Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Long Live the Gorn!
    Green,
    Thanks for the update...I did do some wiping down and it helped, I am going to give mine a good cloth and brush cleaning and see what it does. Let's keep looking..

mtbr member
    guys, i went to my lbs. my distributor said that pivot knows and acknowledged this issue.
    the bearing can easily broke on the lower linkage of the suspension rear triangle side. my lbs got out of stock of the bearing coz other riders also went for replacement.
    PIVOT

Long Live the Gorn!
    Engr,

When you say "This Issue" exactly which issue are you talking about the "tick tick" you described or the general creaking?

11 is one louder than 10
    Quote Originally Posted by engrmariano View Post
    guys, i went to my lbs. my distributor said that pivot knows and acknowledged this issue.
    the bearing can easily broke on the lower linkage of the suspension rear triangle side. my lbs got out of stock of the bearing coz other riders also went for replacement.

Please clarify. Which bearing, and is it causing the creak?

For a bearing to "Break" something catastropic would need to happen.

Clairfication, and ultimately, pictures would be fantastic.

Went on a 2 hour ride yesterday after a cleaning. Started out dead silent, but a bit creaky by the end. Not as bad as it will be after a few more rides, but it will come back.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvader View Post
    Engr,

When you say "This Issue" exactly which issue are you talking about the "tick tick" you described or the general creaking?
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Giant View Post
    Please clarify. Which bearing, and is it causing the creak?

For a bearing to "Break" something catastropic would need to happen.

Clairfication, and ultimately, pictures would be fantastic.

Went on a 2 hour ride yesterday after a cleaning. Started out dead silent, but a bit creaky by the end. Not as bad as it will be after a few more rides, but it will come back.
    guys, it's about this post i posted the other day.
    hi again, has any of you experienced "click" or "tick" sound coming from the linkage of the suspension when pedaling hard off the saddle?

btw, im using small frame & weighs ~225lbs...
    and the orange part is the issue...
    PIVOT

Long Live the Gorn!
    Thanks E.

I did a pretty extensive dry clean (rags, brushes etc) and was quieter but not silent.

I was / am also having trouble with the rebound in rear shock...the dial was backing off on its own..and I was getting bounced around...turns it it is worse..the rebound is completely blown...guess that explains it. Getting serviced expect to be warrantied.

Get to dah choppah
    I have the same noise in the same condition (pushing hard out of the saddle). Since the bike is basically new i don't think it's a wear or contamination issue.
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by icsloppl View Post
    I have the same noise in the same condition (pushing hard out of the saddle). Since the bike is basically new i don't think it's a wear or contamination issue.
    Again, just make sure the rear axle is really tight.

11 is one louder than 10

mmm wonder what pivot has cooking to address it.

I've been debating pulling that apart, but man I hate the time it will take.

3rd ride tonight after a good cleaning. Creaky as all heck again.

I love how this bike rides which is why I'm putting up with it. Did your shop say what pivot suggested, or if they are working on anything (bought mine from competitive cyclist). I do not want to return it as I love it, but creaking drives me absolutely insane.

EDIT - talked to pivot. It's not a major issue, but they have had a few with some bearing issues (not just 429c's but some others.)

So, when I get some spare time it looks like I'm pulling that main pivot apart. I'm actually hoping the bearings are bad!

guys, it's about this post i posted the other day.

and the orange part is the issue...

mtbr member
    I've been debating pulling that apart, but man I hate the time it will take.

3rd ride tonight after a good cleaning. Creaky as all heck again.

I love how this bike rides which is why I'm putting up with it. Did your shop say what pivot suggested, or if they are working on anything (bought mine from competitive cyclist). I do not want to return it as I love it, but creaking drives me absolutely insane.

EDIT - talked to pivot. It's not a major issue, but they have had a few with some bearing issues (not just 429c's but some others.)

So, when I get some spare time it looks like I'm pulling that main pivot apart. I'm actually hoping the bearings are bad!
    my friend's firebird also had the same issue, our lbs just replaced it...

according to my lbs, pivot will be sending new type of bearings to replace these fast wearing ones.

will update once they changed it over the weekend...
    PIVOT

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Anyone weigh a 100mm setup with all XX or XTR?

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredbadams View Post
    Bike setup: Pivot 429C
    Frame Size & Color: XL Carbon/Blue
    Rear Shock: Fox CTD
    Fork: Fox 34 CTD 130mm
    Brakes: Formula The One
    Shifter: Sram XO
    Cranks: Shimano XT 175mm
    Chainrings: 22,32, Race Face bash
    Rear Derailleur: Sram XO
    Pedals: Shimano XT
    Stem: Thomson 90mm, 10 degree rise
    Handlebar: Sunline 745mm, 38mm rise
    Seatpost: Thomson
    Saddle: Specialized Phenom
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano
    Cassette: Sram 1070 11-32
    Headset: Chris King Inset
    Grips: ODI Ruffian MX
    Front Tire: Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35
    Front Rim: Stans Flow
    Front Hub: Chris King
    Rear Tire: Racing Ralph 2.25
    Rear Rim: Stans Flow
    Rear Hub: Chris King

Rider: Twenty-years on mtb (6 on 29ers), former BMXer, based in Northern Virginia
    Weight: 220lbs
    Height: 6í4Ē
    Inseam: 36in
    Sleeve: 37in

After last summer, I decided to put my six-year old Ventana El Rey out to pasture and update my ride based largely on geometry data due to a general lack of XL bikes to test ride. Having ridden a few bikes with shorter chain stays, I knew that I wanted stays shorter than the 18.3 ones on the El Rey, and I also was keen on finding a bike with a lower bottom bracket. After months of research, I pre-ordered the 429c from Competitive Cyclist in November and just took delivery of the frame the first week of April.

Out of the box, I was incredibly impressed with how light the frame felt; easily a couple of pounds lighter than my El Rey. What didnít impress me was the lack of internal cable routing, which I didnít know was only featured on the smaller frames. Still, cable routing alone wouldnít have swayed my decision and as I tell my four-year old, ďYou get what you get and donít get upset about it.Ē

The build was pretty straight forward as I was mostly porting over components from my older frame, and in hindsight, not having to fuss with internal routing, probably made the process a tiny bit easier. One thing that did stand out was the front derailleur; it was stupid simple to install. Whoís to say whether or not front derailleurs will be around in a few years, but while they are, direct mount is definitely the way to go.

To date, Iíve only gotten in three solid rides on the 429, but Iím really loving it. There was initially some concern about choosing a 34 as opposed to a 32, fearing that it would rake the bike out too much, but that isnít the case at all. Set at 130mm, the 34 brings the bottom bracket up to only 13.5in and slackens the head tube to about 69 degrees. This setup is spot on for the Mid Atlantic, where roots and rocks cause pedal strikes with lower bottom bracket heights, and, to boot, it feels very comfortable.

Thereís not a world of difference in terms of stiffness compared to my El Rey, but that frame is a tank in comparison, and I feel that the DW link suspension does provide much better pedaling efficiency. Looking down at the shock as I climb root and rock strewn trails, the back end gently absorbs and erases much of the harshness. And, when pedaling on the flats, thereís no discernible movement, even in the ďtrailĒ setting, which is where Iíve set both the shock and fork.

Once I get more time on the bike, Iíll post a longer report, but thanks to everyone here for advice and build tips, and also to Pivot, who offered fantastic customer service throughout my wait. The 429c, so far, has been time and money very well spent.

Attachment 789053Attachment 789054Attachment 789055
    How does the 429c handle with the 130mm fork; Balanced?
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

Long Live the Gorn!

according to my lbs, pivot will be sending new type of bearings to replace these fast wearing ones.

Thanks E,
    Please keep us updated, I am in the shop for the rear shock, if I could get the bearings replaced at the same time that would be a plus.

UPDATE : My LBS talked to Pivot and is checking my lower linkage for the "out of tolerance" bearings, good on LBS and Pivot.
    Last edited by bvader; 06-25-2013 at 12:16 PM.

11 is one louder than 10
    So I pulled mine apart tonight.

Really a super easy job, much less involved than my Tallboy was.

Bearings, particularly on the rear felt super rough until I cleaned things up and then they were totally fine. Cleaned and reassembled. Here is hoping for 500 miles of silence. Things were great on my short test ride around the neighborhood.

But it's an easy job. Just make sure to go to the pivot website to get clarity on what to use loctite and where to use antiseize.
    Last edited by Green Giant; 06-25-2013 at 08:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Team Green - Any Quality Issues?

Proud owner of 5.7 alum...test rode a 429c & now have 1 on order - Team Green. Has anyone heard that the finish on the green is not durable or any other info that may point me toward the natural / blue? Been waiting on Fox for suspension backorders, but not seems there is a lack of frames till July - Aug. I test rode the green in xt/xtr & that's the bike I desire, but now wondering...

Any input much appreciated.

Long Live the Gorn!
    I have been extremely happy with the finish on my carbon W/ red. Lots of dirt dust rocks and mud early in the season very little cable rubs, 700 miles of trail 150k if climb and decend When I wipe down / clean still looks excellent , seems very durable to me.

However, There is a guy on the board very unhappy with durability oc the green, I sure he will chime in. He had several posts on it.

11 is one louder than 10
    Mine has been pretty good. One small chip on the top tube and a little scratch on the downtube from a rock. But I'm not having major chipping problems, or anything like that. I dig the team green.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yea, thought I read on hear about issue with Green. I also heard that there was a quality issue on the last batch of green frames received so another 4 weeks for next batch (unless I switch to other color). I understand wear & tear, but never had carbon on MTB + spenidng alot of coin for this one. The 5.7 alum has been bomb proof on finish & quality

11 is one louder than 10
    The green is a faster frame for sure, and based on the response - chicks dig the green.

Get to dah choppah
    The green is a faster frame for sure, and based on the response - chicks dig the green.
    So true...
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

mtbr member
    Yes, we do.

429c carbon thread-429carbon_zps8747b59c.jpg

Long Live the Gorn!
    So I got my 429c back Wednesday and rode it this AM.
    Recap :
    Rear shock damping was blown, fixed under warranty.
    Rear 240s hub service
    I had growing creaking...LBS (The Path) contacted Pivot about out of tolerance bearing on a few frames turns out mine was OK. LBS tore down pivots, cleaned, lubed, reassembled. Bike rode Awesome and Creak Free today. Good! I will see how long that lasts. (Creak Free). Nice to have working suspension again

Also added a KS Lev dropper...holy crap that thing is cool and now I am thinking after one ride how did I survive without one.
    Last edited by bvader; 07-05-2013 at 07:52 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Anyone know the stock weight on the 429C w/ XT/SLX build kit?

mtbr member

429c carbon thread

so my bearing replacement arrived. when the mechanic was about to replace it. he found a lot of sand around the bearing assembly. he cleaned it & it's sound free already. but i told him that the thing is exposed to mud & dirt, so it would happen again. but he assured me that it wont happen again coz he did something...
    PIVOT

Long Live the Gorn!
    Quote Originally Posted by fontarin View Post
    Anyone know the stock weight on the 429C w/ XT/SLX build kit?
    I do not... but i have a nice XT build with 240s and Arches, and it was 27 and change, now with my Lev it is 28 even.

So with Xt / SLX I think you looking at 28 and change...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast