Single Track Addict

New question here. "All Mountain" Pivot Les 29'r Recipe?

I've been a long time full suspension rider, but my brother loaned me his Les earlier this spring while my SB66c was awaiting hub parts, and I am totally smitten.

However his Les is built more XC, and my style is more...aggressive.

So, my question is; has anyone built one of these frames with a 130-140mm fork, "wider" rims and ~2.5" tires, and a shorter ~50mm stem?

EDIT: IF so, how did it ride? Was it too raked out? I'm not set on the fork travel; honestly the bike took everything I threw at it with only 100mm of travel, so 120 (or 130) might be completely sufficient.

I'm interested in keeping it light(er) but improving its ability to soak up some of the smaller stuff with the larger tires/ longer travel fork.

Thanks,

Chris
    Will ride singletrack for food...

change is good
    Sep 2004

"All Mountain" Pivot Les 29'r Recipe?

Before you do that, maybe you should test ride something like this.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

"All Mountain" Pivot Les 29'r Recipe?

Think this is what you're looking for

http://twentynineinches.com/2014/06/...l-perspective/

74 & 29 pilot
    I've had my Les since December and running it with a dropper, 55mm stem, 120mm Fox Float and 2.3/2.2 tires. It comes in at 23.5 lbs and is a super versatile frame! I absolutely love this bike and it feels like I'm riding a BMX on the more groomed and twisty trails. I have however, recently, been thinking about a 29+ capable fat bike since I read the review of the Borealis Echo on 29inches.com. So I've decided to do some experimenting with the Les. While I'm rebuilding my DT Swiss XR 1501 wheels with 27/22mm rims, I'm running my Derby wides with a Knard 3.0 on front and a Bonti XR4 2.3 on the rear. I tried the 3.0 in the rear and it just barely rubbed the chain stay; Plenty of clearance on the yoke. I REALLY WISH that the 3.0 fit in the rear of my Les, cause if it did I wouldn't consider a different from for a 29+ bike. On the Derby rims the Knard measures 2.9+ and the XR 4 at 2.3+, so the rear triangle of the Les will easily take a true 2.5 tire.

I don't think I would run anything bigger than the 120mm on the Les, but I'm sure it could handle it. This bike can take an AM role easily if you want to set it up that way.

MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

74 & 29 pilot
    OKAY, HOW'S THIS FOR AM?!?!

Got the new VeeTireCO Trax Fatty 29 3.0 and it only comes out to 2.5?? knob to knob and 2.733 on the casing at 30 PSI, mounted on Derby wide rim. Deflated to 20 PSI or less, it fits in the Les rear with about 2.5 mm clearance on each side at the casing. Plenty of room for the knobs and the diameter of the tire. My frame is protected on the back of the seat post, inside the yolk and inside the stays, so I thought I'd give it a roll. F'N COOL!! If I had a couple more mm of clearance on each side, I'd really ride it, but I already ordered a Gnarvester 29+ frame. I will be keeping the Les though, cause it just ROCKS no matter what setup your running!!

KENNY B, DAN and ARRON: PLEASE, PLEASE push CC for a Les 29+ frame!!!!!!!

MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/