Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Arrrghhh!!!

429c carbon thread

Let's see more of 'em! Pics, reports, you name it! Who has one?
    The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it.
    William James

mtbr member
    Build weights with specifics would be interesting to see too especially the Shimano XT kit.

mtbr member
    can it fit 3x10 drive train?

Pivotal figure
    3x10 works fine
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    We just got a size run in at GO-RIDE.com. They look awesome. We ordered the black with blue accents to match the blue ano parts and the blue accents on the Fox suspension. I'll be building one for myself, but I'm still gathering a few parts. Here's a couple of phone pics.
    429c carbon thread-2013-02-11_18-54-01_888.jpg429c carbon thread-2013-02-11_18-54-26_613.jpg
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Scott - would love an actual frame weight for a Large. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scott@GO-RIDE.com View Post
    We just got a size run in at GO-RIDE.com. They look awesome. We ordered the black with blue accents to match the blue ano parts and the blue accents on the Fox suspension. I'll be building one for myself, but I'm still gathering a few parts. Here's a couple of phone pics.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-02-11_18-54-01_888.jpg 
Views:	1669 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	770998Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-02-11_18-54-26_613.jpg 
Views:	996 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	771000

mtbr member
    The large and medium are already built. The frames come with the headset cups and the bottom bracket installed. We didn't want to press them out to get a weight. I'm building a small for myself. I'll try to get a weight on that.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The large and medium are already built. The frames come with the headset cups and the bottom bracket installed. We didn't want to press them out to get a weight. I'm building a small for myself. I'll try to get a weight on that.
    Hi Scott, How tall are you?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'8". Last season for Enduro I raced a Yeti SB66 in Medium (24.1") ETT. I mostly used a 50mm stem. The 50mm was a bit short for true XC riding, but perfect for Enduro. Overall I prefer a 23.5" ETT bike with a 70mm stem for most riding and then a 50mm for more aggressive Enduro events. There are three reasons I'm going with a small on the 429c. 1. It has a 23.0" ETT on the small which I can run a 70mm and be good for XC or Enduro and a 50mm for aggressive races. 2. The seat tube on the Medium is too long for me to run some 5" dropper posts. 3. I like smaller wheelbase 29ers. I find the longer wheelbase of Medium 29ers to be less fun on jumps and tech trails.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm 5'8". Last season for Enduro I raced a Yeti SB66 in Medium (24.1") ETT. I mostly used a 50mm stem. The 50mm was a bit short for true XC riding, but perfect for Enduro. Overall I prefer a 23.5" ETT bike with a 70mm stem for most riding and then a 50mm for more aggressive Enduro events. There are three reasons I'm going with a small on the 429c. 1. It has a 23.0" ETT on the small which I can run a 70mm and be good for XC or Enduro and a 50mm for aggressive races. 2. The seat tube on the Medium is too long for me to run some 5" dropper posts. 3. I like smaller wheelbase 29ers. I find the longer wheelbase of Medium 29ers to be less fun on jumps and tech trails.

Excellent , very good info .
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Shop Owner
    Trigger Carbon 1
    Scalpel Ultimate
    Phoenix
    SuperX Hi Mod Disc
    Super6Evo Hi-mod Di2

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I was so focused on the bike, it took me a minute that there was a person behind it.

Long Live the Gorn!
    Serious Dude Night...

Loving Wife out of town...
    Sci Fi on the Panel...
    New Pivot 429c Semi Custom Build In the House...literally

429c carbon thread-img_0429_0329.jpg

At this point I am seriously enamored with this bike...unbelievably capable and balanced, ruthlessly efficient and *very* fun transition and air capable. Rode Palm Canyon and the bike performed flawlessly. Setting PRs left and right...

I have put ~100 Miles on it and changed out the 2x10 for a triple with a 22... more on that another time, but its the right choice for my riding habits.

Trail Build...5.10" Medium , 70mm Stem (may go 90x10) XTR / XT mix, triple, 240s w Stans Arch ~27lbs.
    Last edited by bvader; 02-15-2013 at 07:19 PM.

Old goat
    Aug 2009
    fwiw- build weights can be approximated on compxxx-cyclist dot com.
    curious to know what you pivot heads think about a 429c conversion to 650b. yeah, I know about the bbh/pedal strike potential. maybe I should ask the 650b forum folks, but you guys are closer to my fingers. so there. TIA

mtbr member
    small

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by c_rex View Post
    fwiw- build weights can be approximated on compxxx-cyclist dot com.
    curious to know what you pivot heads think about a 429c conversion to 650b. yeah, I know about the bbh/pedal strike potential. maybe I should ask the 650b forum folks, but you guys are closer to my fingers. so there. TIA
    I'm used to riding low bikes (many years racing DH) and use 170mm cranks. I've been having a few pedal strikes on my 429C in technical climbing areas with 2.35 tires. With the much small 27.5 you would be hitting your feet a lot unless you ran zero sag.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

Old goat
    Aug 2009
    You strike on your 29" with 170's?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I like to see some more pictures of size L.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    My medium red/black arrived back on Dec 12, 2012. In Australia we got the XT/XTR build instead of straight XT. Also the DT Swiss set up was switched out for Stans 330's and Arch Ex rims due to the supplier marketing those products.

Have switched out the std stem and bar for a -16 degree 90mm specialized stem I had lying around, and a 650mm alloy flat bar to get me into a better riding position, not a fan of wide bars...yet. Tires changed to ones more suitable for our trails, NobNic front and RaRa rear, also went tubeless.

Have also flipped the shock around and added some washers to the inner triangles cage to allow for a normal sized drink bottle to fit without rubbing on the frame. Also a normal sized bottle doesn't fit underneath the frame without interferring with the compression of the front forks.

Weight is 12.41kg.

was fast
    Jan 2011

Large XTR Lefty carbon

Just picked it up from LBS after swapping out my old frame.
    23.8 lbs as shown for a large. No flexy weight weenie parts.
    Loved my 2011 alu 429 but couldn't resist the 1lb weight savings, additional rigidity and slightly quicker handling of the 429c. 2011 large 429 (alu) frame is for sale BTW

First ride tomorrow morning. Woot.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 429c carbon thread-pivot_429_carbon_large.jpg  

Arrrghhh!!!
    [QUOTE=Emilio700;10223744]Just picked it up from LBS after swapping out my old frame.
    23.8 lbs as shown for a large. No flexy weight weenie parts.
    Loved my 2011 alu 429 but couldn't resist the 1lb weight savings, additional rigidity and slightly quicker handling of the 429c. 2011 large 429 (alu) frame is for sale BTW

First ride tomorrow morning. Woot.

Beauty! Looking forward to the ride report. A couple of questions: which lefty are you using, and what is the final a2c once if you made any mods? Also, what is that mount on the top tube?

Cheers!
    The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it.
    William James

was fast
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by insighter View Post

Beauty! Looking forward to the ride report. A couple of questions: which lefty are you using, and what is the final a2c once if you made any mods? Also, what is that mount on the top tube?

Cheers!
    Thanks. 120mm 2011 Lefty carbon with 100mm internal travel limiter from Project 321. Hammer gel flask holder on top tube. Riding in two hours

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Emilio700 View Post
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

was fast
    Jan 2011

First ride 2013 Large Pivot 429C impressions

26.4mi, 3577 gain'. Jeep trail and singletrack, damp hard pack, lots of embedded rocks. Ran 12mm of sag, otherwise exact same setup as 2011 429 alu that we just switched from.

I've done lots of bicycle and automotive R&D so try to go in not thinking about the bike. Just ride and let things surprise me. Overall, the bike is incrementally improved in several areas. No huge differences.

Handling
    It was hard to notice the shorter chainstays. I could feel it was a little easier to manual over rocks when descending. More noticeable when pumping tight radius bermed turns. Part of this better tight radius handling was the lower BB. Stability was stellar with the alu frame so the carbon didn't have much to gain. Felt like it tracked a little better during forceful direction changes at speed. Definitely stiffer torsionally but not night and day. Most of the torsional stiffness gains seem to be in the back, despite the tapered HT and general beefiness up front. Maybe I imagined that

Shock performance
    Probably the biggest difference between the 2011 alu 429 was the new CTD shock. Climb - Trail - Descend. Riding it, you can tell the low speed compression damping increases as you click towards climb but it's the high speed compression damping difference that stood out. The 2011 bike would kick a bit when smacking 2-3" embedded rocks at high speed. The CTD on "D" soaks them up almost completely. Big gains there. What was a surprise to me was how well it climbed in D. The softer low speed compression allowed it to react quickly to little embedded rocks while climbing seated at low speeds (4-8mph). The only time I really wanted the Trail or Climb damping preset was on the paved ride to the trail head or if I had a long out of the saddle climb on smooth fire road. IOW, I ran D setting for pretty much the whole ride. What was also nice about the D setting was it's better absorption of those 2-4" ledges when you have to deliver a brief 500w burst and trials/crawl over stuff. If you have ever climbed on a triple chainring 6" bike you know what I'm talking about. Get a little momentum and the stuff that stops most short travel XC bikes doesn't phase the 429C with the shock on D, almost like 6" bike.

Shifting
    I didn't touch the drivetrain after the shop gave it to me. The old frame had the special Pivot e-type FD mount. The 429C uses a direct mount FD. It wouldn't shift to the big ring under full power, half power or less was fine. Nit picking I know but the old frame would do it at 400w+. I'm gonna guess it just needs some adjustment and won't proclaim that as endemic. I also got a few derailleur slaps in the smaller half of the cassette, which I didn't get with the old bike. XTR shadow long cage. Once again, I'm going to guess it just needs a little adjustment love.

Fit
    Within seconds of rolling out I noticed the lower BB. Well, I should say that the bars felt high. I wondered what the shop did then the lightbulb went off. They matched my old BB to seat measurement (very good shop) but the new BB is a few mm lower. Suprised it was so noticeable but I definitely like it. Others here mentioned catching pedals but I never did. To quantify that, I run 180's Egg Beaters and pretty much pedal through everything.

Climbing
    Again, the old bike was awesome so not a ton of room for improvement. I did notice the rear tracked better when seated powering over rough stuff in a low gears. I put that down to the new rear end and 142mm through axle. I didn't expect that so it was a pleasant surprise. The next I'll say is that it just seemed to be a few watts more efficient in every climbing scenario. More than the some of it's parts in this case. Definitely goes up hill and pedals just a wee bit better and I'm not I fully understand why. Don't care either, just reporting the impression.

Would I do it again? You bet. Besides, more carbon is always better.

Dirty Bike

change is good
    Sep 2004
    sighhhhhh

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast