mtbr member
    May 2007

Aluminum Mach 429 Frame Cracks

Has anyone in the forum had a problem with frame cracking on their aluminum Mach 429 (or any other model)? I did a quick forum search but didn't turn up anything.

-Ryan

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    No one would post about cracked frames because it would hurt the companies image.

Non-Pivot comment... Well, this one time a white frame had a crack and the owner posted the picture but then took it to a bike shop and they said it wasn't a crack so he removed the picture but now he rides a raw frame of the same type so it probably wasn't a crack. Or something.

Contact your dealer and they should be able to help you. If that is a struggle reach out to Ken or Dan on here.

Bob
    Last edited by bobo_krkk_NIN; 10-26-2013 at 01:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I rode my alum 429 very hard for one season. Sold it to a friend who is riding it to this day. No issues at all for either of us. I am not trying to protect Pivots image. The bike I bought was solid.

mtbr member
    Thought I had a crack because my bike was creaking like crazy. Took some close up/macro pictures and sent them to Pivot. They were great to work with and said they weren't cracks. They were right.

The creaks were coming from my Lunchbox main pivot, which they replaced for me.

They were patient, not patronizing and easy to work with.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

King of Middle Earth
    My 2009 alloy Mach 429 is rock solid. Heck it still looks new, and I bought it used!
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    "No one would post about cracked frames because it would hurt the companies image."

I don't get this (unless you work for Pivot). That being said, I have no interest in hurting the company's image. I was just trying to find out if the problem I am having is an anomaly or if it part of a larger problem.

-Ryan

JFR
    mtbr member
    Apologies in advance for the lengthy reply...

Frames ovalize, they crack and they break. Anomalies happen. XC bikes ridden like DH bikes happen. Regular riding can take it's toll over time too. Mountain bikes do not last forever when used on a regular basis.

This site was created with the idea of providing a community that among other things, provides a resource for genuine product reviews and to learn about products that excel and others that don't or might even be prone to failure.

Open discussion of problems helps current owners to know what to watch out for so they might catch the beginning of a problem before they get stranded miles from a trail head or maybe even injured.

It's counterproductive to this philosophy when problems are kept on the down low due to brand loyalty or peer pressure to tow the company line.

The important thing is to be fair and honest.

I own an XL 2011 alu 429. I have a few bikes and my 429 has relatively low miles. I'm about 200lbs and I use my 429 for long rides with lots of climbing and descending on rocky trails with occasional small jumps. I've had no issues with my bike. I really like it as the ripping enduro machine it was intended to be.

I keep tabs on this forum and I recall two posts about cracked or broken alu 429 chain stay yokes. One of those riders admitted that his bike saw lift assisted DH park riding and broke after "sessioning" a DH run one day.

The only way we know if a problem is an anomaly, user abuse or part of a bigger problem is if people like you post about them and are fair and honest with describing their situation. I'd like to know more about the "problem" you're having.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Garthhog View Post
    "No one would post about cracked frames because it would hurt the companies image."

I don't get this (unless you work for Pivot). That being said, I have no interest in hurting the company's image. I was just trying to find out if the problem I am having is an anomaly or if it part of a larger problem.

-Ryan
    Re read my post in heavy sarcasm mode.... That was how it was written.

My big pet peeve is that people don't post their issues that they have on these forums and if they do they are flamed by other folks that think issues should not show up here.

See my posts on a Mach 5.7 frame issue...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Mine is a 2010 Mach 429. I ride/race XC and low-end endurance in Texas (though there has not been a lot of racing for the last two seasons), so no downhilling. I don't jump it, curb-hop it, etc., other than the "features" we see in Texas. I am, however, a larger fella. The lightest I have been since I got out of the military was 214 lbs, currently hovering just below 225. I generally don't have a problem staying with the faster end of the Cat 2 XC crowd, but fade a bit when the races exceed 4 hours.

The issue I am having is a crack developing in the main frame right side about 2 inches above the bottom bracket. The frame has been shipped to Pivot. I have not Pushed the shock.

Ryan

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Garthhog View Post

-Ryan
    It's part of a larger problem called Aluminum.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    My first gen 429 cracked. I didn't notice the loose main pivot bolt because the frame was so stiff. I received a rear triangle at cost. I sold the frame and bought two carbon frames which I had numerous issues with. Now I am back on a 2nd gen 429a and I love it. I weigh 225 to 245 and I have broken numerous frames. No hucking, but I do like east coast type trails. Another manufacturer to consider is Ventana. A high quality alloy frame will last about 3 to 4 years of heavy XC/trail use by a strong clyde IMO. A lifetime guarantee is of no use if the manufacturer fails to honor it or replaces the same faulty part, especially if the turn around is slow.