Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 215
  1. #176
    Long Live the Gorn!
    Reputation: bvader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by GT5050 View Post
    Does anyone out there run a 100mm fork on their 429C? Is it viable or will it throw the handling off? I am seriously considering carrying over some pretty nice parts to a 429C frame, but among those parts is a 100mm Fox Float Kashima fork. My riding is 'trail' I guess but I do some XC racing. I do enjoy a fun bike though that is beyond just pure XC. If the 100 fork isn't a good idea, I suppose I can always sell it and get a 120.
    If your riding "Trail" put the 120 on it...its really nice if you ride some rocks and rough.. I have not ever had the 100 on mine so maybe I am missing something... but I can track my buddies through the twisties... just fine.

  2. #177
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    44

    Re: 429c carbon thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bvader View Post
    If your riding "Trail" put the 120 on it...its really nice if you ride some rocks and rough.. I have not ever had the 100 on mine so maybe I am missing something... but I can track my buddies through the twisties... just fine.
    I agree, only situation where a 100mm fork could be better is a steep technical climb, where getting the front end lower would be slightly advantageous...

  3. #178
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by GT5050 View Post
    Does anyone out there run a 100mm fork on their 429C? Is it viable or will it throw the handling off? I am seriously considering carrying over some pretty nice parts to a 429C frame, but among those parts is a 100mm Fox Float Kashima fork. My riding is 'trail' I guess but I do some XC racing. I do enjoy a fun bike though that is beyond just pure XC. If the 100 fork isn't a good idea, I suppose I can always sell it and get a 120.
    I had a 120 on mine for the first year. The bike never felt right to me. I was going to sell it and tried a 100mm SID. The bike came alive. Handled way better. The only thing I lost was a little stability on big downhills with lots of roots or rocks. But its minimal. If you are more comfortable on an XC bike the 100 is the way to go.

    If I lived out west I would probably not go 100mm or even the 429 for that matter. The bike was originally designed around the 100. That is my take.

  4. #179
    Long Live the Gorn!
    Reputation: bvader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    147
    Well there you have it ... its definitely either a 120 or 100

  5. #180
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    383
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm safe starting with either one, when I do build up a frame it'll depend on whether I still have the 100 fork or if I'll have sold it and bought a 120. From what I've seen the HA with a 100 would be 70.3, which is not slack but not as steep as my existing bikes. From what I'm seeing in my research, it seems a 100 is viable it would just gove the bike a more pure XC characteristic.

  6. #181
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    478
    Go with the Pike fork set at 120mm, this frame needs a stiff fork. The Pike right now is the best fork on the market and will provide the stiffness this frame deserves.

  7. #182
    make mine a nine
    Reputation: abevern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    60

    429c carbon thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    Go with the Pike fork set at 120mm, this frame needs a stiff fork. The Pike right now is the best fork on the market and will provide the stiffness this frame deserves.
    +1 Pike
    I built mine up on the weekend and was super impressed with the fork. Noticeably stiffer than a Fox 32/15QR and only 50gm heavier on the same scale.

  8. #183
    change is good
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,749
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    Go with the Pike fork set at 120mm, this frame needs a stiff fork. The Pike right now is the best fork on the market and will provide the stiffness this frame deserves.
    SuperMax with carbon wheels. A clydale's dream come true.

  9. #184
    11 is one louder than 10
    Reputation: Green Giant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,356
    Quote Originally Posted by GT5050 View Post
    Does anyone out there run a 100mm fork on their 429C? Is it viable or will it throw the handling off? I am seriously considering carrying over some pretty nice parts to a 429C frame, but among those parts is a 100mm Fox Float Kashima fork. My riding is 'trail' I guess but I do some XC racing. I do enjoy a fun bike though that is beyond just pure XC. If the 100 fork isn't a good idea, I suppose I can always sell it and get a 120.
    I've run a Fox 32 29er std offset at 110 and 120mm.

    I've tended to like quicker handling bikes in the past, but to be honest I think I prefer the 429c at 120 actually. I wouldn't want to go longer (which is why I haven't done a pike at 120 yet... I think I would drop it to 110 to get the same crown - axle).

    But, if I could add stiffness to the front end - I would.

    The fork that interests me is the x-fusion trace, but set at 110mm possibly. Not sure how that 51mm offset would affect the bike. It's so dialed now, tough for me to justify a change (other than every single fox fork I own gets a creaky crown... and it always comes back after getting it replaced even).
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

  10. #185
    Arrrghhh!!!
    Reputation: insighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Giant View Post
    I've run a Fox 32 29er std offset at 110 and 120mm.

    I've tended to like quicker handling bikes in the past, but to be honest I think I prefer the 429c at 120 actually. I wouldn't want to go longer (which is why I haven't done a pike at 120 yet... I think I would drop it to 110 to get the same crown - axle).

    But, if I could add stiffness to the front end - I would.

    The fork that interests me is the x-fusion trace, but set at 110mm possibly. Not sure how that 51mm offset would affect the bike. It's so dialed now, tough for me to justify a change (other than every single fox fork I own gets a creaky crown... and it always comes back after getting it replaced even).
    What is the a2c of the fox at 120? I've got a Trace and love it, by the way.
    The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it.
    William James

  11. #186
    make mine a nine
    Reputation: abevern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    60

    ... and if we just ... First Ride Pic

    Finally got the frame last week after a nearly 2 month wait. Promptly built it up over the weekend and took it for a ride. Used a mix of new and used parts from my old bike.

    Result as follows:

    • 429c in XL
    • Pike 120mm
    • 35mm LB Carbon rims on Hope Evo hubs
    • KS LEV 150mm dropper post
    • 3T Extendo Ltd carbon bars
    • Funn 60mm stem
    • XT drivetrain and brakes.



    Initial urban ride impressions are of super-direct and responsive feel in every direction. Pike fork is super plush and stiff in ways that I didn't even know my Fox 32s were flexy. Bike is super easy to wheelie and feels really balanced.

    If the weather holds out, first trail ride is tomorrow.

    429c carbon thread-img_2783_sepia_cropped.jpg

  12. #187
    mtbr member
    Reputation: clarkrw3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    472
    Any weight on your setup @abevern??

  13. #188
    make mine a nine
    Reputation: abevern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    60

    429c carbon thread

    Quote Originally Posted by clarkrw3 View Post
    Any weight on your setup ??
    According to digital bathroom scales 13.0kg +/- 0.1kg with a light coating of dust. That's about 28.7lbs in old money.

    Tyres are tubeless with 2 scoops of Stan's in each.
    Last edited by abevern; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:55 PM.

  14. #189
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    358
    Any news on an update to the 429c colors and graphics? Seems like it should be time for a change.

    Thanks
    Tahoe29er

  15. #190
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    478
    No new color's in the works as per Pivot!!

    Abevern, how do like the Pike compared to the Fox 32?

  16. #191
    make mine a nine
    Reputation: abevern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    60

    429c carbon thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    how do you like the Pike compared to the Fox 32?
    Trail time is a little limited due to seriously inclement weather but have spent a couple of hours on rough trail in addition to the initial urban ride.

    Overall impressions are that the fork absolutely suits the bike. It's like they were designed together. I haven't changed the token count - so it's very linear and has good balance with the rear shock character.

    Definitely responds to trail chatter better than either of my Fox forks (both F29 factory kashima coated w/ SKF seals and regularly serviced) and feel much less harsh on bigger hits (small drops/ fast rocks). In fact the Pikes don't feel harsh at all - I have yet to bottom them, though regularly using 80+% travel. They feel as bottomless as 120mm is ever going to feel, I think.

    As mentioned elsewhere my Pike was 50g heavier than my 100mm F29 Fox (2014 steerer/2011 lowers + internals).

    If performance doesn't degrade, and regular servicing doesn't show up endemic wear issues I think choosing a Pike is a no brainer.

    (Note that I have not had a Fox on this bike, only on my previous FS trail bike)

  17. #192
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    478
    That is great to here, because I just ordered the Pike today. My shop will reduce to 120mm, I'm hoping not to feel the extra weight compared to the Fox 120mm CTD Float. My shop also say's the Pike is the perfect fork for the 429c, I can't wait. Thanks for the info!!

  18. #193
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    478
    Did you go with the 46 offset, I was going to go 51mm but went with the 46 since the bike is speced that way.

  19. #194
    make mine a nine
    Reputation: abevern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    60

    429c carbon thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    Did you go with the 46 offset, I was going to go 51mm but went with the 46 since the bike is speced that way.
    Yes, standard 46mm offset. I look forward to your impressions, I think you'll love it.

    Probably worth having a look in the 2014 Pike thread for setup info. My reading was run minimal tokens to keep linear response. Run less rebound and compression than you would on a Fox. Try less sag - around 20%. I'm currently around 5 clicks in from fast rebound and 2 clicks on compression. It's early days, but works very well so far.

  20. #195
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    478
    This is a pict of the 429c with the Fox 120mm Float CTD 2014 with 2015 dampener, seals and Gold oil. Anyone with the Fox fork this is noticeable upgrade, fork is smoother than previous. Fox sent the parts to my local shop for free along with a new upper because of the creaking that plagues the Fox. When I called and talked to Ed at Fox, I told him about the creak and how I was not happy with the suppleness of fork. Ed is the Man at Fox, great customer service. Will post a pict of Pike soon!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 429c carbon thread-p1060598.jpg  


  21. #196
    mtbr member
    Reputation: engrmariano's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    158

    replace shock with trail adjust

    hi m429c users, is it only me? i find the "climb" of the CTD shock still not firm enough for egressive climbing...

    my buddies (using other bikes) with CTD shock "w/ trail adjust" version are really firm when switched to "climb"...

    i'm thinking of replacing my shock with the "w/ trail adjust" version. or any suggestion...
    429c carbon thread-6175lyuqecl._sl1500_.jpg
    PIVOT

  22. #197
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    5
    Hi guys.. new member from Australia here..

    I have a M429C and just scored a RS reverb stealth seatpost for a silly cheap price. However our frames seem to not be ideal for internal routing...

    Just wondering if anyone has modified their frame to accept internal routing of a dropper post?

    I'll never be refitting a front derailleur so not worried about removing the cable outer stops..

  23. #198
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by engrmariano View Post
    hi m429c users, is it only me? i find the "climb" of the CTD shock still not firm enough for egressive climbing...

    my buddies (using other bikes) with CTD shock "w/ trail adjust" version are really firm when switched to "climb"...

    i'm thinking of replacing my shock with the "w/ trail adjust" version. or any suggestion...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6175LYUQecL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	920154
    I found the same also.. I am about 95kg and always want some more lock when climbing longer hills...

    The M429C framesets always come with a light tune on the shock, due to the design of the DW link and it's properties.

    Best option if you want more platform is to have your shock retuned to suit your needs

  24. #199
    Long Live the Gorn!
    Reputation: bvader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    147
    Trail adjust only affects trail setting BUT if you have a 2013 that may be the problem they revolved / tuned for 2014 and beyond more platform... Climb seems firm too... Fox can upgrade internals for reasonable $

  25. #200
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    5

    Re: 429c carbon thread

    Quote Originally Posted by kyl3 View Post
    Hi guys.. new member from Australia here..

    I have a M429C and just scored a RS reverb stealth seatpost for a silly cheap price. However our frames seem to not be ideal for internal routing...

    Just wondering if anyone has modified their frame to accept internal routing of a dropper post?

    I'll never be refitting a front derailleur so not worried about removing the cable outer stops..
    Never mind.. I worked it out. Wasn't ideal but got there!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •