Long Live the Gorn!

429C Rear Shock Issue Resolved - Little Embarrassed

I thought I would take a moment to share my experience incase anyone else runs into this. This stems from a repeated strange issue where my rebound on the Fox CTD rear shock on the 429 would back off on rough descents

First I need to thank team bvader...Pivot, Fox and my local LBS .. The Path in OC big hearty thanks all the way around.

Daniel form Pivot thanks for stepping in just from a forum post and getting this started, Ed the Service Manager from FOX was a pleasure tpo work with. And of course Tani and team from the Path in OC, awesome as usual.

So now to the facts… which I am quite embarrassed to reveal.

When I got the Pivot back I set up the shock and took it out for a ride and it was glorious. Ed thanks so much for upgrading the internals to 2014 spec and doing the rebuild. After a few runs the shock felt fantastic. BUT then I looked down and the rebound had backed off a click. My Heart sank as this was the issue... the rebound backing off on tough descents...

But ... At that moment I knew something else was going on and in this strange “flash of facts” …small nicks on the down tube from the bottle, the demo bike having a really strong bottle cage… some nick in my bottle cap…OH Damn!... I figured it out.

In short my bottle was rattling and hitting the rebound knob because my cage is weak / etc and the triangle is a bit tight. I got quick confirmation of this when I stretch the cage a little and then bopped the bottle upwards... right into the rebound nob and clicked it backwards..."Face-to-Palm"

I rode several times with no bottle as hard as I could and the rebound stayed. Problem solved. I am getting a better / stronger cage and all will be well. In fact when I look back I think the bottle was banging on the knob which may have cause the first failure / damage.

Well in some way I lucked out I have a shock with new internals… thanks again, lucky me!

So … if you anyone of you see this again… I think it is work asking…”Are you using a bottle.”

Feeling a bit embarrassed but thankful...

What makes it a bit more painful is this was my second time around...and in am a pretty meticulous analytical guy

BTW not ONE of team bvader made me feel stupid, in fact Pivot said I can (as others) run the shock backwards to create more room there and the LBS said basically "thanks we see all sort of weird stuff, we'll add it to the list, Fox had a similar issue with the nobs getting caught on shorts ... .
    Last edited by bvader; 12-27-2013 at 06:19 PM.

dog
    sit! stay!
    folks at Pivot have always been above and beyond any reasonable expections... they always take the time to answer my annoying questions to to help me trouble shoot this thing or that.
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

Pivotal figure
    Oh wow, THAT is one thing I totally wouldn't have thought of! Just one of the thousands of strange stuff you find with bikes. Like the dude who chased down a creak on his bike for weeks only to find that one of his headset spacers was cracked....
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude