climbs. Seems to go over things easier without losing momentum.

On the downhills, it really felt like my bike was faster last night. Smoother and kept the tires on the ground more. Also seemed to have a bit more pop on small jumps. I still need to get it dialed in more, but in one word, this shock is SMOOTH.
    But some guy that sells other stuff says it can't flow enough oil to work properly. I think you're imagining all this!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Well, I was 50/50 on rebuilding the X or getting the CCDB. In the end, it was less expensive to get a CCDB, so that made it a no brainer. Hard to argue with the testimonials and results people are getting. It would be interesting to compare a rebuild vs the CCDB for sure.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Why people still doubt this setup, I don't know.

mtbr member

Seriously. Should have came standard with the frame on the first place.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Unless you are doing exclusively ride parks the CCDB is much more then an average rider will ever justify,I went Inline and while I do occasionally attend ride parks my riding is more tuned to AM,tech and Enduros and has performed flawlessly even on the most extreme terrain I can throw on it! each to his own but you should chose a shock for its intended use and will be happier for it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    @techfersure Can't say that I totally agree with your statement about exclusively riding parks. All of us are different in our riding styles and preferences.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Just stating that to choose a shock based on intended use,for most riders a piggyback reservoir shock is overkill on a AM bike,coming from 15 years of DH a piggyback reservoir makes perfect sense considering the pounding and heat it sustains under brutal loads.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    Just stating that to choose a shock based on intended use,for most riders a piggyback reservoir shock is overkill on a AM bike,coming from 15 years of DH a piggyback reservoir makes perfect sense considering the pounding and heat it sustains under brutal loads.
    True..but, these bikes (M6 etc) were made "to do it all" and would require a shock with a piggyback for these situations. You don't see M4 and Epics with piggybacks because they are more XC and would be"overkill". I would rather have it and "maybe" not need it, than to need it and not have it.

I don't always ride "PARK", but when I do, I ride my M6 with a Piggyback!!
    Last edited by pedal-man; 02-15-2015 at 08:19 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well said pedal-man

mtbr member

True..but, these bikes (M6 etc) were made "to do it all" and would require a shock with a piggyback for these situations. You don't see M4 and Epics with piggybacks because they are more XC and would be"overkill". I would rather have it and "maybe" not need it, that to need it and not have it.

I don't always ride "PARK", but when I do, I ride my M6 with a Piggyback!!
    Im with you. For the same price id rather have the bigger shock "just in case." Its still a toss up if I'll get a dedicated dh bike since the mach 6 handles the terrain I ride. We'll see in the summer when the bike park opens. If the float x did well last summer, then the ccdb is a sure win.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I rode Whistler all day on my M6. No issues. Although I did not do anything more difficult than A-Line, Dirt Merchant, and Freight Train. Not because of the bike but my own abilities

mtbr member

I rode Whistler all day on my M6. No issues. Although I did not do anything more difficult than A-Line, Dirt Merchant, and Freight Train. Not because of the bike but my own abilities
    My skills are elementary so the bike helps
    A lot lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

mach 6 w/ccdb cs

Anyone build up a Mach 6 with a Cane Creek Double Barrel and a Rock Shox Pike?-dsc_0093.jpgAnyone build up a Mach 6 with a Cane Creek Double Barrel and a Rock Shox Pike?-dsc_0094.jpgAnyone build up a Mach 6 with a Cane Creek Double Barrel and a Rock Shox Pike?-20150227_163420.jpgAnyone build up a Mach 6 with a Cane Creek Double Barrel and a Rock Shox Pike?-20150224_203616-copy-copy.jpgAnyone build up a Mach 6 with a Cane Creek Double Barrel and a Rock Shox Pike?-20150224_203505.jpg

Wife txt me Friday when the frame came in and next thing she knows I was home. The shock on her face was great.... are you supposed to be at work? Ya until you txt to me oh and some of the guys are coming over for dinner btw, thanks love ya. Built up the mach 6 with the ccdb cs that night with the help of some cut throat beer & buddies.
    The buddies more less drank the beer while i worked. Wife actually helped them. I wake up the next morning... it snowed overnight, wtf! Babe im going to Moab next wknd and with a simple reply from her thats fine.
    I will give a ride report when i get back. I live in Utah and @speedraceratl with mtb garage made it real easy with a great deal on the frame/shock so thanks again man. Now to the details in case others are interested out there:

m6 frame w/ccdb cs 6.14 lbs weighed before bb and headset (included those pics so you can see how much it would of added to the scale)
    ck inset 2
    ck press fit 24
    ck LD hubs 32 hole
    dt swiss comp spokes
    easton haven 55 stem
    flow rims
    sdg ti seat shibuya
    answer pro taper carbon 780mm
    rockshox reverb stealth
    xx1 drivetrain
    xtr brakes
    xtr trail pedals
    rockshox pike rct3 160mm
    Peaty Grips

Ive got pics of all the weights of each part if the community is really interested. I expect the build to be between 26-27lbs roughly. I will give an update after i get it weighed at the shop. For those interested in cost my entire build came in at $5475 including some of the parts ive owned for years like my reverb and hubs. If i dont include those the build cost me $4950. I did sell my old remedy for $1700. So the way I laid it out to the wife was the new build only cost me $3250

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Nice bike, but I'm more impressed with your wife. She sounds awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyla2 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0093.jpg 
Views:	735 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	968697Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0094.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	968693Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150227_163420.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	968694Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150224_203616 - Copy - Copy.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	968695Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150224_203505.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	968696

Wife txt me Friday when the frame came in and next thing she knows I was home. The shock on her face was great.... are you supposed to be at work? Ya until you txt to me oh and some of the guys are coming over for dinner btw, thanks love ya. Built up the mach 6 with the ccdb cs that night with the help of some cut throat beer & buddies.
    The buddies more less drank the beer while i worked. Wife actually helped them. I wake up the next morning... it snowed overnight, wtf! Babe im going to Moab next wknd and with a simple reply from her thats fine.
    I will give a ride report when i get back. I live in Utah and @speedraceratl with mtb garage made it real easy with a great deal on the frame/shock so thanks again man. Now to the details in case others are interested out there:

m6 frame w/ccdb cs 6.14 lbs weighed before bb and headset (included those pics so you can see how much it would of added to the scale)
    ck inset 2
    ck press fit 24
    ck LD hubs 32 hole
    dt swiss comp spokes
    easton haven 55 stem
    flow rims
    sdg ti seat shibuya
    answer pro taper carbon 780mm
    rockshox reverb stealth
    xx1 drivetrain
    xtr brakes
    xtr trail pedals
    rockshox pike rct3 160mm
    Peaty Grips

Ive got pics of all the weights of each part if the community is really interested. I expect the build to be between 26-27lbs roughly. I will give an update after i get it weighed at the shop. For those interested in cost my entire build came in at $5475 including some of the parts ive owned for years like my reverb and hubs. If i dont include those the build cost me $4950. I did sell my old remedy for $1700. So the way I laid it out to the wife was the new build only cost me $3250

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Very nice build. Your gonna love that CCDBAir....it really makes the bike "badass."
    I'm with you..after the sale of my Stumpy, SS and an old road bike...my out of pocket to date is about $2500....final cost all in with CCDBAir and pike etc. is $5800. Still wanting to do 35mm Carbon hoops is my final upgrade....
    Last edited by pedal-man; 03-02-2015 at 05:06 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You got that thing built up fast!!! Enjoy

mtbr member

Damn 26-27 lbs? What wheelset do you have? Mine comes in at 28lbs and i thought it was light

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    My wife is pretty understanding for the most part our rule is what ever i spend on a trip she can spend on what ever... fair enough to me. 28 is light for what the bike is still like you mentioned and that is my guess so dont hold me to true to that i will post a pic when I take it to the lbs. Wheel set is kings, dt swiss comps and flows. My next upgrade would probably be some LB 35mm hookless rims to bring down some weight but not for a while

dirt surfer
    May 2015
    Wondering if anybody riding the CCDB air cs has experimented with the volume spacers? Curious if adding the volume spacers will help the shock ride higher on it's travel? Have 107 psi in the shock right now and still have 8-9mm of travel left according to the o-ring. Rider weight at 195-200lbs and at 107 psi, feels like I sit pretty low in the travel on long consistent climbs. Liked climbing better at 113psi, but had even more travel left unused. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    IDK..haven't tried spacers as mine is riding fine @95psi and I weigh about 190# geared up. Still sits high in it's travel. Depends if you are a "light rider" or "ride heavy" in the saddle? Give it a shot and report back...if anything it will help out. The spacers did help when I had the X on the bike.

dirt surfer
    May 2015
    Thanks pedal-man! On flats and undulating terrain, the ccdb air cs performs phenomenally when seated. Have a few more tweaks left so I don't have to use the climb mode for most terrain. Living in Colorado, most of my climbing is 2-7 miles at a time and that's when I feel like the shock sits a little lower in the sag and have the lever switched over. Agree with you that I might as well experiment and see what happens. Will update when I can.
    Cheers!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Is there any performance advantage the inline has over the Air CS other then weight? I originally wanted an inline (I mainly do xc) but if the Air CS is just as good for that but can take big hits better, then why would I not go the Air CS?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by B Rabbit View Post
    Is there any performance advantage the inline has over the Air CS other then weight? I originally wanted an inline (I mainly do xc) but if the Air CS is just as good for that but can take big hits better, then why would I not go the Air CS?
    The only "advantage" of the inline is that it weighs less. Other than that, If I were you, just go for the full DBair....CS or no CS...I really haven't used my climb switch at all...if that tells you anything, and I climb some steep crap...It's not a lockout per say so you can switch it 3/4 way, 1/2 way or all the way on...where ever you feel you need the platform.

dirt surfer
    May 2015
    If weight isn't an issue for you B Rabbit, I would definitely go for the CCDB air! The cs is nice for long, continuous climbs, otherwise, the fine tuning the shock allows makes for an incredible ride! Good luck, you'll be stoked if you go for it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If anyone is interested I have a mint condition CCDB for sale specifically for a MACH 6 over at pink bike.com
    Thanks!
    Bob

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bird_e View Post
    If anyone is interested I have a mint condition CCDB for sale specifically for a MACH 6 over at pink bike.com
    Thanks!
    Bob
    Switching to float x2? Lol

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Switching to float x2? Lol

Anyone tried a float x2? I'm tempted to get one just for the adjustability. Not sure how well it fits with the M6 though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I am gone from home for the next week but will be ordering mine up the day I get back. See how the X2 fits in there and if that thing is the magic bullet it has been claimed to be.

mtbr member
    I emailed pivot about the x2, they said they didnt like how it performed. But still interested in user feedback.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast