mtbr member
    Mar 2006

66 Degree HTA on 26" Firebird

I'm contemplating getting an angleset for my 2012 'bird to try out a slacker head tube angle. I'm running a 170mm Lyrik, which makes for stock geometry, and would like to stick with this fork because I love it.

I was thinking about dropping the HTA from 67.1 to 66.1. Wondering how people feel about this mod after similar efforts? How much does it drop the bottom bracket height?

Lastly I'm wondering what angleset to buy. Do they make cups for 1.5" headtubes that will accept a tapered steerer?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a firebird with a 170 fork and love it, do you want it slacker? It's incredible on steep fast descents as is no?
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    My riding style is changing such that I'm getting more forward on the bike, and I want that extra confidence of slackening it. It seems that bikes in this class have settled on 66-66.5 degree HTA and a lower bottom bracket height than what the stock Firebird has going. I'm curious to see if there is something to that trend, but am not ready to go frame shopping at the moment.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ah, I just hear the angle set is creaky. Would be an interesting thing to try though.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Heard that too. All 6in+ single crown forks creak these days, so I figure I'm use to it already.

I do what I want

Re: 66 Degree HTA on 26" Firebird

Buy a workscomponents angle headset doesn't creak, no gimbles.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

Pivotal figure
    I'm actually running a 1.5deg cup in my bike right now with a 170mm fork. It's a little slower on corners but still snappy and the descending is sweet. I haven't really noticed any negative effects from the BB height but I'm pretty used to pedaling longer travel bikes anyway..
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    I run a 1.5 Works headset in my Firebird with a 170 Lyric. I did it to get a longer front center, the stock head angle was fine for my use but I always felt i was up on top of the front wheel too much pumping around at higher speeds. The headset is generally quite although my fork makes some creeks from time to time. BB height is taller than with my non angled headset because the btm cup on those works headsets is massive. Im at a hair under a 14" bb.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Is this the one I want for a tapered steerer?

NEW - 1 0 Degree ZS49 -EC49 - Tapered Steerer Tube Headset

I've got a large, and the head tube length is 5.5", but for that particular headset it has a max head tube rating of 5.3". Will this have an effect of reducing the total amount of degrees slackened (make it steeper than it should be?)?

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    That headset wont fit you have to buy the 1.5 degree headset in the biggest size. It will have an effect that the 2 headset cups will be at the wrong angle to one another and you will get excessive creaking, pooping and short headset life with near instant indexing.

Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab View Post
    Is this the one I want for a tapered steerer?

NEW - 1 0 Degree ZS49 -EC49 - Tapered Steerer Tube Headset

I've got a large, and the head tube length is 5.5", but for that particular headset it has a max head tube rating of 5.3". Will this have an effect of reducing the total amount of degrees slackened (make it steeper than it should be?)?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    How about a 650b up front?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I just bought some carbon rims, so I'm going to keep the wheel size the same, plus it seems like the Lyrik is really clearance limited with 650b wheels.

@Endomanciac (or Ken): Is the internal diameter of the FB heat tube 49, or something bigger?

Pivotal figure
    The Firebird's ID is "Standard" 1.5 so 49.6mm top & bottom. 56mm is 1.5 inset sizing (also called zerostack) which is what we have on the Mach series bikes lower cup.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I've been using the 1.5 degree shock works headset and burgtec offset shock bushings for about a year now. Haven't had any trouble with either. Drops the firebird a fair bit, and gets it nice and slack. DH bikes are now around 63 or less, with low bb heights, so having an AM bike 65 or less with a dropped bb feels good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Just talked to a Works representative. They now offer a 1 degree headset that will work for the 5.5" head tubes of a large 'bird. I've been playing around with the Cane Creek calculator and the iphone head tube angle app and found that the 1 degree Works headset will reduce the head angle by 0.8 degrees to 66.3, and the 1.5 degree headset drops it 1.1 degrees to 66.0 on the dot. Both drop the bb a little less than 2mm. I think I'm going to grab a 1 degree.

obsessive
    I was surprised when Pivot went with the same HA on the Firebird that they spec on the 5.7. I got a 1 deg angleset to slacken the 5.7, and I don't lose any steering prowess because I run a dual-position air fort (RS version of TALAS).

I steepened my Phoenix by 1 degree also, and have not had any squeaks with the angleset. Just use grease when you put it together.
    Go out and ride your bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I invested in the 1 degree Works headset, this is my report:

With the 170mm Lyrik, it slacked the bike out from 67.1 to 66.2. BB was around 13.9". First ride, the steering was noticeably slower to me, and the front end kept washing out at unpredictable moments. I felt substantially slower in the turns, and it felt like the rear end was pushing the front. I sped up the rebound and got as far over the front as I could, but couldn't get over the feeling that it was a compromise. Straight line stability was marginally better, but nothing to write home about. Technical climbing actually felt better to me, didn't really notice a difference on gradual climbs. The bike felt weird after this mod.

I thought about swapping the old headset back in, but then I had an idea. I had the opportunity to grab a 160mm coil u-turn spring assembly. Popped it in. The HTA jumped up to 66.6 and bottom bracket dropped to 13.7ish. Good god this geometry is magic for this bike. It rails so hard now, I cannot get the front to wash out. I don't notice the loss in travel. I still can plow through just about anything. In the three years of riding this bike it has never felt this balanced. Pretty satisfied with the result.