Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    22

    429 vs. 5.7 - (2011)

    Hi,

    I am coming from Titus. Right now selling my Xti and keeping the El Guapo. The EG is built at 31 pounds with 160mm travel and some tank parts.

    I want to replace the X with a Pivot. Never rode a 29er nor have much experience with the trail type. What I will need is a bike that is light and comfortable for long distance XC/trail, since I will take the EG for anything that is less than 30 miles and crazy.

    I am sort of past short travel slick XC bikes. I am not racing and I don't mind an extra couple of pounds for more plushness and fun.

    I am 6.1 200 pounds. I can't demo these bikes because right now I am in Brazil. It is a blind thing.

    cheers

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tinshield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,084
    I would say that it really depends on the terrain you ride. The 429 will excel in rocky/rooty trails where momentum is important to keep moving. The bigger wheels will help where the roots and rocks are always trying to stop you. The 5.7 can do the same but you'd see a difference with smaller wheels. If your trails have bigger obstacles, require fast acceleration and very tight maybe the 5.7 is the better choice. Climbing is a toss up as the 26 wheels may be better on long, sustained, smooth climbs where as the 29's will probably hold an advantage on the nasty, technical climbs.

    For me, 29 inch, 100mm travel bikes are the holy grail for long rides.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,594
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinshield
    I would say that it really depends on the terrain you ride. The 429 will excel in rocky/rooty trails where momentum is important to keep moving. The bigger wheels will help where the roots and rocks are always trying to stop you. The 5.7 can do the same but you'd see a difference with smaller wheels. If your trails have bigger obstacles, require fast acceleration and very tight maybe the 5.7 is the better choice. Climbing is a toss up as the 26 wheels may be better on long, sustained, smooth climbs where as the 29's will probably hold an advantage on the nasty, technical climbs.

    For me, 29 inch, 100mm travel bikes are the holy grail for long rides.
    Which one is better on miles 25-40? That last 1000' foot technical climb with slippery rocks or something... or whathaveyou? Not that I ever ride that long/far anymore but I'm guessing mo travel will keep you mo fresher mo longer?
    "It looks flexy"

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,416
    Quote Originally Posted by Siderion
    I am sort of past short travel slick XC bikes.
    Sultan? Both great bikes, with many pluses and minuses, but the Sultan is definitely more plush.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,534
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinshield
    I would say that it really depends on the terrain you ride. The 429 will excel in rocky/rooty trails where momentum is important to keep moving. The bigger wheels will help where the roots and rocks are always trying to stop you. The 5.7 can do the same but you'd see a difference with smaller wheels. If your trails have bigger obstacles, require fast acceleration and very tight maybe the 5.7 is the better choice. Climbing is a toss up as the 26 wheels may be better on long, sustained, smooth climbs where as the 29's will probably hold an advantage on the nasty, technical climbs.

    For me, 29 inch, 100mm travel bikes are the holy grail for long rides.
    I don't think acceleration is a factor for us "mere mortals". Several studies and anecdotal stories have shown the difference in acceleration to be negligible, so I wouldn't factor that into my decision. Tight? Maybe.. I have yet to find anything that I can't handle on my 29er HT. I would also say that because of momentum, the bigger wheels would be better on the sustained, smooth climbs, but I have nothing solid to prove that.

    I agree with your last statement, and will add to it that I haven't been on my 26 FS in over a year now... since I got my 29er HT. I thought I would swap them out, depending on what I was riding, but so far, the 29er is better at everything... short rides and long. Somewhat technical to fire roads. I haven't found anything yet where I would have wanted the 26 wheels and can't think of any trails I've ridden where I would, either.

    I'm a pretty decent rider but don't do any stunts or super tech stuff. I've ridden WA (wet, rooty), Moab (and prefer my 29er there on everything I've ridden!), ME, VT, TX and CO primarily with others thrown in for good measure. I'll take the 29er everywhere and am planning on a getting a 429 in the near future to go with my HT. Those I will swap out, depending on the ride and/or my mood. But my 26 is for sale!

    I did the San Juan hut to hut ride from Durango to Moab this summer. 28 - 38 miles a day with lots of climbing. Stayed mostly on the main route (fire roads, ATV trails) primarily. I rode my 29er HT and couldn't imagine being on my Stumpy FSR, even with the Brain. I could imagine being on a Stumpy FSR 29er or the 429, though, even with all the climbing! Of course, next time I do that route, I will take most of the alternative singletrack options, where a FS would be a better choice than a HT.
    Last edited by skiahh; 11-28-2010 at 11:27 PM.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    22
    Hey thanks. Right now this is my rationale:

    If I was planning on keeping only one bike than I would invest some money on making the Guapo lighter or get a 5.7. Since I am not planning on selling the Guapo I think that the 429 will be more fire road and long distance compatible than the 5.7 right? Making the EG the bike for radical trails and the 429 the bike for long dirt roads. On an XX or XTR build the 429 is lighter (than a 5.7), right?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,534
    Quote Originally Posted by Siderion
    Hey thanks. Right now this is my rationale:

    If I was planning on keeping only one bike than I would invest some money on making the Guapo lighter or get a 5.7. Since I am not planning on selling the Guapo I think that the 429 will be more fire road and long distance compatible than the 5.7 right? Making the EG the bike for radical trails and the 429 the bike for long dirt roads. On an XX or XTR build the 429 is lighter (than a 5.7), right?
    I can't tell you which would be a lighter bike, but I think you'll be selling yourself short if you get the 429er (or any 29er) for just fire road use.

    I think the 429 will be able to handle just about anything you can throw at it... radical or not.

    I'd recommend spending some time on the 429 before you spend any more money on your EG and then decide what makes sense!!

    In addition to XX or XTR, since it seems like you have a pretty healthy budget for this bike, you might want to consider putting a Lefty on the 429. That'll save you some weight and make your front end stiffer, too. In turn, it'll make it a more capable bike on "radical" trails!

    That's my plan for my 429, though I can't afford XX or XTR... I'll go with XT.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tinshield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,084
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh
    I don't think acceleration is a factor for us "mere mortals". Several studies and anecdotal stories have shown the difference in acceleration to be negligible, so I wouldn't factor that into my decision. Tight? Maybe.. I have yet to find anything that I can't handle on my 29er HT. I would also say that because of momentum, the bigger wheels would be better on the sustained, smooth climbs, but I have nothing solid to prove that.

    I agree with your last statement, and will add to it that I haven't been on my 26 FS in over a year now... since I got my 29er HT. I thought I would swap them out, depending on what I was riding, but so far, the 29er is better at everything... short rides and long. Somewhat technical to fire roads. I haven't found anything yet where I would have wanted the 26 wheels and can't think of any trails I've ridden where I would, either.

    I'm a pretty decent rider but don't do any stunts or super tech stuff. I've ridden WA (wet, rooty), Moab (and prefer my 29er there on everything I've ridden!), ME, VT, TX and CO primarily with others thrown in for good measure. I'll take the 29er everywhere and am planning on a getting a 429 in the near future to go with my HT. Those I will swap out, depending on the ride and/or my mood. But my 26 is for sale!

    I did the San Juan hut to hut ride from Durango to Moab this summer. 28 - 28 miles a day with lots of climbing. Stayed mostly on the main route (fire roads, ATV trails) primarily. I rode my 29er HT and couldn't imagine being on my Stumpy FSR, even with the Brain. I could imagine being on a Stumpy FSR 29er or the 429, though, even with all the climbing! Of course, next time I do that route, I will take most of the alternative singletrack options, where a FS would be a better choice than a HT.
    Where I ride I have no need or desire for a 26er. As far as the tight turns....many peoples opinions are ground in the early 29 inch bikes and really don't apply with the new ones. Under idea conditions a 26er may turn a bit quicker but to me it's negligible.

    My King Kahuna is on eBay right now. It's a great bike but I really haven't seen the need to grab it over the HiFi. Like I said, 100mm 29er is the ideal do it all bike. Even looking at all the racing I did this past season there was only one, maybe two courses where the HT would have maybe made sense, but I am no expert racer so weight isn't a huge factor to me.

    Now, if I did most of my riding on fire roads my decision would not be so easy. On smooth trails or fireroads where there is lots of climbing a 26 inch HT would be my choice. Nothing like that in New England so.....
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    22
    thanks for the replies. I am gonna work on a video showing my lands here so you will see what type of ride we do. Have a nice week.

  10. #10
    Black Lion
    Reputation: yogreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,432
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    Sultan? Both great bikes, with many pluses and minuses, but the Sultan is definitely more plush.
    I disagree
    but your miles may vary
    Voltron

  11. #11
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,427
    For me, If I had the EG, I'd go for the opposite side of the spectrum and get the 429. I'd place the 5.7 somewhere in between the two. Since the OP is looking for something more XC-ish...I would think he would be looking for the 429.

    In any event...if you went with the 5.7.....I think you'll always be wondering what it would be like to go even more XC-ish for long distance/XC-trial with a 29'r.

    I currently ride my Mach5 (2009) on long, all day rides and I see the benefit to a 29'r for this...but since it's my do it all, it's fine. If I had my druthers, I'd split the category and go with a Firebird for my South Mountain days....and a 429 for my bikepacking/endurance days.

    Since the OP wants to keep the El Guapo....this is why I say go with the 429.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,594
    Been thinking about this and my vote is for both. Go buy both and if for some reason you don't like one, sell it.
    "It looks flexy"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •