Thread: 429XT or SLX

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

429XT or SLX

Humour me here people! I must decide between two shops, one has a 429 XT for $5900 (aus) the other a 429 SLX for $4800(aus). How better specced is a XT(2010) over a SLX (2010) and would I notice any difference on the trails? SLX is fashionable in RED,the XT is ageless in BLACK! (Don't let colour influence your opinions)
    What is the weight of these 2 or difference in medium?
    The shop with XT is local the SLX interstate!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Heya Mate,
    Good to hear you're looking into a Pivot. I've had my Mach4 for a while now, and absolutely love it!

Spec wise, there's definitely a noticeable difference between XT & SLX, especially in the shifting. That said, it's not going to make the bike ride badly having SLX.

I think though that the last line of your post answers your question. Having a LBS to sort out any issues for you is invaluable. Buying the bike interstate, while cheaper initially, may bite you in the bum if anything goes wrong. Your local shop will service it, but I'm sure they'll be nice, but forming a relationship with your local bike shop is something that really helps in the long run. And buying a bike from them is one of the best ways to form that relationship.

I guess you would also have to consider shipping costs to get the bike to you from interstate...

All in all, I would be buying the local bike, as the spec is better, the support will be better, and, of course, it's in black!! The Black Ano is awesome!

And to all the MTBR guys, buying from Interstate here in Aus is a much more difficult affair than buying from the next state over there in the States

mtbr member
    Well... can you afford the extra money for the XT version?

In general, I'm a firm believer in getting the middle level stuff - regardless of what I'm buying, so if you can afford it, I'd go with the XT bike. You'll get better performance, weight and durability over the SLX stuff. That's a generalization, and there's probably exceptions, but I've been very happy with XT stuff.

As Ilsidur pointed out, having the LBS handy is also something to consider. What will shipping be from the distant shop? How much does that reduce the difference between the two?

Red is good looking. Black is better. So that's a bonus. Personally, if I decide on the 429, I'm going for the Blue/White one.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The SLX includes shipping at $4800.
    I am pretty sure the Fork and Wheelset are the same on the 2 bikes. I just get Hayes Stroker Trail brakes(unkown) instead of XT (the best) on the SLX and a heavy post and bar?
    If my derailer died I would be inclined to swap over my XO shifters and X9 deralieur off my 2009 GF Paragon.(don't know why but i prefer Sram shifters over Shimano) But the $1100 saving could get me some sexy wheelset or spares!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The combination of brakes & LBS support would definitely tip the balance for me. I'd be going the locally bought XT equipped bike!

mtbr member
    I think that supporting your local shop and getting the XT upgrades would be worth it. You should be able to negotiate a reduction in price on the XT since the 2010 stuff is "last years" now. Speedgoat has their signature 429's about $600US off right now.
    http://speedgoat.com/product.asp?par...=19&brand=1195
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    I think that supporting your local shop and getting the XT upgrades would be worth it. You should be able to negotiate a reduction in price on the XT since the 2010 stuff is "last years" now. Speedgoat has their signature 429's about $600US off right now.
    http://speedgoat.com/product.asp?par...=19&brand=1195
    The prices above are super discounted already.The RRP for a PIVOT 429XT in Australia is $7799(AUS) It is almost worth a plane ticket to USA and the Aussia $ hit parity with you Yanks today!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Strong
    The prices above are super discounted already.The RRP for a PIVOT 429XT in Australia is $7799(AUS) It is almost worth a plane ticket to USA and the Aussia $ hit parity with you Yanks today!
    Yeah man! Fly up here and I'll take you riding on your new rig before you go back. I think it's only about a 30 hour trip each way plus it's winter here and summer there, right?
    "It looks flexy"

Fat & Single
    Mark , im in Oz as you can probably see. I got a new frame at a steal price here from edge cycles for $1999 , now there is a bit of a story behind that but its history now.
    I have built up a better than XTR specced 429 for way less than an XT price, so my advice is to buy the frame only from the US and get it shipped here using shipito.com or viaddress.com then build it up the way you want. As 29ers aren't massive here yet i have seen slightly used second hand frames on eBay occasionally for under $1800 too.

Your import tax on a full bike will leave a sour taste .
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks Ozzy.You have opened up a world of "discussion" between my wife and I! Oh and I am know signed up to shipito.com so Thanks Mate! If ever you are in Bris I will show you round the trails!