mtbr member

Any 5' 6" riders on a small 429?

I've admired the 429 from afar, and wonder if anyone my height is riding one. If so, then I'd love to hear from you about your ride impressions. The small frame has a 23" TT, which would mean that I would pair it with a 50mm stem to maintain the same saddle-to-bar-length. ...Thanks!
    It's not dirt in my apartment --it's Earth.

mtbr member
    I'd like to know this, too, since my wife is 5' 6" and I'd really like to get her onto one of these.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'm 5' 7" with a 30 inch inseam and fit very well on the small 429. Stem is a 90mm with 5 deg rise. I've also owned the original Intense Spider 29r, and the excellent Ells Evolve; the pivot is the only one that I can get the seat to bar relationship to match that of my 26r. With the other two my seat is below the bars and although it isn't an excessive amount it is noticeable.

mtbr member
    Wow, that pretty much sums up the three full-susser 29er lines that I've been oogling (i.e. Intense, Ellsworth & Pivot)! I already have experience with Intense and Ellsworth in their 26er forms, and both suspension designs are fabulous. I thought I'd try a Pivot, just to add variety. Why did you move from the Intense & Ellsworth, and -if asked to start over -which design would you choose?

Thanks for the imput!

Quote Originally Posted by CG68Plt
    I'm 5' 7" with a 30 inch inseam and fit very well on the small 429. Stem is a 90mm with 5 deg rise. I've also owned the original Intense Spider 29r, and the excellent Ells Evolve; the pivot is the only one that I can get the seat to bar relationship to match that of my 26r. With the other two my seat is below the bars and although it isn't an excessive amount it is noticeable.

Bad Zen Master
    My wife's 429 is a small and she's 5'6". All bits are stock from Pivot and it fits her perfectly, except the bars it came with are too wide for her.
    High Country Colorado
    www.fullyloadedtouring.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    awai04: Prior to going to the 29r's my previous ride was the original Intense Tracer which I rode for the better part of 7 years (still have it). Naturally I moved to the Spider as I was happy with the Intense product and previously had experience with the original Outland VPP bikes. My issue with the Spider is the original frames did not provide clearance between the top of the fork knobs and the down tube. Frankly this pissed me off and then the rear was also a little noodly, other than that the bike rides great. The ells is awesome; it is lighter than the pivot and more active. The ells does seem to have a little more harshness on small trail chatter as compared to the pivot, but is really smooth on medium and larger impacts. Other than the bar to seat relationship the only place the ells loses to the pivot is standing pedaling, where it behaves like any other four bar I've been on. The Pivot took me a while to accustom to as it really felt like a boat anchor. In fact at one point I built the Evolve back up and rode it for some time. Recently I've been back on the Pivot and have found the tuning sweet-spot (at least for me).

I'm sticking with the Pivot. It's only real weakness is weight. Other than that it rides equally as well as the Ells on the flats, but has a noticeable edge when standing to climb, and I can get a proper seat to bar fit that I like. Either way you can't go wrong.

mtbr member
    thanks CG68Plt! Very helpful review. I know what you mean about the lack of downtube clearance on the former generation of Intense frames; I had a well-loved small 5.5evp several years ago. When I first spec'd the frame, I couldn't go with a Fox fork because the knobs would hit. All was fixed later on however, with a 4mm stack crown race. It incidentally slacked out the head angle just enough to make riding the rough stuff fun. Now I'm running a size small Epiphany, which also requires a 4-5mm stack crown race to clear the downtube.

From what I gather, the Pivot handles the climbs better than the Ells? I wonder why that is, since one of the benefits I see about the Epi over the VPP 5.5 is how much more active is the ICT suspension on the climbs. I'm given the impression that the rear end stays planted more, at least in comparison to what I remember of the 5.5. That said, I also wonder how much influence shock pressure settings have on my impression.

Quote Originally Posted by CG68Plt
    awai04: Prior to going to the 29r's my previous ride was the original Intense Tracer which I rode for the better part of 7 years (still have it). Naturally I moved to the Spider as I was happy with the Intense product and previously had experience with the original Outland VPP bikes. My issue with the Spider is the original frames did not provide clearance between the top of the fork knobs and the down tube. Frankly this pissed me off and then the rear was also a little noodly, other than that the bike rides great. The ells is awesome; it is lighter than the pivot and more active. The ells does seem to have a little more harshness on small trail chatter as compared to the pivot, but is really smooth on medium and larger impacts. Other than the bar to seat relationship the only place the ells loses to the pivot is standing pedaling, where it behaves like any other four bar I've been on. The Pivot took me a while to accustom to as it really felt like a boat anchor. In fact at one point I built the Evolve back up and rode it for some time. Recently I've been back on the Pivot and have found the tuning sweet-spot (at least for me).

I'm sticking with the Pivot. It's only real weakness is weight. Other than that it rides equally as well as the Ells on the flats, but has a noticeable edge when standing to climb, and I can get a proper seat to bar fit that I like. Either way you can't go wrong.