Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member
    What tires do you run on your 429c? I'm a potential buyer who wants to go more "All Mountain" with the 429c. Did the Australian version come with the Maxxis Ardent Race tires? As for the RS Dropper, I would probably have the shop install one when/if I decide to buy a 429c next spring. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Re: 429c carbon thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    What tires do you run on your 429c? I'm a potential buyer who wants to go more "All Mountain" with the 429c. Did the Australian version come with the Maxxis Ardent Race tires? As for the RS Dropper, I would probably have the shop install one when/if I decide to buy a 429c next spring. Thanks
    All aussie 429s have rubena tyres on them from the factory unfortunately. They're pretty poor. Stan's Crest wheels also, which are XC race and definitely won't be good enough for AM riding. Suggest flow ex or a nice carbon wide rim.

I run roval carbon wheels with ardent and crossmark tyres.
    I also purchased mine with a 100mm fork and would suggest for AM to consider a pike reduced to 120mm travel.
    On the dropper, you won't find a store who will want to internally route the post for you, the frame isn't compatible from the factory, a couple of mods however and you can get it done!

mtbr member
    Thanks.

I actually do have a shop that will do the internal routing so that isn't a problem. As for the fork, I don't think the 100 mm fork is even an option in the US. I don't see it in any of the build kits. I would love a Pike but the shop did not want to do a swap and give me credit because they would be stuck with a fork they couldn't sell. I have a pretty good relationship with the owner and believe him

I do have the option from the same shop of the Santa Cruz TBLTc which comes with the Pike. I've demo'ed and like both bikes. The ideal solution for me would be a 529c from Pivot. I have time before I decide so I have to see if Pivot has any surprises in store at Interbike. My wife and I have our money tied up in a new house that won't be ready until May, 2015 and I promised not to buy a new bike until we close.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks.

I actually do have a shop that will do the internal routing so that isn't a problem. As for the fork, I don't think the 100 mm fork is even an option in the US. I don't see it in any of the build kits. I would love a Pike but the shop did not want to do a swap and give me credit because they would be stuck with a fork they couldn't sell. I have a pretty good relationship with the owner and believe him

I do have the option from the same shop of the Santa Cruz TBLTc which comes with the Pike. I've demo'ed and like both bikes. The ideal solution for me would be a 529c from Pivot. I have time before I decide so I have to see if Pivot has any surprises in store at Interbike. My wife and I have our money tied up in a new house that won't be ready until May, 2015 and I promised not to buy a new bike until we close.
    Reckon your store will do this to a brand new frame for you??

Cause that's what's involved in IR'ing a M429C

mtbr member
    If I let them, I suppose. It's all moot at the moment since I have not decided on a Pivot quite yet.

11 is one louder than 10
    Specialized Ground Control 29 x 2.3. Not the S-works (too thin of sidewalls).

Pretty happy with those meat's overall.

I have a KS LEV post that I put on it for trips out west. Here in Michigan a rigid post is fine.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    During fall & summer I've been running Purgatory Control 2.3 front and Ground Control 2.3 on the back and I have been super impressed with this combo. Not terrible even on slightly wet days and they roll quite good for a real trail tyre (previously had Rocket Ron 2.25 front & back)

But when autumn really starts and wet roots and rocks are constant, I've been running Hans Dampf Trailstar front & back. Allthough this autumn I've decided to try something else so a pair of Continental Trail King 2.2's (with BC compound) are on their way. I can post comparison to HD later when I have some ride time on the Conti...
    Last edited by Xizor1; 09-05-2014 at 08:36 AM.

Long Live the Gorn!
    Me I found the HD a bit much on the 29, like the Nobby Nic 2.25 on the 29 for Trail / Mountain. Although, I may have not run the HD low enought.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Bontrager XR3 team issue 29x2.30 front and rear at 21psi front 22 psi rear. My weight is 185. Tires work perfect for me and are light at 700 grams and only 55 bucks !!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 429c carbon thread-p1060655.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Whats your rig weigh in at with the nox wheels?????

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    With the carbon wheels, X01 and the Pike fork 26.3 with pedals.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Anybody running an angleset? If so, is it working out?

I'm thinking 1.5 degree, keep stock fork, shorter stem. I've been riding a slacker trail bike and warmed up to the geo and fit...to the point where the 429 feels twitchy and almost sketchy in tech terrain.

A different fork would, I'm sure, unleash some new potential. Have considered it. Trying to keep the 429 XC-ish.

TIA.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My 429c is slacked out now at 140mm with the pike fork, still waiting for new 120mm air spring from RS. At 140mm I had to raise tire pressure 3 lbs for how fast I'm now hitting the down's the Pike is so stiff and supple at the same time. 140mm has made climbing and handling more difficult, so 120mm is where I want to be. The Pike fork is worth the weight penalty 140g more than the Fox 120mm 32. The front on bike still feels light, hopefully will not change when its reduced to 120mm soon next week!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    My 429c is slacked out now at 140mm with the pike fork, still waiting for new 120mm air spring from RS. At 140mm I had to raise tire pressure 3 lbs for how fast I'm now hitting the down's the Pike is so stiff and supple at the same time. 140mm has made climbing and handling more difficult, so 120mm is where I want to be. The Pike fork is worth the weight penalty 140g more than the Fox 120mm 32. The front on bike still feels light, hopefully will not change when its reduced to 120mm soon next week!!
    The 120 is the right for for this bike. I heard the same complaint about climbing from folks who went to 130/140. Let us know how it works when you get the 120 springs

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks, guys--very helpful.

140 grams, barely a penalty...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The Pike at 120mm is where this bike needs to be. It handles much better than at 140mm and I can still fly almost as fast down hill. The 35mm stanchions are way stiffer than the Fox 32mm and even at my weight 185lbs I can feel the difference. Rock Gardens are just fun now with more speed and no flex. This bike needs a Pike, great upgrade!! So plush but so stiff, it has it all!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Re: 429c carbon thread

You definitely speak the truth! Only one ride on mine with the Pikes so far...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I just put Syntace Vector 740mm, 10 rise and 12 degree sweep bar on bike. I love the feel of this bar on bike. I'm still playing with stem length and height in order to get dialed in. 75mm is too short for me now on the stem. With the 12 degree sweep on bar my hands are in a very natural position and 740mm wide is perfect. This bike keeps getting better and better with the dial in process.

Kyl3, your Pike at 140mm? Looks like 120mm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    120 Is correct.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Just built up my 429c:

It's been a long process gathering all the parts, but it's finally done.

429c carbon thread-mach-429-1.jpg

Here's the build sheet:

XL Mach 429C Team Green
    Rock Shox Pike 29 @ 120mm
    SRAM Roam 60 Wheels
    XX1 Drivetrain
    SRAM Guide RSC Brakes w/180mm Rotors
    Rock Shox Reverb Dropper Post
    Ergon SM3 Saddle
    Crank Brothers Candy 3 Pedals
    Thomson Carbon Handlebar
    Thomson Elite X3 Stem
    ESI Chunky Grips
    I'm running crappy used tires with tubes at the moment as I wait for some Kenda tires to come in. Turnbull in the rear and Honey Badger XC Pro in the front.

Total weight as seen is 27.8lbs.

I've only got 1 ride in the bike so far, but it was an 8 mile climb with technical sections followed by a descent down the same.

The biggest thing I noticed was that it felt like the tires were always in solid contact with the ground, whereas on my old bike, small bumps wound unsettle the tires costing me traction.

It feels solid when I hammer on it, it rolls over rocks on technical climbs much better, and feels much more maneuverable and stable on the descents.

I took a rather large leap of faith since I wasn't able to demo it, but it seems to have paid off.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Glad to hear you're happy with it! You definitely won't be disappointed!!

Pikes were the best thing I've done to my 429.. It's so much more stable in the front end now.

You down with entropy?
    hello all, read through this thread a few times.
    I have the opportunity to get a 429c to replace my aluminium 429. my only issue is not having been able to ride a 429c to compare and no opportunity to until spring if I do not jump now.

Anyone else have any direct comparisons?

mtbr member

429c carbon thread

Here is a good review that talks about both bikes: http://www.bicycling.com/mountain-bi...ach-429-carbon

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by esilvassy View Post
    I have the opportunity to get a 429c to replace my aluminium 429. my only issue is not having been able to ride a 429c to compare and no opportunity to until spring if I do not jump now.

Anyone else have any direct comparisons?
    I made that jump and was very happy with the decision. I upgraded the wheels and a couple other parts, so it was not exactly 1:1, but the frame itself is worlds away from the aluminum. I wouldn't even begin to call it "the carbon version of the 429a." I bought the C because I loved my alum so much, but the C is decidedly different all in good ways.

The C is much more plush riding, and makes the A feel almost harsh. Like the A, it feels like it just wants to go fast. Both pedal very well, with barely discernible bob. If any bike deserves CF hoops, the C is it. The combo of a stiff, light hoop (Enve AM on mine) on that ridiculously stiff frame is something to experience. It was an absolute game changer for me.

I just sold that insanely nice bike in lieu of a longer-travel bike, but my decision certainly had nothing to do with any shortcomings of the 429c. Mine was set up with rough XC and bikepacking in mind, but I think the bike would probably be even more in its element set up more for trail as some here have done or suggest.

Cheers,

Mike

change is good
    Sep 2004
    The Carbon is slightly better in various ways IMO. I sold my first alloy to buy a carbon bike which was disappointing. I sold that bike for another carbon bike and that didn't work out. I returned to the alloy 429. Then the 429C came out. Ultimately, my shop gave me a great price. So far, so good.
    1. slacker, yet more neutral and nimble steering with a longer travel fork. My old 429 with a 120 Reba felt a little choppered out. My second 429 with a 60mm offset SuperMax felt a little twitchy and tippy. The SuperMax on the 429 feels just right.
    2. A little stiffer, but the alloy is so stiff I don't know if I can perceive a difference.
    3. Much more mud clearance. A Nobby Nic 2.25 will not fit in a alloy frame although there are good lower volume tires available.
    4. Plusher ride. Plus or minus. The alloy with a 100mm fork felt like a rocket and was connected to the trail. The carbon is more plush but still very efficient but doesn't rocket ahead like a Tallboy or Scalpel when you are on the gas. Unless you change the shock settings but I likey the plush.

Was it worth selling the alloy to get the carbon? That is difficult to say. I'm an empty nester so I do ride it a lot. If my time and finances was more limited, I would of been very happy on the alloy. I have no desire to purchase another bike and this one is built like a tank so I have high hopes for longevity.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Any really tall 429c riders out there... looking to pick one of these up but am far away from a dealer and I am wondering how the sizing on em are. My stats are 6'5" with 36" inseam. Really hope to be able to fit underneath an XL and have a cockpit with some room

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbpower1 View Post
    Any really tall 429c riders out there... looking to pick one of these up but am far away from a dealer and I am wondering how the sizing on em are. My stats are 6'5" with 36" inseam. Really hope to be able to fit underneath an XL and have a cockpit with some room
    I'm 6'7" with a 37" inseam. I just moved from a 25" Ventana El Rey to an XL Mach 429c. I lost 1" in total cockpit length from the centerline of the handlebars to the center of the seatpost at the saddle, but more than that (1.5") was in a change from a 110mm stem (with 710mm bars, but bar size is irrelevant to this measurement) to a 70mm stem (with 750mm bars).

I have to say I am supremely happy with the bike size. I didn't think I was going to be able to find a carbon bike that would fit me appropriately. I looked at the Trek Superfly 23", Fuel 23", Santa Cruz Tallboy/Tallboy LTc, and was waiting on the Turner Czar (Its such a BEAUTIFUL bike) in XXL, but it sounded like it wasn't coming anytime soon. A friend who rides for Pivot told me to check out the Mach 429 as Pivots run large. I checked the geometry and it was a bit shorter than my Ventana, but I always felt a bit stretched on my Ventana. I called Pivot about sizing and told them I was 6'7" they said the XL would fit, and they were right. It's perfect! They say the L is good up to about 6'3".

Go for it!

--Roman

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Still no news about an update on the 429c? The only thing I don't like about the bike is the graphics/colours but have decided to buy one anyway because it's the perfect bike for my riding style and my local trails. But if there would for instance be a colour-update on its way soon, I would wait and gather all the parts meantime.

Clevis-mounted shock, 1/2" more travel out back and 17.5" chainstays also on the wishlist...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Proper internal routing for dropper posts I want!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Pivot's not changing the 429c because its there #1 seller, but I agree some changed should be made to keep bike current. Can't they just provide internal routing for the dropper post, my frame that is being replaced under Warr. because of Green paint cracking won't be in till Jan. 2015. I decided to go with the black/blue color so I don't have to deal with that again. It will be the same bike unchanged in 3 years, all black stealth color would be nice!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Lol...
    Last edited by Rich24; 12-09-2014 at 04:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Where did you here that, or get the info?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    :d:d:d:d
    Last edited by Rich24; 12-09-2014 at 07:14 PM.

You down with entropy?
    Quote Originally Posted by kyl3 View Post
    I'll be all over that like a fat kid on cake if true...

if true everyone can tank me as I had just put the wheels in motion to get a 429c on friday...
    looking forward to it either way.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Considering how long the Mach 4 is taking to roll out, I'm not expecting it any time soon. This bike is so good, I wonder if I could appreciate the next gen version.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The new updated 429c will be 2016 not 2015, my new black/blue large may be in at Pivot Tomorrow.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    ----
    Last edited by Rich24; 12-10-2014 at 05:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    It will be the 2015 not the new 2016, warr. replacement!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am about to pull the trigger on a 429c and I like everything but the front fork on the build kits. I want to stay with 120mm travel and do not want to go longer. I am considering the Pike but have no clue to which model to purchase it's not real clear to me as it looks like it's only offered in a 140 version? I know Fox products well and if I have to I will go that direction but would like to try the Pike and then I will just sell the Fox 32 off from the kit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The Pike is what I have and love on this bike, it now can be bought at 120mm. I had to buy the 140mm than have it reduced to 120mm. This fork is what this stiff frame needs to really make it shine.

Long Live the Gorn!
    The Pike is what I have and love on this bike, it now can be bought at 120mm. I had to buy the 140mm than have it reduced to 120mm. This fork is what this stiff frame needs to really make it shine.
    How do you buy it at 120mm when I checked I still had to get 140 and get the cartridge to reduce to 120... maybe I am missing something.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Sram just told me Jan. till 120mm Pike available. Sorry!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I did as above euthanasia Pikes, bought rct3 140 and had the shop fit the 120mm air sleeve..

Have had this fork on now for 2 months, words cannot describe the difference this has made to the bike!

mtbr member
    The new updated 429c will be 2016 not 2015, my new black/blue large may be in at Pivot Tomorrow.
    You were saying?!?

Mach 429SL Carbon | Pivot Cycles | Performance Redefined

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So they dropped the regular Mach429c, so how much more $$$ is this bike going to cost us now compared to the former? Also still no Fox 34 fork or Pike option on the build kits.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Will sell my frame.. You buy now!

Want the new one heh heh heh

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I guess Pivot told me wrong, I wonder what frame I will get ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kyl3 View Post
    Will sell my frame.. You buy now!

Want the new one heh heh heh
    Hmmm... Or should I buy a used frame from someone who can't stand having the heavier frame. I already know two friends who just have to get the new frame because they can't think rationally about these things But now the green one is about a pound heavier than the new frame so can't buy that one!

mtbr member
    Xfusion trace is a much looked over excellent alternative to the pike. Almost two for the price of one if you shop carefully

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast