mtbr member
    Dec 2009

5.7 Compared to M5

Hi guys,

I'm riding a medium M5 with high volume canister. I've read about the improvements of the 5.7, and actually did a parking lot test with one. I honestly couldn't tell the difference.

Can those who have moved up from the M5 to 5.7 share their experience/advice with me? I don't want to drop the serious coin unless I'm as sure as I can be! Thanks, skim

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by skim500
    Hi guys,

I'm riding a medium M5 with high volume canister. I've read about the improvements of the 5.7, and actually did a parking lot test with one. I honestly couldn't tell the difference.

Can those who have moved up from the M5 to 5.7 share their experience/advice with me? I don't want to drop the serious coin unless I'm as sure as I can be! Thanks, skim

I originally owned a Mach 5 and now have a Mach 5.7. The Mach 5.7 is definitely more plush than the Mach 5. The M5.7's suspension feels bottomless. The M5's suspension felt more like a plush XC bike. The M5.7 has more of an "all-mountain feel. The M5.7 frame is lighter. My large M5.7 weighs 6.5 lbs. my M5 weighed 7 lbs.

When the propedal is set on 1, it feels like the M5 - perfect for endurance racing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks JTBaz,

Thanks for your reply. Sounds like you're very happy with your move. Was your M5 a high volume canister?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks JTBaz,

Thanks for your reply. Sounds like you're very happy with your move. Was your M5 a high volume canister?

My M5 had the high volume canister.

I also notice the 5.7 is better on the square edge bumps. It does a better job of smooting out the edge. The other difference between the 5 and 5.7 is the lower bb on the 5.7. I have not had any pedal strikes with the lower bb. The bike is stable in tight corners. Some reviews have indicated the 5.7 wanders on steep climbs but I have not experienced the front end wandering. The only thing I don't like about the 5.7 is the slightly longer wheelbase - at least it feels like it is a little longer. The 5.7 does feel a little slacker with the 68.7 HT

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks, I was curious about pedal strikes. My technique can be horrible sometimes climbing over stuff, so I appreciate the extra clearance.

Do you feel the 5.7 climbs as well as the M5? That's the main reason I got the bike in the first place (replacing my HL 5 Spot).

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks, I was curious about pedal strikes. My technique can be horrible sometimes climbing over stuff, so I appreciate the extra clearance.

Do you feel the 5.7 climbs as well as the M5? That's the main reason I got the bike in the first place (replacing my HL 5 Spot).
    The 5.7 climbs better than the 5, particularly on rocky sections. I also have a Turner DW link 5 spot. The 5.7 feels plusher than my DW Spot.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks man, this information really helps. Nice bikes by the way! I love the geometry on the M5. I tried to tweak my Spot to match it playing with stem lengths and laybacks, but it didn't feel the same. There's a demo day in my area in March. It'll be fun to A/B the Pivots.

Thank you again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Sorry, are you running a 140mm or 150mm fork?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Sorry, are you running a 140mm or 150mm fork?
    I am currently running a 140 Float RLC on the bike. The front and rear suspension match up nicely; but I definitely would like to see how a 150 mm fork feels on this bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Would you buy the M5 again if you had it to do over again?? I'm about to pull the trigger on a M5 this week so ya'll input would be great.

Also I thought i would buy a Rockshox fork this time around. Is the Revelation 150 going to go ok with the 5.3 rear of the M5?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Well I think since the 5.7 has superceded the M5, it really comes down to how much you're willing to pay. The 5.7 has an MSRP of $2k, so what is the availability and value of a M5 (I assume you're buying used). I started this thread to try and determine whether fellow PIvot'ers felt it was worth paying the premium to upgrade to the 5.7. JTBAZ has called out some compelling reasons to do so.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacharoo
    Would you buy the M5 again if you had it to do over again?? I'm about to pull the trigger on a M5 this week so ya'll input would be great.

Also I thought i would buy a Rockshox fork this time around. Is the Revelation 150 going to go ok with the 5.3 rear of the M5?
    All things being equal, I would choose the M5.7, if the choice was between an M5 and M5.7.

I had a revelation u-turn on my M5. Most of the time I had it dialed in at 140 and occassional I would increase the travel to 150 for descents. The M5 felt balanced at 140.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Ive looked at the 5.7 and like that its lighter than the M5 but its....and know this is not important but the M5 is better looking. I riding in the Atlanta area and think that the 5.7 is to much travel for what I ride.

I ride a single speed most days and would like to replace my classic blur with something bad to the bone. I know I'm hijacking this thread but I really like the Turner Flux---not the price though.

Its just to hard to choose anymore......

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Ive looked at the 5.7 and like that its lighter than the M5 but its....and know this is not important but the M5 is better looking. I riding in the Atlanta area and think that the 5.7 is to much travel for what I ride.

I ride a single speed most days and would like to replace my classic blur with something bad to the bone. I know I'm hijacking this thread but I really like the Turner Flux---not the price though.

Its just to hard to choose anymore......

I have had a DW Flux - great bike. If you ride a single speed, going to 5.7 inches of travel would be dramatic. I live in Phoenix - rocky. Accordingly, I like the travel. The DW Flux is plush. It is also a good option. Can you give more of a descripton of how you intend to use the M5/Flux?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I ride mostly XC single track 95% of the time. The few truely rough terrian around here is one foot ruts that are due to rain. Asheville NC has very similar terrian just more epic and we ride Dupont and a few others. I love to climb and roll single track...the climbs truely show who's in shape and who just rides on pretty Saturdays.

I would love to have a Turner Spot or Flux but there is no way to test ride one anywhere near here. The Pivot is to me also a fantastic bike and I have a dealer in my "backyard". The M5 is my first pick because it XC-ish and all mountain and one can be had new for 1500. I'd run it with a 140 fork and full xtr and marta's SL's. CK hubs and Stans rims. Thomson post and stem.

I always set up all my bikes for light weight within reason and worry a 30 pound bike will spoil the ride. The worry is the $. 4g's is alot to guess with so I move slow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I ride mostly XC single track 95% of the time. The few truely rough terrian around here is one foot ruts that are due to rain. Asheville NC has very similar terrian just more epic and we ride Dupont and a few others. I love to climb and roll single track...the climbs truely show who's in shape and who just rides on pretty Saturdays.

I would love to have a Turner Spot or Flux but there is no way to test ride one anywhere near here. The Pivot is to me also a fantastic bike and I have a dealer in my "backyard". The M5 is my first pick because it XC-ish and all mountain and one can be had new for 1500. I'd run it with a 140 fork and full xtr and marta's SL's. CK hubs and Stans rims. Thomson post and stem.

I always set up all my bikes for light weight within reason and worry a 30 pound bike will spoil the ride. The worry is the $. 4g's is alot to guess with so I move slow.

Based upon your post I would recommend the M5. It is between a DW Flux and DW Spot. $1500 is a good price. As many have said, the M5 is a long legged XCish bike. Sounds perfect for your riding style.