Tough Guy Extraordinaire

429c vs Jet 9 RDO

Have an chance for either of these two bikes nicely equipped for free! Yes!

I ride a lot of flowy and fast xc. Some of the trails I ride are pretty rocky and fast also. Either way I really like to jam on the bike instead of ride it.

Whichever bike I get, I intend to race a bunch in our regional series. I also have a Niner MCR that I may swap out for some smoother races.

What should I do?

mtbr member

429c vs Jet 9 RDO

Free!? Nice deal.

I'm in a similar spot in terms of selection (also waiting for the carbon SB95) and interested in hearing opinions on both.

ZEN RIDER!
    I've ridden both. Tuff decision. The 429 has a longer feeling top tube while the RDO has more of an upright feel to it. Very different feeling bikes in that regard.
    I will say every Pivot i've owned or rode all have had a unique feel as far as being centered & neutral and very stiff. The RDO even though it feels much different does have a very nice quality to the way you sit in between the wheels.
    If customer service & build quality is high on your list there is no comparison-Pivot is it.
    Both are capable bikes, but the 429 pedals better due to the dw link. I don't find fault with niners suspension, its just that the dw link work better, especially when you want to hammer uphill and over techy areas.
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    The Jet RDO has lots of great reviews and I've even spent a bit of time on one myself. I really liked it for it's overall ride. There are short travel bikes that pedal a bit faster on smooth terrain, but they also feel like @SS in the bumps. The Jet RDO is very fun in the bumps compared to most 4" bikes.

With my Jet RDO review in mind I took one good test ride on a 429c and committed to buying one right then. This will be my first bike with less than 5" of travel in 12 years. I'm a long travel style rider, but the combination of super fast climbing and very good descending pushed me to buy a 429c for this years Super D/Enduro season. I will be running mine with a 120mm fork. Not sure if it will be a 32mm or 34mm chassis.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott@GO-RIDE.com View Post
    The Jet RDO has lots of great reviews and I've even spent a bit of time on one myself. I really liked it for it's overall ride. There are short travel bikes that pedal a bit faster on smooth terrain, but they also feel like @SS in the bumps. The Jet RDO is very fun in the bumps compared to most 4" bikes.

With my Jet RDO review in mind I took one good test ride on a 429c and committed to buying one right then. This will be my first bike with less than 5" of travel in 12 years. I'm a long travel style rider, but the combination of super fast climbing and very good descending pushed me to buy a 429c for this years Super D/Enduro season. I will be running mine with a 120mm fork. Not sure if it will be a 32mm or 34mm chassis.
    Im in the same boat, would you go Float or Talas?
    I like to ride bikes fast.

mtbr member
    I'm planning on using a Float 120 CTD. I'll be using the bike for Enduro/Super D. If I was building a dedicated XC bike I might go with a Talas or a straight 100mm fork.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott@GO-RIDE.com View Post
    I'm planning on using a Float 120 CTD. I'll be using the bike for Enduro/Super D. If I was building a dedicated XC bike I might go with a Talas or a straight 100mm fork.
    34's only come in at 140mm, would you just reduce the travel to 120mm?

P.S. - Bike absolutely rips with a 60mm stem if you are going to ride it Enduro/Super D style. Thats how Im going to run mine. Im just really unsure if I should run a 32 or a 34 reduced down to 120-130mm travel for Enduro racing. The thing about the 429c is that its super stiff up front. Not sure if adding the 34 will be too stiff?
    I like to ride bikes fast.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    Update! I have a 429c on order. Looked pretty close a both, either seemed to be worthy. In the end the Pivot seemed a bit better. DW link seems like too good of a platform to pass by. Also, every 29" rider in my area has a niner or a c-dale, not many pivots around for sure!

Long Live the Gorn!
    Hey Gents
    I have been riding mine for about 6 weeks with the 120mm and have climbed some damned steep stuff no need for Talas IMHO and this coming from a Talas guy for 6 years.
    Still tinkering with stem length but a 70 on really fun, running a 90 right now checking out the diff
    BTW love this bike always say ruthlessly efficient, fast AND fun!
    Last edited by bvader; 03-05-2013 at 05:31 PM.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    So here is my ride report after two pretty decent rides on my 429.

Even before is started to get the suspension dialed in, I was blown away with how well this bike climbs. Totally unexpected! My first ride was in greasy conditions and I cleared several steep rocky climbs and step-ups that I typically have trouble with on my MCR.

After the suspension was a bit more dialed, it is nice. Still need to tweak the rebound a bit, bit it descends great and corners well. I was concerned about the cornering with a 120mm and the head angle. Very happy with this. Other bike I have had set like this have not always wanted to stay inside on the corners. So far the 429 seems like it wants to dive right in.

Also, decend with great confidence. The head angle and stiffness make it eat up the down hills at high speed. The weight lets me toss it around easy also. Can't wait until the conditions are a bit better here in he northeast and I can really light it up.

Only real complaint as of now...the clear coat on the green is a bit fragile. Two rides and it is all kinds of torn up. I even put protectors where I thought it would rub for sure, but there were plenty of other places that rubbed through the clear, green color and to the base. Not a huge deal, I plan on keeping it cover in mud. Just surprised how easy it was rubbed off.

mtbr member

429c vs Jet 9 RDO

I don't care how muddy it gets bid be pissed if I shelled out that much cash for a bike and it didn't hold up well. No excuse for poor finish on a high dollar bike.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    trumpus, I kind of agree with you. Curious to see if anyone else is having these issues or is it just me?