Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Well, I can assure you I'm running a 22t on my xt cranks, it worked with both the 2x setup and now the 3x with bash ring. The small xt chainring is standard, it has no ramps or anything but technically they don't make a 22t for the drivetrain so I bought one from REI that was from an older model year drivetrain. I think the issue you may run into if you want the shimano rings with the ramps is that they don't make many sizes, I believe the 3 ring setup uses a 24-32-42 and the dual ring setup uses 24-38. I don't believe the XT crankset uses any sort of odd spacing or unique things so you could probably use any chainrings if you forego the ramped shimano ones.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Sure thing, I think most all mtb people want their comrades to enjoy the sport and get the right bike for themselves. If you're coming off a hard tail I think you'll love something full suspension if you have bumpy trails, conversely it makes me laugh because all the guys I ride with have had full suss for years and they keep saying their next bike may be a lightweight hard tail. I guess there is something to be said for change. I too felt I was outgrowing my old bike, not only did ripping down rocky trails rattle my eyeballs so much I couldn't focus (literally true) but every time I went out I was breaking spokes, my custom built titanium spoked wheels were literally falling apart. One thing to note if you demo bikes, especially full suspension ones is that setup can make all the difference in the world! Something as minor as 3 psi different tire pressure can make a bike ride so much better or worse it really pays to note how things are setup. After following the recommendations on shock and tire pressures for my weight I wound up setting things up for someone who weighs about 50 lbs less than I do. I'm around 200lbs but I run shock pressures of 75 front and about 160 rear and my tires pressures are 19psi front 25psi rear using large volume tires and 35mm wide rims. Everyone who's ridden my bike (we trade usually for the day) loved it and thought it rode like a cadillac which I think can be attributed as much to my setup as the bike itself. Even lowering my handlebars by one spacer made a huge difference in steering. Just something to keep in mind when you demo different bikes, if I had to do it again I'd make sure I had a pressure gauge, tire pump and shock pump all in my bike bag so I could play with those things on the trail. There's a video of the bike I demo'd on my youtube channel as well as some other vids shot on my old hard tail bike.

robwas - YouTube

happy riding,

Rob

B3ginr
    Sep 2013

Cool-blue Rhythm

Couldn't decide on a carbon wheel set so it's the Mavic SLR 29's for now. SRAM XX-1 with Magura MT-8s. It's only a week old so I'm still adjusting to it but it's fantastic so far!

Suggestions on carbon a wheel set?

Name:  IMG_2949.jpg
Views: 1508
Size:  234.5 KB
    Great Success REQUIRES Great Effort!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbloodworth View Post
    Suggestions on carbon a wheel set?Name:  IMG_2949.jpg
    Bravo on your new steed, and taking your time building it up. And for recognizing how much impact a wheel upgrade will have on your bike.

Numerous choices and more coming no doubt...what/how you ride, and budget will guide you.

I have the Enve AMs on my 429c. Partly for bikepacking, but meanwhile, it makes a great trail rim. Made in USA is cool, but we pay for it obviously. If I had to do it again today I would look at Derby and Light Bicycle along with Enve. I would not shy away from a great deal on Speci Roval Carbons (with DTS internals), unless I was hell bent on a trail-ish build. Easton Haven got a bad rap for failing hubs; I'm sure they changed things up.

For sheer price point you probably can't beat LB. They have a new optional wider rim, not advertised on their site AFAIK. You could have them build with Hope (or your supplied) hubs or just get the hoops.

You'll be blown away, I'm sure. I was completely blown by the ride coming from alloy rims on a 429a. Completely different. Cheers!

B3ginr
    Sep 2013

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    Bravo on your new steed, and taking your time building it up. And for recognizing how much impact a wheel upgrade will have on your bike.

I have the Enve AMs on my 429c. Partly for bike packing, but meanwhile, it makes a great trail rim. Made in USA is cool, but we pay for it obviously. If I had to do it again today I would look at Derby and Light Bicycle along with Enve. I would not shy away from a great deal on Speci Roval Carbons (with DTS internals), unless I was hell bent on a trail-ish build. Easton Haven got a bad rap for failing hubs; I'm sure they changed things up.

For sheer price point you probably can't beat LB. They have a new optional wider rim, not advertised on their site AFAIK. You could have them build with Hope (or your supplied) hubs or just get the hoops.

You'll be blown away, I'm sure. I was completely blown by the ride coming from alloy rims on a 429a. Completely different. Cheers!
    Thank you She & I! Excellent information. Originally, I was going with the Easton EC90's but then after reading all of the issues people were having with them, I decided to take a step back and research them before choosing incorrectly. Sure they have a two year no-questions-asked warranty but I would rather spend my time on the trail instead of on the phone.

I've really been eyeing the Enve XC's with custom decals as, honestly, they're a really smokin' match up with the grey/red 429 and I haven't heard any complaints with them (yet).
    429c carbon thread-producttypephoto178w700h500mar.jpg

Reynolds are quite nice as well:
    Name:  Reynolds29er.jpg
Views: 1423
Size:  28.8 KB

I don't know anything about Derby or Light Bicycle... I'll look into those shortly. Thank you!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    wil, have a look in the 27.5/650b forum. That's where Derby rims were introduced here and where there continues to be a lot of discussion in multiple threads about carbon wheelsets.

If you can pony up for Enve, good on ya. Some have been broken, but I think mortals with decent travel would have a tough time breaking one. Be sure your spare tube has a long (50+ mm?) stem, as the rim channel is deep and won't work with shorties.

BTW, I have the DTS 240 hubs with the standard ratchet and love them. Nice and quiet.

Cheers and happy trails...

mtbr member

429c carbon thread

Building a 429C to replace my broken
    Jet9 RDO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B3ginr
    Sep 2013

Good job!

wil, have a look in the 27.5/650b forum. That's where Derby rims were introduced here and where there continues to be a lot of discussion in multiple threads about carbon wheelsets.

If you can pony up for Enve, good on ya. Some have been broken, but I think mortals with decent travel would have a tough time breaking one. Be sure your spare tube has a long (50+ mm?) stem, as the rim channel is deep and won't work with shorties.

BTW, I have the DTS 240 hubs with the standard ratchet and love them. Nice and quiet.

Cheers and happy trails...
    Will do. Thanks for the information!

- Wil

B3ginr
    Sep 2013
    Hey EJ,

Get the LBS to flip that shock around the other way so you can fit a water bottle in there. It works exactly the same... just gives you more clearance. I'm really not sure why Pivot doesn't put it in there that was by default.

Lookin' good!

- Wil

11 is one louder than 10
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbloodworth View Post
    Couldn't decide on a carbon wheel set so it's the Mavic SLR 29's for now. SRAM XX-1 with Magura MT-8s. It's only a week old so I'm still adjusting to it but it's fantastic so far!

Suggestions on carbon a wheel set?

Name:  IMG_2949.jpg
    Having ridden Enve, Roval, and the NOX composites, at this point my recommendation is easy.

Call dave at speeddreams. pick your hubs of choice and have dave build up some Nox composites for you.

Wide, light, seal up great, easy to true if ever needed.

Love them thus far.

With XX1, hadley or DT swiss hubs are nice options.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member

429c carbon thread

Wow! This frame is insanely stiff. I guess my Jet RDO was a wet noodle. I couldn't detect a ounce of flex anywhere. On par with Niner on its pedal efficiency and climbing ability. The rear was solid when pedaling and felt bottomless in the rough. Very impressed Pivot.
    Only down side was the 350gram weight increase, but gain substantial stiffness. My change some odds and ends to get my weight back down. I'm a weight weenie.
    Weight 24.2

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    EJ, what was on the frame when you weighed it? Looks like no bb, rear axle, or headset? Awesome build.

mtbr member

429c carbon thread

No Maxle , but cane creek headset cups were pressed in. 364 grams heavier than my J9RDO

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Well after a year of saving I am finally the owner of a 429 Carbon. I just took it out on my first ride with it and all I can say is what a great bike. The reviews and what you read barely do it justice. This bike will make you a feel like a better rider. It climbs, descends and everything in between amazingly well. I am coming off a hard tail and was worried about pedal bob but not on this bike. I cannot wait to put some more miles on it. I will put up a pic as soon as I figure out how.

Bruce
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by spartacuslv; 02-01-2014 at 05:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

429C + Pike

Just put a Pike on my recently built up med 429C. Looked everywhere for the RS 120mm air shafts but could only find a 130. Didn't have the right oil to do the conversion so I left it at 140. Might keep it there. Running 35% sag and an extra bottomless token. The thing rips on the downs. Probably lose a bit on the climbs, but I think I could get used to it. 130mm might be the sweet spot, but I like a slacker bike and my local trails are either really rocky or they have a lot of rocks.

Comes in at 27lbs even with the Pike, KS dropper, Easton EC70 wheels, Maxxis Ardent / High Roller (not light), 1x10, and a healthy coating of drought induced SoCal moon dust.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 429c carbon thread-27-lbs.jpg  

429c carbon thread-pivot.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks for posting your experience and details, BD. That's just the kind of info I've been hoping for.

I'm thinking White Bros Loop (or something plush with a suitable A-C measure) @ 130 or 140 with a 1.5 Angleset. I'm running Enve AMs already, so with a 70mm stem I could have a serious trail shredder. I think so, anyway; it sounds like your findings might confirm it.

Cheers,

Mike

PS: Curious to know what your test trails were. I'm in SoCal also

mtbr member
    429c carbon thread-img_0038_zpsdabbd4aa.jpgThank you Pivot for rescuing me from Specialized. Slavery is no way to go through life...

429c carbon thread-img_0037_zps3342ab6b.jpg
    Last edited by Stumpjumper61; 02-14-2014 at 08:05 PM. Reason: photobucket website screwed me over

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for posting your experience and details, BD. That's just the kind of info I've been hoping for.

I'm thinking White Bros Loop (or something plush with a suitable A-C measure) @ 130 or 140 with a 1.5 Angleset. I'm running Enve AMs already, so with a 70mm stem I could have a serious trail shredder. I think so, anyway; it sounds like your findings might confirm it.

Cheers,

Mike

PS: Curious to know what your test trails were. I'm in SoCal also
    Hey Mike, I ride mostly N of San Diego.. La Costa / Carlsbad.

Went to a 70mm stem and xx1. Pretty much dialed. Might be no need to drop to 130 or less. Getting PR's up and down with only a few rides ~60 miles. She's down to 26.7 lbs after swapping pedals.

I measured the setup with the Fox 120 right at the 69.3 on my iphone app and just under 68 with the Pike. Not sure you really need the angleset.

Keep on Rockin...
    Anyone with long term bearing issues on their Pivots?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Anyone with long term bearing issues on their Pivots?
    just bring back to your LBS. it's a known issue & Pivot is acknowledging it...
    PIVOT

mtbr member

Xxtr1

XXTR1
    429c carbon thread-4f7774be8c6711e3b6f60e6c1f1df275_8.jpg
    PIVOT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Damage View Post
    Just put a Pike on my recently built up med 429C. Looked everywhere for the RS 120mm air shafts but could only find a 130. Didn't have the right oil to do the conversion so I left it at 140. Might keep it there. Running 35% sag and an extra bottomless token. The thing rips on the downs. Probably lose a bit on the climbs, but I think I could get used to it. 130mm might be the sweet spot, but I like a slacker bike and my local trails are either really rocky or they have a lot of rocks.

Comes in at 27lbs even with the Pike, KS dropper, Easton EC70 wheels, Maxxis Ardent / High Roller (not light), 1x10, and a healthy coating of drought induced SoCal moon dust.
    You have been ripping on it compared to your Bronson!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumper61 View Post
    Thank you Pivot for rescuing me from Specialized. Slavery is no way to go through life...
    +1 - one of the greatest kindnesses one MTBR can bestow on another...

BTW - nice looking bike. I dig the green.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Heres my Mach 429c. Im thinking about putting a 140mm fork on it this year. Never thought Id ride a 29er, let alone love one. Thanks Pivot for making a rad bike!

429c carbon thread-mach429c.jpg
    I like to ride bikes fast.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    BD - first of all - your setup looks great & the black stanchions on the Pike look even better than I would have guessed with the 429 frame.

Can you add any insight about the ride balance / characteristics of the 140/100 setup you're running? I'm very psyched about the 429, but am leaning towards the Ripley due to greater overall travel, particularly the rear. My prior bike (just stolen (moment of silence)) was a Mach 5 & I felt invincible on downhills with it, which I've chalked up to the healthy rear travel & definitely not my technique.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast