mtbr member

Alloy 5.7 bearing life

Anyone had dw link bearing problems? 1 year on and a lot of play from main lower bearing is that normal? Is there a bearing kit I can get in the UK and how easy is it to do yourself?
    A bit disappointed its my wife's bike, she is very light and not a very aggressive biker I hope this not the start of problems with this frame :-(
    Rolling & Tumbling

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by miggy View Post
    Anyone had dw link bearing problems? 1 year on and a lot of play from main lower bearing is that normal? Is there a bearing kit I can get in the UK and how easy is it to do yourself?
    A bit disappointed its my wife's bike, she is very light and not a very aggressive biker I hope this not the start of problems with this frame :-(
    Sealed cartige bearings for bicycles is one of the biggest scams in biking.
    External cup and cone can be completely sealed and lasts for ever and is cheap and... is easy to service.

Sealed cart bearing are made to roll in a straight line. Lateral force destroys them.

Time after time Sealed carts get play, why? Because of lateral force due to the nature of bikes.

Big heavy 6 sealed cat bearing hubs are marketed and the bomb product right?

Why 6 why not just 2 ? Lateral force is why.

Sure, you can do this, but i see no point. The cost and weight are off the chart. 6 sealed bearing weigh as much as a entire hub in a cup cone setup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miggy View Post
    Yes it's normal - do you check the torque on all the bolts periodically? You'll need to replace the bearings at least once a year depending on how much you ride and the conditions you ride in. This is especially true for the link pin bearings. Just a reality with sealed bearings and is something you'd need to do with a lot of other bikes w/sealed bearings (e.g. Ibis). Not a huge deal since bearings are cheap. One suggestion is that you open the seal on the new bearings and add more bearing grease. For whatever reason, they come pretty dry, so adding more will prolong he life. Something one of my LBS's who specialize in high end bikes shared with me. Also, make sure you follow Pivot's torque specs which can be found on their site. And don't forget the Loc-tite blue on the link bolt.

The bearings are common, but it's easier just to get them from Pivot. They don't sell direct to customers, so you need to order via your LBS. Pretty straight forward to do, though I personally just have my LBS do it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I was under the impression that Pivot had a 1 or 2 year warranty on the linkage bearings? My bearings went in my lower link on my 5.7C, and the entire lower linkage was replaced. Granted, the original setup within the linkage differs to the bearing layout in the linkage that replaced it, but I thought I'd seen the 1/2 yr warranty figure bandied about somewhere.

It's worth checking if your lower linkage rearward setup is 1st Gen (single double-width stacked bearing) or 2nd Gen (2 individual bearings). If it's a 1st Gen, you may want to change the whole linkage, or get it re-worked with new bearings. It'll have to be re-worked, as the newer bearing set is wider than the original single bearing.

But that said, I put my old Giant Trance through lots of riding in the 3 years I had it, no problems at all with the bearings. I had my Mach 4 for 2 years, and no issues whatsoever too. The 5.7C was the first bike I ever had issues with bearings on. No problem though, as I was thoroughly looked after by my LBS and distributors