mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Alloy v Carbon 429

Hi,
    can anyone tell me if they have had issues with the carbon frames. I have a a 2010 alloy 429 and am thinking of upgrading to carbon. But am concerned that here in Australia we only get 12 months frame coverage.
    my only experience with carbon was a 2014 intense spider 29 that i am selling due to having cracked one frame( covered by warranty) and less than desirable rear end stiffness, poor pedalling and handling. Any advise welcome.
    Love Pivot!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have had a Carbon version for 2 months and it is very stiff. My other bike is a 2008 Pivot Mach 5 and the 429 C is stiffer. Can't help with the reliability of mine as it is too new but they are overbuilt compared to other brands. You also get better rear tyre clearance with a Carbon over Aluminium.

I have run into enough people at races with 429 Carbons and all I hear is how fantastic a bike they are. So far I have to agree.

Did not know about the 1 year warranty here but a mate who works for the distributor says it is 3 years from purchase for the original owner which sounds fair. I'm also an Aussie so sounds like someone has given you wrong information.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks Vinno am pretty sure I will get the 429c. Was just concerned I was going to blow more coin like did on my spider. But have only heard good reports on the pivot. Plus I still love my old 429a.

mtbr member

Alloy v Carbon 429

My friend speaks very well about his carbon 429, although also riding for just a couple of months he seconds the comment from Vino, frames are very strong and oberbuilt, I wouldn't be afraid!

mtbr member
    2 year old 5.7c that has spent time tumbling down inclines in Moab with no issues. I don't even think about it as an issue.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I've broken a few frames and although I've had my carbon for only a couple of months, so far so good. I've had issues with other carbon frames and felt that the only carbon frame that may hold up for me is a Pivot. My previous frame was a alloy 429.

Long Live the Gorn!
    The Carbon is really stout and short of doing something really stupid/unfortunate it will most likely way outperform its user. I have nearly 2K miles & ~300K ft / climb / descend of Socal dirt, loose rocks, mud, rock gardens, small drops, reasonable air time, tons of high speed braking bumps (Courtesy of SoCal Drought) cactus, a couple good falls at speed, and it has not blinked.....I would say I am pretty rough on it. I have the matte with red and the finish is very durable, the under armor and stay armor is great. Durability of this frame *never* enters my mind except that I put some stouter wheels on to match the stiffness of the frame, which all reviews commented on how stout and stiff the frame is .. its an amazing platform.
    Plus the geo is tuned over the Alloy, plus more rear tire clearance... Think the carbon is a 400-500 more... IMHO ... if you are going to own this for a couple years..its really no choice.

Edit:
    Plus I don't think I remember anyone posting a frame failure here..

Pivotal figure
    The warranty is indeed 3 years from date of purchase. Do keep in mind that there are some geometry differences between the Alloy & Carbon so the ride will be a bit different (most riders say it feels more like a 26" wheel bike's handling with the 29" wheel bump performance).
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    The warranty is indeed 3 years from date of purchase. Do keep in mind that there are some geometry differences between the Alloy & Carbon so the ride will be a bit different (most riders say it feels more like a 26" wheel bike's handling with the 29" wheel bump performance).
    That's my thoughts exactly, coming off a Mach 5 the tight corner handling is just as good and a bit more stable on the fast stuff. Probably the lower bottom bracket helps. With 120mm forks it has a very similar head angle to my Mach 5 with 140mm so steering was near identical.

make mine a nine

Alloy v Carbon 429

Interesting discussion. I thought Oz also only had 1year warranty, so it must be printed somewhere. When I asked the bike shop this week, they said 6 years.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by abevern View Post
    Interesting discussion. I thought Oz also only had 1year warranty, so it must be printed somewhere. When I asked the bike shop this week, they said 6 years.
    Pivot has 1 year on frame finish, 3 years on the frame itself, so that might have been where you thought 1 year.

Tech Info | Pivot Cycles - Mountain Bikes for XC, Trail, Downhill

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by abevern View Post
    For Australian pivots I have been told 1year 3 and up to 5 years. Will hopefully get a straight answer before to long from my LBS.

make mine a nine

Alloy v Carbon 429

Quote Originally Posted by dick74 View Post
    For Australian pivots I have been told 1year 3 and up to 5 years. Will hopefully get a straight answer before to long from my LBS.
    Pivot says 3, so that's good enough for me.
    Back on topic, I'm test riding a carbon tomorrow. Hopefully it's everything I've heard.

make mine a nine

Alloy v Carbon 429

Update: distributor says 5 years on frame, and he could not recall any breakages.

mtbr member
    Getting back to the subject: Does anyone know the weight of the carbon frame?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jrsbike View Post
    Getting back to the subject: Does anyone know the weight of the carbon frame?
    I think the medium frame is around 2740 grams or there abouts. Mine is in that range and there is one in the 429 Carbon thread at 2743 grams.

mtbr member

Alloy v Carbon 429

Medium frame. Minus 100 g for bb and 20-30 grams for headset cups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    mine is over a year already since march, the only problem i can think off are the bearings (pivot linkage & headset) life span. linkage have been replaced once & headset twice. im not an aggressive rider but i weigh ~215lbs geared.

i think im starting to hear the headset again, so i might change to KCs on my next visit to my lbs.

btw, here's my toy.
    PIVOT

mtbr member
    Thank you. So that's about a pound more than a Ripley, but its a very strong and stiff frame.

change is good
    Sep 2004

Alloy v Carbon 429

My medium came in around 6.1lba with shock. I read in a couple reviews that flex was felt in the Ripley. I felt flex in my Tallboy but it wasn't extreme. I weigh 230-250lbs. I do love the stiffness of the 429a and 429c. The 429c is the Sean Connery/007 equivalent of frames.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk