mtbr member
    Aug 2006

429C owners who considered Ripley but went with the Pivot?

Looking to get a new 29er. I road the Ripley with a 120 fork and really liked it. DW Link is awesome suspension. However, the Ripley did feel a little overwhelmed by some terrain - nothing terrible but I could sense some hesitation as it was going through rock gardens at speed. I would personally build it up with a Pike, maybe 140 but more likely 130.

What I am looking for is more of an AM 29er that climbs well. 429C and Ripley are on my short list at this point. For those of you who tried both what pushed you toward the 429C?

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I always had 26 inch bikes, I decided to enter the world of the 29'ers and bought the Ripley and the 429c...

I had both at the same time for several months. For me both are almost the same, 20 mm in the rear suspension not affected. The Ripley frame is somewhat lighter, the standover h. in the 429c is lower.

The performance is very similar, climbing, downhill, BUT the quality of the finishes in the 429c are much better , the route of the cables in Ripley should be better. I think DT Swiss rear axle is better over the RS maxle of Ripley.

The two bikes are very good for who likes the 29'ers, I prefer the fast, agile handling, a little less weight, a little jumps, changing lines, lifting the front wheel.... with neither felt comfortable.

That's my personal perception, obviously we all have different tastes.

After using both I realized that the 29'ers are not my thing, and put the two bikes for sale,few weeks ago sold the 429c and few days ago the Ripley ,I don't regret my decision , now I'll turn my Mach 5.7 c with 27.5 wheels and fork/shock and forget 29'ers.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I tested both, and liked the 429C better. It felt more stiffer and more stable on rougher terrain. The BB also seemed slightly higher (I was getting a few pedal strikes on the Ripley, not many on the 429), which is necessary where I ride since there are lots of rock gardens. Also, I was considering at a time when people were complaining about the ripley's cable routing and the cable issues in the headtube.

It basically came down to feel though - I liked the feel of the 429 better on the trails I ride.

mtbr member
    429c is laterally stiff and rides w authority, not whippy light and the large is properly long in the top tube. The 429c is perfect and has not needed any revisions due to bong hit engineering.. Also I demoed a med ripely for my wife one day and asked for a bottle cage, the shop put one in and I had to bend the thing outta the way so the suspension could cycle, this mixed with their bong hit cable routing is a def. show stopper. Agree w dt Swiss axles, maxles are no bueno. My only suggestion w the 429c is get a 51mm offset fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by freebiker View Post
    My only suggestion w the 429c is get a 51mm offset fork.
    Do you mind expanding on that?

I'm currently building up a 429c and will be temporarily using a marzoochi 44 micro ti that I had set aside for another build. The Pike Solo @ 120 is already available at 51mm but I was waiting/hoping for a 44-46 offset version.
    Last edited by willawry'd; 08-07-2014 at 07:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Well, more offset let's you push on the front end more on dh's. I noticed a substantial more ability to be able to weight the front end on DH's with the 51mm offsett. And the bike still climbs like a Mtn goat. There is a reason the xfusion trace is offered in only one offset. I only believed it after I tried it.