Reluctant Tree Hugger

Any one put a 34T on a M6 XX1?

I just replaced my stock 30T XX1 ring and spider up front with a 34T Wolftooth direct mount. Has anyone else done this? Did you have to add links to the chain? My derailleur has about 1-2" of travel while the chain is on the biggest rear cog. Think that's enough or am I risking tearing off my derailleur without adding links?
    Live like there's no tomorrow. But pay your bills just in case there is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It will need extra links i think, i run a 30 and a 36 chainring and separate chains. Ive found chain length is pretty important to get proper shifting. I had messed it up when moving to a new chain on the 30T the other day, it ruined the shifting until i worked out it was too short.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Compress the suspension when fitting a chain, it'll grow around two links from fully extended to fully compressed.

mtbr member
    my friend is swapping 30T & 34T, no need to add chain links. im also swapping 30T & 36T on my 429c without adding links.
    PIVOT

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by engrmariano View Post
    my friend is swapping 30T & 34T, no need to add chain links. im also swapping 30T & 36T on my 429c without adding links.
    That's because your chain was long in the first place, if you're going fot minimum chain length, you have to take the chainstay growth during compression that all DW-link bike have into account.

Most mechanics will leave extra links in the chain so when/if customers use a bigger ring they don't end up tearing their derailleur off, plus it takes a little extra time and effort and isn't something the vast majority of customers will even notice.