Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

429 Carbon thread

Balanced? Yes. In my biased opinion, balance has more to do with set up, not total travel length. I'm riding both the front and rear in the "trail" position 90% of the time and have them tuned to "firm." I'm thinking of dropping the fork down to 120mm, but that's more for the sake of geometry, not suspension feel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 429c carbon thread-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

comparison?

Have you changed your mind on the benefits of running the 130? I'm feeling the 120 is a bit steep for me on the technical east coast descents and have been thinking about going to the 130. Does any one know what rake fork Pivot specs on the 429C? I wonder how the longer rake Trek/Ibis version of the Fox would effect the handling.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredbadams View Post
    Balanced? Yes. In my biased opinion, balance has more to do with set up, not total travel length. I'm riding both the front and rear in the "trail" position 90% of the time and have them tuned to "firm." I'm thinking of dropping the fork down to 120mm, but that's more for the sake of geometry, not suspension feel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Still waiting on a Green frame...first there were delays from Fox (buying xt/xtr kit), then I heard quality issues are causing a delay with frame choice now. Maybe end of Aug? Wonder if I'll be getting a 2014 or wonder what may be release at dealer camp at end of July? Maybe I'll be waiting even longer based on news to come...

mtbr member
    most squishy bikes creak, the best way to deal with this that i have found is, earbuds and music. its easier to adapt to riding with tunes vs riding with anger and frustration over creaking, plus, one has a tendency to slow down to lessen the creaking vs speeding up because your rocking out to a singletrack moshpit with something like phobia, raped by pigs or the classic cannibal corpse. just a thought.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffva View Post
    Still waiting on a Green frame...first there were delays from Fox (buying xt/xtr kit), then I heard quality issues are causing a delay with frame choice now. Maybe end of Aug? Wonder if I'll be getting a 2014 or wonder what may be release at dealer camp at end of July? Maybe I'll be waiting even longer based on news to come...
    According to the best bike shop in Orange County, the 2014's are now ready!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Re: 429c carbon thread

Just got a black-red 429 carbon frame in size L (pic and build info coming later) and was wondering does anyone have info what is the recommended minimum seat post insertion amount. My current post extends to as noted in the picture and I was wondering is this enough or should I get a longer post?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 429c carbon thread-2013-07-23-14.55.47.jpg  

Get to dah choppah
    Sorry, i don't know your experience level, and we can't see how much post is above the seat clanp. But -

The minimum insertion depth is normally marked on the post. While that does assume that the post is weaker and will break before the frame, that's likely the case here.

Even if you have a 400mm post, the mark you're showing should be more than sufficient. Weight weenies would likely consider cutting it at that point.
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Re: 429c carbon thread

Quote Originally Posted by icsloppl View Post
    Sorry, i don't know your experience level, and we can't see how much post is above the seat clanp. But -

The minimum insertion depth is normally marked on the post. While that does assume that the post is weaker and will break before the frame, that's likely the case here.

Even if you have a 400mm post, the mark you're showing should be more than sufficient. Weight weenies would likely consider cutting it at that point.
    Just got a reply from Pivot that they have planned the frame for a minimun insertion amount of 100 mm which is ok in my situation as my current insertion amount is about 120 mm (seatpost is a 415 mm Reverb).

It just funny because I think in my Reverb the minimum insertion depth mark is clearly smaller than 100 mm...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Here is my 429 C- build: (L-size frame)

429c carbon thread-pivot.jpg

Fork: X-Fusion Trace RL2 120mm
    Wheels: DT Swiss 350, Stan's Arch EX, Supercomp
    Brakes: Formula R1
    Drivetrain: SRAM XX1
    Stem: Easton Haven 70mm
    Handlebar: Ritchey Trail Carbon 740 mm
    Seatpost: Reverb
    Seat: Selle Italia XP
    Tyres: Rocket Ron 2.25 with NoTubes sealant.
    Pedals: Shimano XTR

24.7 lbs with pedals

BTW, does anybody know can a 2.35" Hans Dampf or 2.4" Ardent be used at the rear? Looks quite tight with 2.25" already...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Xizor1 View Post
    Here is my 429 C- build: (L-size frame)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pivot.jpg 
Views:	727 
Size:	370.7 KB 
ID:	819050

BTW, does anybody know can a 2.35" Hans Dampf or 2.4" Ardent be used at the rear? Looks quite tight with 2.25" already...
    I am running a 2.35" Hans Dampf up front and a 2.4" Ardent on the rear with room to spare. These are setup on my 24mm internal width Enve AM wheels. Both are about the same width, so the Hans should fit fine in the rear as well. No rubbing issues, but mud clearance could be a problem if you ride in areas where it's prevalent (def not an issue in central TX). Expect to gain another 1.5 pounds with the change to those tires.

mtbr member
    Doing a custom build myself.... Anyone thought about running the RS Pike 140mm? Pike RCT3 | SRAM & Rock Shox Pike RCT3 29" Solo Air 140mm Fork Black 51 Review

Think it would change up geometry too much? HA & BB height?

mtbr member
    Just demo'd a 429 carbon Medium XT/XTR build today on a 20 mile XC ride. I don't even know where to start. Lets just say I have been a loyal specialized customer until today. Those days beginning today are officially over. For some background I own the following large frame bikes:

12 Epic Carbon Comp 29er
    12 Camber 29er Carbon Expert with 15mm front axle upgrade
    12 Stumpjumper Carbon Comp 29er w/ a 120mm fork (instead of the 130mm stock fork)
    14 Camber comp carbon 29er w/carbon rims

All of the above are set up tubeless, have Stans rims, have carbon bars and some have carbon cranks and so on along with some minor upgrades but overall they are pretty close to stock. The approx. weights respectively are. 25, 26, 26.5, 26.5

In the spirit of full disclosure I could not stop myself from throwing my Roval carbon rims on the 429 before I road it today since I have tried slant 6's and they just don't work where I ride plus they had tubes in them and my carbons rims are tubeless. This also made the setup faster since my rims already had my tires of choice on them. The 429 weighed in at 26lb 12oz with XTR pedals.

Now I am going to list the things that stood out me, the things that were distinct, that told me I was not on my Specialized anymore in sort of the order that I noticed them from the start.

1. The crank spin: The XT crank with the 38/24 rings and whatever kind of bottom bracket and bearings are in there (92mm?) spun like nothing I have ever felt before. I would swear there were ceramic bearings (even though I have never tried ceramic bearings so I have no real way of comparing).

2. Transfer of energy: Along with #1 above came an amazing and efficient transfer of energy with little waste. Acceleration even blew away my Epic. The energy input and power output efficiency was mind blowing. I was instantly a better rider.

3. Handling: No more taking turns too wide because your bike can't track properly through corners. My other bikes are not even in the same universe much less the same planetary system. You think it and this bike does it, it is that effortless. That is the only way I can describe it.

4. Overall smoothness of ride. I rode 20 miles but to my body it felt the same as 8 on my 2014 Camber. My aging body loves this bike. Now this may cause you to think that performance suffers but it is just the opposite. This bike is fast, smooth, knifes down the trail dodging anything that you feel like dodging. Amazing bike.

That is all
    Last edited by Stumpjumper61; 02-25-2014 at 05:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Are you going to change your user name, too?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Are you going to change your user name, too?
    LOL, no but only because the Stumpy is the only bike I would keep in my current stable. The others have become, well, useless.

Get to dah choppah
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumper61 View Post
    LOL, no but only because the Stumpy is the only bike I would keep in my current stable. The others have become, well, useless.
    U haz no alternatives.

Name:  we-are-the-borg-kittens-kittens-demotivational-poster-1249712676.jpg
Views: 1568
Size:  66.4 KB
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Less XC set up?

I've read snippets here or there around fork variations with the 429c. After having so much fun on my Bronson, I yearn for more DH capability in my 429c.

Thinking of:

130mm/34-35 fork (140? Pivot says 100-125mm)
    Angleset (-1?)
    Burlier shock (Monarch/Plus, Float X)
    Lose the front der

Has Enve AMs and big rubber already. Please don't tell me to go Mach 6...I'm already dealing with those evil thoughts

TIA...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    I've read snippets here or there around fork variations with the 429c. After having so much fun on my Bronson, I yearn for more DH capability in my 429c.

Thinking of:

130mm/34-35 fork (140? Pivot says 100-125mm)
    Angleset (-1?)
    Burlier shock (Monarch/Plus, Float X)
    Lose the front der

Has Enve AMs and big rubber already. Please don't tell me to go Mach 6...I'm already dealing with those evil thoughts

TIA...
    Go Mach 6.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Wow, and I thought I was the only one running a 22/32 combo with a bash ring. My bike came with 24/38 up front and I found I needed a lower granny plus I was hardly ever using the 38 but to move from a 24 down to a 22 with the larger 38 wouldn't give me good shifting so I actually bought a triple crank (what a waste since I didn't order it with it) and ordered a standard 22 and then the XT 32 with the ramps. Without the bash I couldn't keep it from overthrowing the 32 but once the bash came in it was perfect. I totally love the setup, gives me all the gears for on trail and nothing I don't need. I spin very fast. Nice clean bike on that hardwood floor, I should bring mine in after a bath sometime and take a fireside photo of it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by robwas View Post
    Wow, and I thought I was the only one running a 22/32 combo with a bash ring. My bike came with 24/38 up front and I found I needed a lower granny plus I was hardly ever using the 38 but to move from a 24 down to a 22 with the larger 38 wouldn't give me good shifting so I actually bought a triple crank (what a waste since I didn't order it with it) and ordered a standard 22 and then the XT 32 with the ramps. Without the bash I couldn't keep it from overthrowing the 32 but once the bash came in it was perfect. I totally love the setup, gives me all the gears for on trail and nothing I don't need. I spin very fast. Nice clean bike on that hardwood floor, I should bring mine in after a bath sometime and take a fireside photo of it.
    My LBS told me I couldn't change to a 22 granny without changing the cranks as well. Currently have a 24-38 w/ XT cranks, 22-36 would seem more ideal. I was surprised when they told me that. Am I getting mis informed?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    One up components is now offering a 42 tooth ring for your rear 10 speed cassette and I also saw a 41 tooth for the same on ebay just a thought

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Hi all and greetings from Finland!

This is my first ever post to MTBR-forum. I just would like to share my great joy to have a new Xmas present purchased by myself.

[/QUOTE]

It has been built mainly for XC- and trailrides. The weight is about 10.4 kg (22.9 lbs).

I have not yet even ridden it because we have nasty weather here up north. I prefer to save the enjoyment until the more pleasant weather comes in the spring.

Currently I am doing all my winter rides with the full rigid On One Carbon 29 Racer using Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro studded tires on Velocity Dually 45 mm rims - an interesting combo indeed!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

28.0 lbs 429C build

429c carbon thread-20131211_pivot-429c.jpg

From the factory:
    2013 Pivot 429C size medium
    Fox Float 32 120mm travel CTD
    XT/XTR pro package

Additions:
    Syntace W35 wheels
    Front Maxxis Ardent 2.4 tubeless
    Rear Racing Ralph 2.25 tubeless
    Ergon GP 1 bar ends
    Wellgo MG-1 pedals
    XT triple crank w/ bash guard 22/32 combo

Total build weight with pedals 28lbs

It seems heavy compared to most 429 builds, maybe if I put on the original wheel set it'd come in a tad less but loving those wider rims and bigger tires on the root and rocky stuff we have here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I was wondering I am getting ready to buy a new bike and the pivot is very high on my list. Why did you buy yours? What else did you look at? I am also interested in the Intense Spider Comp. The pivot seems to be the gold standard but looking for more reasons I guess as to me this is a really expensive bike.

About me, I live in Las Vegas ride xc some trail stuff nothing crazy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I went out on a demo day rode the bike and loved how it handled. In all fairness while I rode other bikes around parking lots and near shops the Pivot was really only the second bike I got to truly ride on a real trail. The first was a Santa Cruz Tallboy which was my initial choice and I thought I'd love it so I went out to a bike shop in another state because they had one, took a test ride and actually hated it. I've been mountain biking for about 20 years but I took a big hiatus due to some health issues and got back into it a little over a year ago. Prior to the 429c I owned a hard tail trek 8000 series bike from 1994 which served me really well but there is no comparison to the new technology. The few times I hopped back on my old bike it felt downright dangerous. I guess a big part of my buying decision was I really wanted something different and 29ers are all the rage and everyone said they'd grow on me. The Pivot was the first 29er I rode that didn't have to do any growing, I liked it the first time I rode it and it inspired confidence almost instantly. If I were buying a bike now though I'd probably look at Ibis, Trek and maybe even Specialized endure bikes what have a lot of travel. As much as I love my Pivot the few things I find I'd like to have are perhaps even more travel, I set my shocks up pretty light to soak up roots and such but when I go off a decent drop I bottom them out, something with more travel would perhaps allow the best of both worlds. About the only things I don't like about my Pivot are pedal strikes, weight and maneuvering in super tight stuff. Because I ride it plush with a lot of sag I have to be really careful not to hit the pedals on rocks and roots, even then I hit them quite often. The second thing is coming off a sub 24lb bike my Pivot is quite a bit heavier and takes more effort to get up hills. Lastly while the bike really can take wide sweeping turns fast, low speed handling in super tight stuff like we have on some of our tee lined trails is a bit clumsy but I'm really nitpicking, it's truly a fun bike. If it had just a bit more rear wheel travel it'd be ideal.

And yes, it is REALLY expensive, I think with the upgraded hubs mine cost around $6000.

Good luck on your search, the best advice i can give is get out and ride the bikes not around parking lots but on trails, if Pivot has a demo day near you take advantage of that, you're spending a lot of green on a bike so be sure before you buy something less than what you love.

Rob

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Wow thank you for the honest feed back. I think I can accept nothing is perfect and that I am the only one who can decide what I like but it is nice to hear other peoples thoughts. Like you I am getting back into biking after some time away. My specialized hard tail is dated and unforgiving but still a great bike. I am hoping to find something that will instill more confidence in my riding as at times now I think I am beyond my bike.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast