Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    was fast
    Jan 2011
    Update: Few minutes trailside adjusting dialed in the FD. Perfect full power up and downshifts. Now to see if I can do something about the derailleur slap.

Also, I have a suspicion that these early production 429C's are not significantly lighter than the 2012's. There was mention in early press previews that the preproduction samples were purposely built heavy. I only lost .4 lb, same build except the direct mount FD and DT 240 142TA swapped from a Project 321 QR135 and my old frane was the heavier 2011 model 429.

change is good
    Sep 2004

429c carbon thread

I've had under built CF frames before. Sucks.

mtbr member

429c

Bike setup: Pivot 429C
    Frame Size & Color: XL Carbon/Blue
    Rear Shock: Fox CTD
    Fork: Fox 34 CTD 130mm
    Brakes: Formula The One
    Shifter: Sram XO
    Cranks: Shimano XT 175mm
    Chainrings: 22,32, Race Face bash
    Rear Derailleur: Sram XO
    Pedals: Shimano XT
    Stem: Thomson 90mm, 10 degree rise
    Handlebar: Sunline 745mm, 38mm rise
    Seatpost: Thomson
    Saddle: Specialized Phenom
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano
    Cassette: Sram 1070 11-32
    Headset: Chris King Inset
    Grips: ODI Ruffian MX
    Front Tire: Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35
    Front Rim: Stans Flow
    Front Hub: Chris King
    Rear Tire: Racing Ralph 2.25
    Rear Rim: Stans Flow
    Rear Hub: Chris King

Rider: Twenty-years on mtb (6 on 29ers), former BMXer, based in Northern Virginia
    Weight: 220lbs
    Height: 6í4Ē
    Inseam: 36in
    Sleeve: 37in

After last summer, I decided to put my six-year old Ventana El Rey out to pasture and update my ride based largely on geometry data due to a general lack of XL bikes to test ride. Having ridden a few bikes with shorter chain stays, I knew that I wanted stays shorter than the 18.3 ones on the El Rey, and I also was keen on finding a bike with a lower bottom bracket. After months of research, I pre-ordered the 429c from Competitive Cyclist in November and just took delivery of the frame the first week of April.

Out of the box, I was incredibly impressed with how light the frame felt; easily a couple of pounds lighter than my El Rey. What didnít impress me was the lack of internal cable routing, which I didnít know was only featured on the smaller frames. Still, cable routing alone wouldnít have swayed my decision and as I tell my four-year old, ďYou get what you get and donít get upset about it.Ē

The build was pretty straight forward as I was mostly porting over components from my older frame, and in hindsight, not having to fuss with internal routing, probably made the process a tiny bit easier. One thing that did stand out was the front derailleur; it was stupid simple to install. Whoís to say whether or not front derailleurs will be around in a few years, but while they are, direct mount is definitely the way to go.

To date, Iíve only gotten in three solid rides on the 429, but Iím really loving it. There was initially some concern about choosing a 34 as opposed to a 32, fearing that it would rake the bike out too much, but that isnít the case at all. Set at 130mm, the 34 brings the bottom bracket up to only 13.5in and slackens the head tube to about 69 degrees. This setup is spot on for the Mid Atlantic, where roots and rocks cause pedal strikes with lower bottom bracket heights, and, to boot, it feels very comfortable.

Thereís not a world of difference in terms of stiffness compared to my El Rey, but that frame is a tank in comparison, and I feel that the DW link suspension does provide much better pedaling efficiency. Looking down at the shock as I climb root and rock strewn trails, the back end gently absorbs and erases much of the harshness. And, when pedaling on the flats, thereís no discernible movement, even in the ďtrailĒ setting, which is where Iíve set both the shock and fork.

Once I get more time on the bike, Iíll post a longer report, but thanks to everyone here for advice and build tips, and also to Pivot, who offered fantastic customer service throughout my wait. The 429c, so far, has been time and money very well spent.

429c carbon thread-012-640x444-2-.jpg429c carbon thread-014-640x576-.jpg429c carbon thread-011-640x579-.jpg

Old goat
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredbadams View Post
    ...and as I tell my four-year old, ďYou get what you get and donít get upset about it.Ē
    I tell my two... "You take what you get and you don't throw a fit, or you'll go to your room and that's where you'll sit!" They love to quote that back to me when I tell them they didn't clean their rooms well enough.

gorgeous bike. looking forward to more ride reports on your build.

mtbr member
    Great looking bike. The only "flaw" is the stanchion on the right side of the fork!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    Anyone riding a shorter stem on their 429c? I was running a 70 mm Thomson, but I wanted it to flick a bit more in and out of turns. Just threw a 50mm Thomson on and was curious to see if anyone else had done this. Oh yeah, I ride a enve 9d sweep flat bar.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    This is my new build. Don't have it dialed in just yet (Need to cut the steer tube after I get some trail time in), been to busy at the shop. So far, looks good. Not a feather weight, but respectable at 24.5 lbs for a Large.

Long Live the Gorn!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmack View Post
    Anyone riding a shorter stem on their 429c? I was running a 70 mm Thomson, but I wanted it to flick a bit more in and out of turns. Just threw a 50mm Thomson on and was curious to see if anyone else had done this. Oh yeah, I ride a enve 9d sweep flat bar.
    Funny for me the 70 *is* the short stem, I find it very responsive on my medium, I am 5'10". Let us know how the 50 works.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I finally got a few rides in on the 429C. I am very pleased. My initial thoughts is it descends and corners better than any 29er I have been on. I am shocked how well it carves. I haven't got to test it on a hilly techy trail yet but I will on Thursday. Someone mentioned that it is very neutral. I would agree. It feels like a MTB should, be never does. I notice I clear sections much faster than before. Its almost like cheating. More to come...

Snapper
    see any issues with 6.4/235lb behemoth on an XL carbon with 34 talas fork ran at 110mm.
    will a Chris King Insert 2 tapered headset be fine?
    Last edited by johnd663; 05-16-2013 at 04:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by engrmariano View Post
    small
    That is the best looking small framed 29er I have seen. I have been thinking about waiting until a company like Pivot or Ibis come out with a 4" travel 650b bike because I have always thought the 29" wheels look odd on small frames and that I somewhat fight them on my Ventana El Padrino HT 29er and seem to ride better on my Ventana El Bastardo 650b FS. So I was set on thinking that 29" wheels were for big guys. After looking at your pic of the small framed 429C I might just have to give this bike a shot.

mtbr member
    Why would I choose a 429C over say a Ripley? What would be the compelling characteristics?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Why would I choose a 429C over say a Ripley? What would be the compelling characteristics?
    Google "pivot 429 vs. Ripley". I read a geat comparison of the two the other day. Counter intuitively, they chose the Ripley for more of an XC bike and the Pivot 429c for a better trail bike. Good read...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I chose the 429c because the ripely was way too small. The Ibis xl is equivalent to the pivot L.

Anyone else have their compression dampening on their Ctd factory shock blow up shortly after getting their bike? My shock only lasted 8 hours.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    I've been running the shorter 50mm stem for a few weeks now and here are my thoughts.

My other bike is a Niner MCR with a 50mm stem with a 100mm fork. This bike is insane in the twisty-turner stuff. When I first got it, with a 120mm, it was great in big sweapers, but pushed a bit in tight turns. When I had the fork pushed I dropped it to 100mm and added the 50mm, now it is one of the most nimble and quick bikes I have ever riden. I know this is not the pivot, but I am providing some more background for comparison.

So now when I first got my 429c, I felt it pushed a bit and was slow on the turns. Not enough to be bad, but enough to make me notice. With the 50mm stem, I find this to be less the case. I certainly need to be much more careful on the line I take through a turn, but it doesn't really seem to push much. I think it is a better setup for me than the 70mm.

The one negative I will mention though. The front end tends to get a bit light on really steap climbs. With the 70mm stem I thought the climbing on this bike was beyond the best I had ever seen. With the 50mm, it can get light but it is still really good.

Final thought, the improvement for me of the 50mm stem on flats and tight turns far outweighs the occasional lightness I get on climbs.

mtbr member

429c carbon thread

hi, my frame is small and my water bottle is hitting the switch of the shock. i want to reverse it but got no idea how to remove bushings (shock removed from frame already)...

any tool/s i need? thanks!
    PIVOT

Pivotal figure
    You can sometimes pull the bushings apart by hand but not very often. The bushings on that shock consist of a sleeve that fits through the tan colored inserts in the shock body. The sleeve then has 2 spacers with tiny dust-seal o-rings, 1 per side. I have a tool for doing the removal but you can use pretty much anything that is smaller in diameter than the spacers. It's fairly easy to tap the sleeve out enough to remove one spacer and from there I've been able to pull it out by hand. You don't have to remove the tan pieces so that makes it a LOT easier. You'll want to use something like a deep socket and be careful not to mar the sleeve or deform the end (kinda hard but not impossible).
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Long Live the Gorn!
    600 miles in starting to getting some creaking...not seat / seatpost. Down below.. I will begin the hunt but also would appreciate any insight if anyone has any. BTW...still absolutely enamored with this bike.

Az HS Cycling League
    I started to have an odd noise as well at about the same mileage. I tracked mine down to a rear hub issue. It is tricky in that it seems the carbon frames resonate any noise and that made for more investigation than usual. Took me a while to pinpoint the culprit. Made for a few rides of me scratching my head and watching and listening to
    the bike instead of the trail. Good luck.
    Support Arizona High School Cycling League
    www.arizonamtb.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

34/130- warranty?

[QUOTE=jaredbadams;10306527]Bike setup: Pivot 429C
    Frame Size & Color: XL Carbon/Blue
    To date, Iíve only gotten in three solid rides on the 429, but Iím really loving it. There was initially some concern about choosing a 34 as opposed to a 32, fearing that it would rake the bike out too much, but that isnít the case at all. Set at 130mm, the 34 brings the bottom bracket up to only 13.5in and slackens the head tube to about 69 degrees. This setup is spot on for the Mid Atlantic, where roots and rocks cause pedal strikes with lower bottom bracket heights, and, to boot, it feels very comfortable.

Do you know if using the longer travel fork voids the warranty. I know Pivot wasn't specing these on the builds. My only gripe with my 429c is on steep fast rocky terrain the front end feels a bit short with the 120 float.

mtbr member

429 carbon thread

According to Pivot customer service, the 34 at 130 won't void the frame warranty. I'm on the larger side, appreciate the added stiffness of the 34, and would recommend it if weight isn't your top priority. Here's an updated picture 429c carbon thread-image.jpg

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by johnd663 View Post
    see any issues with 6.4/235lb behemoth on an XL carbon with 34 talas fork ran at 110mm.
    will a Chris King Insert 2 tapered headset be fine?
    I'm around 240 with a 35in inseam. I don't think Pivot rushes their bikes to market and self promotes a product that is developed for 85% of the riders out there. If you ride 4-5 times a week and like the chunky trails, I say go for it. FWIW, I now prefer Cane Creek headsets.

mtbr member
    hi again, has any of you experienced "click" or "tick" sound coming from the linkage of the suspension when pedaling hard off the saddle?

btw, im using small frame & weighs ~225lbs...
    PIVOT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by engrmariano View Post
    hi again, has any of you experienced "click" or "tick" sound coming from the linkage of the suspension when pedaling hard off the saddle?

btw, im using small frame & weighs ~225lbs...
    Check the rear axle. Loosen and re-tighten.

11 is one louder than 10

creaks and ticks

Yes,

Like a few here I am hearing the same creaks and ticks. Started about the 500 mile mark.

Pulled a few things apart and cleaned and lubed. Helped a bit, but came back.

What I have found is that when I wash the bike and have it clean, it's dead quiet for a few rides until it gets dirty again. So, at this point I'm assuming it's dirt, or dust, something that gets in there and creaks.

Also thought it could be the cable ferruels on the rear chainstay for the rear der. Light coat of grease on them.

Ultimately, it's something dirty or not lubed. I don't think it's structural, but also will admit it can be annoying. I would love to figure out the root cause as thus far I've thought it was the rear wheel dropouts, possibly the linkage, or even my seatpost.

I of course didn't just try one thing at a time to narrow it down.

I cleaned it before a 4 day trip to Colorado. Dead silent day one and two. Day two was a 5 hour epic with lots of crapola. Next day it creaked like a MOFO (I cursed the creaking a few times, but absolved it for the great ride).

Got it home, washed it off this AM - Dead silent again.

It's my only issue thus far as I love how the bike rides. But, with 4 kids I don't have time like I used to to try and really narrow it down to the root cause - so if someone figures it out - let us know!
    Last edited by Green Giant; 06-21-2013 at 09:05 AM.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast