Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006

Anybody 5'10.5" riding a large Firebird?

Love it? Hate it?

I know taller guys ride a Medium and I demoed a medium this weekend, but might have a lead on a large.

Anyone?

Tnx,
    Bob

mtbr member
    I'm 6' on a large, sometimes wonder if I might have been better off on a medium. Although the large does fit me well it just doesn't feel "flickable", could just be me though. It does carve very well, is super solid, and all around is a great riding bike.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy29er
    I'm 6' on a large, sometimes wonder if I might have been better off on a medium. Although the large does fit me well it just doesn't feel "flickable", could just be me though. It does carve very well, is super solid, and all around is a great riding bike.
    That's one for get the medium...

Stucco Bucket
    im 6-1.. well used to be i think im shrinking.
    33" inseam. I bought a medium.

VooDoo user.
    5'11". I demoed both. Med felt way too small and the large felt only a smidge too big.
    I went with the large. In my own perfect world I wish the large had a 23.75" TT and a 72.5 degree seat tube angle. But I think I'm the only one with that preference.
    I'm still quite able to muscle the Large around at the resorts and the local Gnar.

EDIT: On a side note. If the Turner RFX ever gets built the geo numbers look to be just what the Dr. ordered.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl
    im 6-1.. well used to be i think im shrinking.
    33" inseam. I bought a medium.
    Make that 2 for medium

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    5'11". I demoed both. Med felt way too small and the large felt only a smidge too big.
    I went with the large. In my own perfect world I wish the large had a 23.75" TT and a 72.5 degree seat tube angle. But I think I'm the only one with that preference.
    I'm still quite able to muscle the Large around at the resorts and the local Gnar.

EDIT: On a side note. If the Turner RFX ever gets built the geo numbers look to be just what the Dr. ordered.
    And one for the large...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    5 10 3/4 here. Large was recommended, rode the medium on a demo day and liked it fine. Demo went on sale, bought it and all good.

jddist
    May 2008
    I am 5.10.5 also and ride a large. I demoed both and felt a bit better on the large. Could be because I was on a large 575 for the past year. After riding the large for a few months I would like to take a med out on my trails to see how it feels now. Not saying the large feels too big but I might like a little more flickability. The only thing that worries me about a med is that it will require more seat post exposed and the bike already feels like I am sitting pretty far back, with respect to the cranks, and more seat post will equate to even further back.

Stucco Bucket
    Just curious, at what size do you stop measuring the half inches?

Pivotal figure
    I'm 6' but I ride a Med. The Lg would be a "better" fit but I prefer compact frames that are easier to maneuver.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

dog
    sit! stay!
    did the medium feel right?

for the record i am in a different body size class, but i went from a med EG to the small FB, in part because i like to have a frame that is on the smaller size for the reason others already gave for going with the smaller size... so if a medium did not feel cramped to you then the large may make you feel stretched out... (a feel that i do not like)...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    Another 5'10.75" and on a large. Lots of all day epics with a few trips to the resort each year. looking to do more trips to the resort as I have the "Illness". Bike is plenty maneuverable and long days in the saddle are comfy in the longer cockpit.

Best thing you can do is to ride them both and decide. In the end it's gonna be your bike and everyone has different preferences.
    Bad rep!!! That's right SON!!

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    The medium felt right and probably is right, but I might have a lead on a large. I will try and ride a large and see how that feels. I rode mediums all day at the Pivot demo day. I would probably be able to adapt to either size.

Based in this unscientific data, the trend is to ride a smaller size.

Bob

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl
    Just curious, at what size do you stop measuring the half inches?
    It is more a function of bike sizing charts that have mediums to 5'10" and larges starting at 5'11"....

mtbr member
    It depends more on your inseam when you are 'tween sizes. Do you have porportionately long or short legs/torso? If you have, for example, shorter legs your body will probably thank you for the longer frame (because you need more reach). If you have long legs, you will probably like the shorter frame for the shorter reach. The leg part is why you can move the seat up and down.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm 5'11" on a large with a 60mm stem, Talas 180 and a 1 deg Angleset. The medium was a little too nervous on downhills for me.

jddist
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Torque Wrench
    I'm 5'11" on a large with a 60mm stem, Talas 180 and a 1 deg Angleset. The medium was a little too nervous on downhills for me.
    You got a Cane Creek Angleset to work on the tapered head tube? Funny because I was looking into using one when building my 7 up a few months ago and even called Cane Creek for correct part numbers and they told me that it would not work with a standard tapered head tube, even though it was originally advertised to work. They said it required a 44Mil top tub and would not work with the standard 1 1/8 as the yeti is.

jddist
    May 2008

My Bad! Wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by istvisinet
    You got a Cane Creek Angleset to work on the tapered head tube? Funny because I was looking into using one when building my 7 up a few months ago and even called Cane Creek for correct part numbers and they told me that it would not work with a standard tapered head tube, even though it was originally advertised to work. They said it required a 44Mil top tub and would not work with the standard 1 1/8 as the yeti is.
    Sorry all. Please disregard. Thought this was from a different (yeti) thread and I got excited.

banned
    i've ridden both and prefer the large , i am 5'10, and am going to ride 180 talas with a large frame, when i think flickable, of course the smaller frame will be easier to move around, but if you plan on being in the saddle for a while go with a larger frame, you can also acheive and improve on the "flickable " factor just by increasing your core strenght, and that doesn't cost anything , just a little working out..ps dont be lazy. enjoy the bike !!!

I'm 5'9" and ride a large. Feels fine. I have a Medium 5.7. The Firebird I have a 50mm stem and the 5.7 I run a 70mm.