mtbr member
    Dec 2004

6'0" + Large 429 = wrong size? worried.

Just picked up a 2010.5 429. I was a bit concerned about the 24.75 ETT being long, but the parking-lot 5 minute demo ride felt right and it put the concerns to rest. They didn't have a medium on the floor. I know the website advises 6'1" +, but the demo felt right and I had recently demo'd a 24.75 ETT Ellsworth that felt right too. Anyway, got home and rode for an hour on neighborhood sidewalks and the back of my neck and the palms of my hands hurt. By the end of the ride, I really felt like I was leaning forward and looking up too much. Going to try a shorter stem (have the XT kit WCS Ritchey 110). For comparison, my '09 SJ FSR 29 and Niner WFO are size large and I've never had neck or palm discomfort.

Suggestions? Encouragement?

mtbr member
    I think these bikes run a little big. I am a little taller than you, however the geometry of the medium 429 matches the large geometry in my previous bike and I didnt want to go any longer on the top tube. I bought mine online and couldnt test ride, I will find out if my assumptions are wrong once I get the last few pieces to finish the bike this week.

Maybe if I am wrong we can swap frames, mines a red medium, haha.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I had a similar situation, but with sm/md, called Pivot, they suggested a medium. It took a while to dial in the stem length and height and the bar height, couldn't be happier now.
    dirtaoist

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

update

thanks for the replies. I took it out for a good shakedown ride today and put it through the paces

http://connect.garmin.com/player/47864849

Well, I'm relieved -- the 110mm stem is a bit long for my height, but overall, the L felt much better out on the trail than on the sidewalk.
    The riding position on this bike in 95mm TALAS setting is quite XC aggressive for my taste and on the sidewalk I'm looking really far ahead while zipping around in the big ring and not moving the body around, thereby causing alot of strain on the back of my neck and weight on the palms. Out on the trail, when I am getting behind the seat, then moving forward on the nose of the seat to climb, then standing to mash a climb and changing between all these positions alot, along with flipping from 95 to 120mm, I am not in a position long enough to develop these pains. I love the geometry in 120mm, but do notice quicker turn-in at 95mm.

Adim, I think a medium + 110 stem should do you fine since you are taller. I'm going to a 50 or 70 stem next. Based on two days of riding, I believe that a medium or large could work with some cockpit tuning for someone around my height. Someday I'll come across someone with a M on the trail and check it out.

mtbr member
    I'm 6', too, and when I demo'd both in the parking lot, I felt scrunched up on the M, but OK on the L. This was a parking lot demo, too, though, so it's not a lot to go on. I think you'll be OK, like you said, with some minor tweaking of the stem length.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    I'm 6'1" and have short legs/long torso.... L seems good for TT length. I think it'll be all good. Looks like the other posters agree.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    6' and the large fits perfectly...90mm stem.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by V02 deficient
    thanks for the replies. I took it out for a good shakedown ride today and put it through the paces

http://connect.garmin.com/player/47864849

Well, I'm relieved -- the 110mm stem is a bit long for my height, but overall, the L felt much better out on the trail than on the sidewalk.
    The riding position on this bike in 95mm TALAS setting is quite XC aggressive for my taste and on the sidewalk I'm looking really far ahead while zipping around in the big ring and not moving the body around, thereby causing alot of strain on the back of my neck and weight on the palms. Out on the trail, when I am getting behind the seat, then moving forward on the nose of the seat to climb, then standing to mash a climb and changing between all these positions alot, along with flipping from 95 to 120mm, I am not in a position long enough to develop these pains. I love the geometry in 120mm, but do notice quicker turn-in at 95mm.

Adim, I think a medium + 110 stem should do you fine since you are taller. I'm going to a 50 or 70 stem next. Based on two days of riding, I believe that a medium or large could work with some cockpit tuning for someone around my height. Someday I'll come across someone with a M on the trail and check it out.

Did you level the seat at the 120mm fork height or 95mm? If you set the seat level at 120mm, then riding around on the street at 95 the seat will be tilting forward, putting more weight on your hands and making you stiffen your shoulders and arch your neck a bit more.

I recommend leveling the seat at the fork height you'll be using most when you're on level ground. For me, I would have it level at 120mm, as I only drop a fork for long climbs, when on a steep climb, dropping the fork will then drop the angle of the seat as well, making it a little more comfortable. If you plan to ride primarily in 95mm, and only use 120mm on downhills, you could do the opposite.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

Rider and Wrench
    Threads getting a bit old but figured I add my 2 cents for future searches- I am 5' 9" but and went with a med- I can't imagine riding the small- but I ride XC not anything super aggressive so that might play a part? I run a 90mm stem with a 25-26" bar, I have a fairly long upper body/arms and broad sholders so the long top tube seems to fit great.
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I am 5'9" 5'10" and am on a medium mach 5. Fits like a glove. Picked up a 10 demo. Now if I can just figure out my rear deraulier issue. RD cable seems a bit snug.....not much slack...wondering if that is causing my ghost and inconsistent shifting issues. MY first FS after 10 yrs. on my HT. Love it.

Severum

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    I'm 6'1" and can ride either a large or a medium. I would go with a medium because it fits my style of riding better, but if I were a XC racer guy. Those of us in the 6 foot range are stuck in the middle of 2 sizes that can work well for us...

I hope you feel better once you get on it and ride on your trails.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

update

Just a ~ 10 week update to help future "what size" searchers...

Didn't get the stem changed out in time for the Flagstaff Barn Burner 104, so did it with the 110mm. Ended up riding with the fork in 120mm most of the time for a comfortable position on the back of the neck and hands, even though it was mostly a forest-road course. Since then, have tried a 70mm and 90mm stem.

In summary, the large frame is the right size for me with a 70 or 90mm stem, depending on the terrain and how often I need to get back behind the seat. The 70 is nicer on the downhills, but the end of the handlebars get too close to my knees on the switchbacks.

It looks like I am going to go with a 90 stem + dropper post and be done. The only fit issue I had was with a 110 stem and fork in the 95mm position.

mtbr member
    Cool, it sounds like you've got it dialed.

I think my large 429 is a perfect fit for me at 6'1" with a 90mm stem and 27" bar, and I'm still loving the 120mm fork setting for most everything (1/8" spacer below the stem).
    Last edited by robertj; 11-17-2010 at 09:02 PM.

mtbr member
    I am a tad over 6-ft with long legs.. I had to send my medium back to Speedgoat and replace with a large... there was NO WAY.. medium was crunched.. as it is.. I have a 100mm stem and setback seatpost...

mtbr member
    Well, since I've decided on a 429, it was time to decide the size issue. I rode a M on a longer road ride and it seemed OK. Since a smaller bike should have a bit better handling and be a bit lighter - and because all the leftover bikes in blue/white are M only - I was hoping I could ride the M.

But, after putting a medium in a trainer and getting some key dimensions checked, it would be just too crunched for the way I'm built and like to feel on a bike. So it's a Large for me... now if I could only find one leftover (in blue and white, preferably) on sale!! There's none in the Front Range area.

Anyone seen one in their local shops?
    Last edited by skiahh; 11-27-2010 at 07:46 PM.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh
    Well, since I've decided on a 429, it was time to decide the size issue. I rode a M on a longer road ride and it seemed OK. Since a smaller bike should have a bit better handling and be a bit lighter - and because all the leftover bikes in blue/white are M only - I was hoping I could ride the M.

But, after putting a medium in a trainer and getting some key dimensions checked, it would be just too crunched for the way I'm build and like to feel on a bike. So it's a Large for me... now if I could only find one leftover on sale!! There's none in the Front Range area.

Anyone seen one in their local shops?
    My local shop, The Path in CA, had a 2010 large for $1,650 a few days ago. I am pretty sure that the list price was $2,200 or so. I think that they ship for free. Here is a link:

http://thepathbikeshop.com/clearance-room/

Click on "frame clearance list".
    Last edited by bauhaus; 11-27-2010 at 10:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bauhaus
    My local shop, The Path, had a large for $1,650 a few days ago. I think that they ship for free. Here is a link:

http://thepathbikeshop.com/clearance-room/

Click on "fream clearance list".
    Hmmm.... very tempting. I really want the Blue and White painted one, but....
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany