mtbr member
    Mar 2013

5.7C FRT Deraileur rubbing

So I have had my 2013 5.7C build up and ridden now for over a month and let me say I love this thing. I built it from the ground up doing all the work myself including lowering a Fox 34 down to 150mm. My only issue is the front deraileur. When I am in the top ring up front and bottom 2 rings in back I get rubbing. I readjusted after a few rides and I got it better but it is still there. I run a 2x10 24-38 up front and a 11-34 out back. The rear shifts super clean and so does the front, but the rubbing bothers me and I am stumped as what to do. When I installed the bottom bracket I did not use any spacers as what I read with a BB92 press you didnt require any, not that I see it would fit correctly anyway. But could that be the problem. If I pull more cable through the clamp to get rid of the rub the shifting suffers. I love the 2x10 setup but this rubbing stinks. I will try to take pictures of the deraileur set up if that would help but no matter how much I adjust the high or low screw it doesnt seem to rid it rubbing. I posted this in the drivetrain forum a day ago but no one responded so I figured let me go to my pivot brothers and sisters. I am pretty good mechanically I just am stumped and I know this has got to be something simple but I am missing it somehow.

Pivotal figure
    You don't want to use any spacer on the BB, the chainline will be correct without it. Is the chain rubbing on the side of the der or the bottom?
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    No it is rubbing on the outside away from the bike.. I have the height adjusted correctly 2mm max away from the large cog ring. But when I adjust the hi screw to move the derailleur out I then start to get shifting issues. I think I might just have to take the bike in to the shop I got the frame from and see if they can help me out. They were very helpful in my build process and offered me all kinds of advice and tips. Great store for the Pivot brand. Unless of course you have another Idea I can try.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Spidey,

I would suggest taking it in. I think you just have an adjustment issue, and that shop can help you fine tune it.
    Thanks for being a member of the PIVOT Family!
    Daniel
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks guys for the response. I will try and get to the shop this weekend. Not many Pivots here in Toronto, Canada, So I'm glad to represent. I have been eyeing the 5.7c since its inception and went all out this year. I will try to take some pics tonight and post them on line for all to see. everybody I talk to I tell them what a great bike the 5.7c is as well as the pivot brand.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: 5.7C FRT Deraileur rubbing

If its dragging on the outer derailleur plate, its probably not the height. You said that loosening the limit screw for the big ring hurts shifting. How?

If the upper limit screw is too loose, the worst that should happen is the chain comes off the outside of the big ring. So dial it down a quarter turn at a time until it doesn't drag, but can't over shift the chain off the ring. If you've tried that, what happened?
    ------------------------------------------------
    They're justified and they're ancient and they like to roam the land

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I will try that today, talked to the LBS and they would take a look to anytime I bring it in. Its just kinda frustrating cause I can't figure it out myself but I guess everyone needs help once in awhile. Heres a pic of my baby.

5.7C FRT Deraileur rubbing-bike.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    That bike looks so good! I hope it comes with a 34mm fork for the 2014 model, thats the only thing i am waiting on to buy one myself.