mtbr member
    Dec 2010

AM bike sizing advice

Ok so I've looked around the forum postings and I couldn't really find the answer I was looking for. I'm 5'6.5" (no matter what my drivers license says ) with a 28.4" inseam (when I stand with 8" between my feet) and pivot was recommending that I get a small Mach 5. My LBS doesn't carry pivot. Now I've always ridden hardtails and used standover height as a minimum for frame sizing. However, the pivots have quite a high standover height and I was a little nervous that when I take a fall or try to hop off I may catch an unwanted surprise. Anyone around my height that rides an AM setup have any info as to whether they measured the lowest point on the top tube to get that standover height? I'm also willing to consider another make or brand if you guys think I'm just to small to ride pivot frames.

dog
    sit! stay!
    the small 5.7 has a standover of 27 and 3/4 per the web site... which is actually pretty low compared to other similar bikes... even a hard tail SC chameleon is higher (kind of an AMish hardtail-type frame)... so you should be good!

i've been eyeing (from a very long distance ) the small 5.7 and thought the standover was a big selling point to me...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

I am Doctor Remulak
    I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam and ride a small Mach 5.7. I just walked out to the garage and measured the standover height of 27.5" on my bike with a 150mm fork.
    MTBR wants you to know that I work here

dog
    sit! stay!
    i was thinking the small with 150mm float and CC angle-set for an extra 0.5 to 1 deg. of slackening forgiveness...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...