Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by freebiker View Post
    Xfusion trace is a much looked over excellent alternative to the pike.
    How about the 51mm offset of the Trace? What does it do to the handling of the bike? Been dreaming of a Trace for a while but the offset makes me hesitate.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The 51mm offset is what Trek used on there bikes, it will make steering feel quicker. Make the bike a bit more nimble. The change from 46mm offset will be suttle and work just fine, it increases trail which is a good thing!!

mtbr member
    Bike rides much better on dhs. More stable. You can get over the front end and rip. I only noticed(barely,slight,minimal) the negative side of climbing Wobble wheel in the first few minutes after the fork change.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Wink

First the BAD news: The X-fusion Trace actually costs more than the PIKE around here, I like the thought of easy internal travel adjust though.

The GOOD news: The PIKE can be had with both offsets, think I would still choose what the manufacturer recommends, that is 46mm@120mm

The BEST news: Bought a used 429 carbon frame today from a friend who wants an SL, its the team green. Could have had a complete carbon/red bike with xx1, carbon hoops etc. for less than my build up will be with same components but this time I made a subjective decision This way, it feels better to upgrade to an SL in the future, shedding a pound of weight instead of half a pound!

The remaining question is, what to do with my "carbon" Specialized Camber now? Maybe I'll keep it and experiment a bit with it, just because its pretty

Dual Squishy...
    Quote Originally Posted by vcyclist View Post
    So they dropped the regular Mach429c, so how much more $$$ is this bike going to cost us now compared to the former? Also still no Fox 34 fork or Pike option on the build kits.
    The better question would be, will the new SL be the same price and we could expect to see retailers drop the prices of the 429c frames and bikes in stock to make room for the new hotness.

Personally I would be all over a cheaper 429c. That's how I landed my 5.7c...

mtbr member
    Well some other news. If you call the mnfgr you might find out that many, including some of their top riders/racers are running a 51 offset.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    In a few more years 51mm offset will be the norm on 29er, more and more bike company's are specing it out as the stock fork.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnut22 View Post
    The better question would be, will the new SL be the same price and we could expect to see retailers drop the prices of the 429c frames and bikes in stock to make room for the new hotness.

Personally I would be all over a cheaper 429c. That's how I landed my 5.7c...
    It will be 2999 for the frame, I believe, so a bit more expensive than the current MSRP.

mtbr member
    Fwiw. I'll never give up my team green pivot. No way. Luv it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Has anyone got the new frame yet, any picts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    Has anyone got the new frame yet, any picts?
    No but I have looked at the detailed pictures on their website and have some concerns with the revised cable routing. I can't believe they chose to route the rear brake hose through the down tube. This will mean you have to remove your caliper and do a re-bleed when you install or switch out your rear brake.

I frankly don't understand the logic. In the case of a rear brake you are looking at about 55"-60" of hose where maybe 15" will be enclosed in the down-tube. So you have to go through all that to conceal 15" of tubing? Not smart. The rear brake hose routing was much better on the previous design.

As for the RD cable rout, I don't see much improvement there either. If I had a choice between the seat stay route (prior design) and the revised route that goes under the bottom bracket, I would choose the former.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I just checked one out in person, I love the new look. The much cleaner cable routing is a + to me. I never liked the cables around the shock area and that you had external cable for dropper post. The rear brake is fine with me, Shimano brakes with mineral oil are the way to go very easy to bleed. The bike is very light compared to my green medium, the new bike will be a pound lighter if you have the green now. Green paint about 1/2 pound and new frame 1/2 pound lighter.
    With the Pike fork and some carbon wheels and dropper post, will be killer!! I would also go with larger frame, so shorter stem like 50 or 60 with wider bars can be utilized. I like to in the bike not on top! I don't like the way Pivot sets their bikes up with such long stems in picts, looks hideous!! In person the bike looks so much better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Built one up yesterday together with my friend, he got the first that came to our country and I finally got his old frame. He got the carbon/yellow frame, we built it up with RS-1, Enve 60/40 wheels and XX1 drivetrain. Looked a lot better live than in pictures, the wheels were the jewel in the crown. And I AM sorry, did not take a picture of it. Also saw the Stealth frame, I think the carbon/green looked better.

One negative about the new frame, internal routing of the rearbrake is never a good thing - but overall better cable routing than before. Its a pain in the ass to bleed the brake if (when!) you need to install or change it.

Oh, and so I totally don't disappoint you: We weighed about 5 frames. All were in the range of 2470-2510g with only frame and shock (without headset cups, rear-axle, seatpost collar and bb). The "old" I got was about 370g heavier in team green.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    #picsoritneverhappened

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    It actually happened.. He's still waiting on the frontwheel with the proprietary hub though: Mach 429 SL Carbon/Green

Will look a lot beefier with the Enve in front too. You can find it on Facebook, Team Skins Finland

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The is freaking nice looking!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Is it green or yellow?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Sex... Just sex.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Is it green or yellow?
    Says green on the pivot homepage but in my opinion it was more yellow. Anyway, as long at it looks great it doesn't matter what we call it !

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    How wide are the wheels on this 2015 Pivot Mach 429sl?

Very cool looking bike.
    Tahoe29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    You mean on this specific bike behind that link? Those Enves are 23mm internal, 29mm external. The temporary Roval in front is 22mm internal, 27mm external.

Long Live the Gorn!
    I am still curious about the RS-1 ... my lowers are constantly getting scratched dinged so not sure how that is not going to happen. I ride in a lot of rock in SoCal / AZ etc. Will be curious to here a 90 day report... yup... dang my ol 429... is looking a bit plain

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The green/anti-freeze hubs, Onyx Racing Hubs would looks so good with that color Pivot with big Derby rims!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 429c carbon thread-p1060802.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Lets us know how the SL compares to the 429C, does bike feel more nimble?

mtbr member

team green

I just adore the team green, It is electrifying when riding in the woods. its a relic now, will have to keep it.
    Quote Originally Posted by brian jra View Post

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Wondering what height/inseam you guys riding the 429c are. I am about to order a frame and can't decide between L and XL
    No dealers anywhere near me to test.
    my height is 6'2.5" in socks and inseam measurement to sit bones is 36"

I always seem to end up on XL frames for comfort but it sounds like these frames run large so any insight from those who may have had to face this question would be a great help.

Should add that I will be wanting to make sure the bars are at or above the seat for comfort as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    You will need an XL !!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PEIGUY View Post
    Wondering what height/inseam you guys riding the 429c are. I am about to order a frame and can't decide between L and XL
    No dealers anywhere near me to test.
    my height is 6'2.5" in socks and inseam measurement to sit bones is 36"

I always seem to end up on XL frames for comfort but it sounds like these frames run large so any insight from those who may have had to face this question would be a great help.

Should add that I will be wanting to make sure the bars are at or above the seat for comfort as well.
    It all depends on your preferred riding position. I run a L sized 429 C with 85 cm stem slammed and I'm a bit taller than you.

In an optimal world I would prefer a bit more on the reach/TT- section so I would be able to ride with a shorter stem but XL 429 C is way too big for my taste as I don't like the XC-lying-on-the-bars- type riding position and also I want to have bars as low as possible.

Then again if you prefer that bars should be pretty high then XL could be your choice since the head tube on the XL is quite tall...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I getting the large 429sl and I'm 5'10. I have 31" inseam, but have long torso and arms. I will probably go 50-60mm stem. Right now I have med. 429c with 90mm stem, 740 bars. I think the large with short stem, will be the way to go for me. Low seat height so I will be in the bike with the Pike fork at 120mm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Looking/considering a 429c
    Having in 20 plus yrs of riding never owned FS I want to make a decent choice.

Reason for not going FS thus far has been the added maintenance since I ride 5-7 days a week and their extra weight. I also have an insane issue with noisy bikes and every FS I've been around creaks constantly!

Not worried much about weight now but am I justified about maintenance and creaking pivots?
    Should I just go with a carbon HT like the LES?

change is good
    Sep 2004

429c carbon thread

I'm 250lbs and mine is quiet. If you live and ride in a four season environment bearings need replacement about once a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I live in four season climate, I have never had a single problem with noise or bearings. I ride 4 days/week even during winter. I do rotate the bearings with a drill since the bearings never really get rotated on their own about every 6 months. All my bearings are in great shape. I think Pivot makes one of the quietest FS bikes out there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I live in a 2 season climate... Dusty and really dusty. Never had any issues with 'modern' FS pivots creaking. You do need to keep them clean and greased tho...

Most of my creaks come from the drivetrain and IMO a FS bike is harder on drivetrain b/c of chain growth and due to it being FS they tend to get ridden harder.

Really depends on the terrain you ride. If a hard tail is sufficient then you can save some coin. HT will always require less maintenance. However, a FS is much more fun to ride and will improve your technical prowess.

You down with entropy?
    the creaks on my AL 429 were never the pivots.
    the derailleur hanger, the rear skewer, the seatpost and a pedal yes all those at various times, but not the pivots.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

New family member

Built this up as I finally got the wheels. Waited 2 months for them... Anyway, the wheel decals will change as I will get the ones I ACTUALLY ordered. And when I decide on bar width/rise/bend I'll order one in carbon.

Fork: RS Reba 120mm
    Wheels: NOX Skyline 29
    Brakes: Guide R with Shimano Ice-tech rotors @160mm
    Shifter& Rear der.: Shimano XTR M9000
    Cassette: SRAM X01
    Cranks: SRAM XX1
    Chain: SRAM X1
    Seatpost: Rotor SP-1 (-> LEV on order)
    Saddle: WTB Devo Carbon
    Handlebar: Ritchey Trail 2x 740mm (great for experimenting)
    Stem: RaceFace Ride 60mm
    Front tyre: Specialized Ground Control 2,3" (707g)
    Rear tyre: Specialized Fast Trak Ctrl 2,2" (668g)

429c carbon thread-pivot-mach-429c.jpg
    Weight with pedals: 11.2kg (24.9lbs)
    in the build pictured (incl. pedals). I call this build "The best of both worlds". Whether it be Shimano&SRAM or Pivot&Specialized, you decide FYI, I also own a Specialized, which I may keep for experimenting with. Didn't cut rear brake hose yet as I may swap brakes for SLX's from another bike if these are not up to the task.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    After yesterdays ride as I finally got to know the bike a bit better I can say three things:

-Will keep the Guide brakes AND Shimano rotors (160mm Shimano Ice-Tech gives better power than 180mm SRAM Centerline, strange....)

-The Descend mode on the shock is NOT good for descending, blows through the travel too easily, its better suited for slow speed trail-riding. The Trail-setting gives a lot more support (and speed) on fast and rough sections. (they've noticed this themselves as they erased the CTD nomenclature on the new DPS shock)

-This is the closest I've gotten to the superbike of my dreams, 10mm more travel in both ends and 68.5 degree angle up front while keeping the same BB height and reach and I would be there.

So please Pivot, release the 429 EVO! If I just put a 120-130mm PIKE on this it will mess up the BB height and shorten the reach which would make it great on downhills but would be awkward in other situations. Anyone have an angleset on their 429c? that would compensate for a bit longer fork... And the stack height would be quite the same as with Pivots headset.
    Last edited by _tarzan; 04-10-2015 at 05:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Summer is almost here, at least its already as dry as on summer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rks6rW542vI

All bike, all the time
    Nice build... I'm at 25.5 but with dropper post. I've got lighter tires tho so you may have me beat in any case.
    Quote Originally Posted by _tarzan View Post
    Built this up as I finally got the wheels. Waited 2 months for them... Anyway, the wheel decals will change as I will get the ones I ACTUALLY ordered. And when I decide on bar width/rise/bend I'll order one in carbon.

Fork: RS Reba 120mm
    Wheels: NOX Skyline 29
    Brakes: Guide R with Shimano Ice-tech rotors @160mm
    Shifter& Rear der.: Shimano XTR M9000
    Cassette: SRAM X01
    Cranks: SRAM XX1
    Chain: SRAM X1
    Seatpost: Rotor SP-1 (-> LEV on order)
    Saddle: WTB Devo Carbon
    Handlebar: Ritchey Trail 2x 740mm (great for experimenting)
    Stem: RaceFace Ride 60mm
    Front tyre: Specialized Ground Control 2,3" (707g)
    Rear tyre: Specialized Fast Trak Ctrl 2,2" (668g)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pivot Mach 429c.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	286.0 KB 
ID:	979763
    Weight with pedals: 11.2kg (24.9lbs)
    in the build pictured (incl. pedals). I call this build "The best of both worlds". Whether it be Shimano&SRAM or Pivot&Specialized, you decide FYI, I also own a Specialized, which I may keep for experimenting with. Didn't cut rear brake hose yet as I may swap brakes for SLX's from another bike if these are not up to the task.
    All bike, all the time

All bike, all the time
    And another !
    You will need an XL !!
    All bike, all the time

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

My new used bike.

2014 Pivot 429C Team Green 120mm Fox Factory Fork CTD
    Full Shimano XT build, XTR Rear Derailleur with One up RADR Cage
    Shimano XT Crank 1X10 with Wolftooth 30T and a 42T Giant Cog
    Shimano XT pedals
    Rockshox Reverb Dropper post
    DT Swiss 350 hubs W/ competition straight pull spokes and lightbicycle carbon rims 30mm wide.
    Race Face Atlas 50mm Stem
    Easton Havoc Carbon 750mm w/Esi chunk grips
    Maxxis Ardent 2.25 front and rear

I love this bike. I came from a Pivot mach 5.7X0 aluminum. This bike feels like it was made for me. For some strange reason I'm able to ride the 429C harder than the 5.7 though its 50mm less travel.

I tore this bike apart when I bought it used 1 month ago. I cleaned out all the bearings and packed them with grease. Cleaned, greased and torqued all pivots and components to their recommended torques. Flushed out the brakes. I even took the jockey wheels off the derailleur and packed those too. The fork and shock got new seals and oil as well. It feels like a new bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 429c carbon thread-dsc_0813.jpg  

429c carbon thread-dsc_0803.jpg  

429c carbon thread-dsc_0811.jpg  

429c carbon thread-dsc_0806.jpg  

429c carbon thread-dsc_0808.jpg  

429c carbon thread-dsc_0809.jpg  

mtbr member
    i think it's well known that early versions of M429c's shock is clumsy, there's almost no or really have no difference between the 3 CTD settings. (mine is early 2013)

since my shock is due for servicing after more than 2years, i include that issue on the service form. after 9 working days, i got my shock again & they wrote what they've done.
    *replaced inter & external BV (i think it should be Boost Valve)
    *rebuilt the seals
    *oil

and now, i can really feel the difference in each CT&D and even the 3 Trail adjust settings.

i paid $140 singapore (~$100 us)...429c carbon thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1431959757.422934.jpg
    PIVOT

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    guys, how much of a difference does that 1/2 lb make on the 429c vs the 429sl? I can save some serious cash if I go for the older frame?

mtbr member
    Dude it's a half pound, that's the difference. What do you value more cash or weight? I would say though that the sl probably has better resale value.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Adim_X View Post
    Dude it's a half pound, that's the difference. What do you value more cash or weight? I would say though that the sl probably has better resale value.
    I have had both the 429c and now the 429sl, they ride the same. 1/2 pound is a 1/2 pound though. The SL also looks better and has better/cleaner cable routing. They say it's also stiffer than the C while making it lighter. Either way your getting a great bike, I can not believe how many people around me are buying Pivot bike now. The 429 can do it all!!

11 is one louder than 10
    If I were doing Di2 then I would do the SL. Otherwise, the standard 429c is the way to go. Plus.. green is fastest.

Would rather save 1/2 lb on wheels over a frame anyday of the week anyways.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456