mtbr member
    Mar 2013

5.7C BB92 build question

Started my build last night on my 5.7c. The frame ame from the factory with the BB92 already pressed in. My question is when I installed the double crank and tighten everything up the crank just doesn't roll freely as I am used to on a regular BB. Nothing feels like it is grinding or out of place just feels a little stiffer. Will this loosen up or did I do something wrong. Didn't use any spacers on the crank but the instructions dont come for a BB92.

Pivotal figure
    The pressfit BB bearings and seals have a bit more drag than most BB's. You do want to make sure not to overtighten the preload nut as well.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    This might sound stupid of me but what is the preload nut. I looked through all the shimano instructions on both the crank and the bottom bracket and can't find any reference to a preload nut. Is that the plastic peice that loads the non drive arm together with the drive side?? My apologize if I sound stupid here. Never had this issue before on other bottom brackets. Took the Non drive arm off last night and it still feels the same, so my assumption is that it is just stiff from packing of grease from factory and it will loosen with time. Hopefully am write and I dont ruin this thing.

mtbr member
    Yes, preload nut is on non chain side. You'll need Shimano's hand tool to tighten (lightly). It'll will seemingly spin more freely once you start putting miles and torque on it. All BB's ride a bit different, not a big deal - you won't notice after if not during your first ride. Take it to your LBS after a few rides if it is really sticky though.

Pivotal figure
    I had to look on the Shimano site to see what the "official" term is for that part. It's the "crank arm fixing bolt". Now I know. Guess I have to stop calling it the plastic nut thingy
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude