Thread: 429 shock setup

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

429 shock setup

i've had my 429 for 3 months now and a big fan. i probably have 350 miles on it, but i am still not sure that i have settled on final shock settings (ie psi & rebound) - always fiddling and adjusting.

i was curious how others have their shock set-up and also thought it would be a good resource, or starting place, for new 429 riders.

i go 230# with gear and i think the sweet spot for me seems to be 150 psi and 2 clicks in from full out on the rebound.

also, any bigger guys had their rp23 PUSHed or added the high volume air sleeve? is there a noticable difference?

mtbr member
    The 429 has actually been one of the easier bikes to setup to get the feel/behavior I want.

I've had other bikes that I was always trying to dial-in a bit better during riding, but I haven't really needed to do that so much on the 429. I also like the negative travel aspect of running ~30% sag with none of the typical drawbacks of running that much sag during steep climbing efforts. All without touching the pro-pedal lever--nice!

For shock tuning, I just do a pre-ride geared-up sag check using the sag-o-meter attached to the shock (makes it super easy to check sag), and am settling on 3 to 4 clicks in from full out on the rebound damping for my local riding; 4 clicks in gives me a little more chassis and traction control on very slow speed rock crawling, 3 clicks in allows the shock to rebound faster for higher-speed hits and general riding.

My shock is the RP23 Boost Valve, with XL Rebound Tune, L Velocity Tune.

Edit: I'm ~195 lbs ready to ride.
    Last edited by robertj; 12-07-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Fat & Single
    205lb ready to ride - 128psi in shock , when i disconnect the pump the small hiss loses approx 3psi dropping it to around 125psi , 2 clicks from full out on rebound and i also on occasion for a long climb flick over to pro-pedal on setting 2.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    robertj -

did your sag-o-meter come on your shock? i saw one on a trek at my LBS and it looked like it was easily removable. do you know if they sell them aftermarket?

thanks,

mtbr member
    @SnowPup: Yes the "sag-o-meter" was on the shock when I bought the bike, and I find it useful enough for a quick sag check that I'll probably leave it there. It has a Pivot logo on it and is zip-tied to the outer canister where the Rebound and Velocity Tunes are indicated. Not sure if they are sold aftermarket, but you can call Pivot and see about availability.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx
    205lb ready to ride - 128psi in shock , when i disconnect the pump the small hiss loses approx 3psi dropping it to around 125psi , 2 clicks from full out on rebound and i also on occasion for a long climb flick over to pro-pedal on setting 2.
    My friend who is a Fox shock servicer says you loose 5 psi on engagement with the shock pump and the "his" you get on removal of the pump is only what was left in the shock pump.

I have had my 429 for only a week now and the weather turned bad on day 2 of ownership up here in QLD/AUS (thanks Ozzy for all your tipss) but the two rides I had at 110kg (250 pounds) had 120 psi in the shock for the 30% sag and I haven't used all the travel!

Strange noises were coming from the boost valve shock and we found the shock had 30 odd mls of shock fluid inside which I am told was more than twice as much as should be so a little error at the assembly line.

Hopefully the weather Gods will be kind and this weekend I can see if full travel is acheived!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    just spoke to Pivot, FWIW they sell the sag-o-meter for $9.99. just ordered one. will be nice to instantly check sag as the weather/gear changes from ride to ride.

mtbr member
    @SnowPup: that's cool. I keep mine on there for the reasons you mentioned.

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Strong
    My friend who is a Fox shock servicer says you loose 5 psi on engagement with the shock pump and the "his" you get on removal of the pump is only what was left in the shock pump.

I have had my 429 for only a week now and the weather turned bad on day 2 of ownership up here in QLD/AUS (thanks Ozzy for all your tipss) but the two rides I had at 110kg (250 pounds) had 120 psi in the shock for the 30% sag and I haven't used all the travel!

Strange noises were coming from the boost valve shock and we found the shock had 30 odd mls of shock fluid inside which I am told was more than twice as much as should be so a little error at the assembly line.

Hopefully the weather Gods will be kind and this weekend I can see if full travel is acheived!
    Looks like you had a pretty big difference in PSI compared to Snowpup (you @ 250lbs w/120PSI and 30% sag and snowpup @ 230lbs w/150 ? sag)- less PSI for a heavier rider but still getting 30% sag and not even using all of the travel.

I know from past exp that too much of the blue float fluid will not allow full compression/travel of the shock... unless it blows the shock seal out. But I wonder how much of the PSI difference is from the boost valve shock? I have a 429 with the older pre-boost valve rp23, I forget off the top of my head what PSI I am running but will have to check when I get home- as I am ~220 or so with gear
    I Just wish I could ride more!

Fat & Single
    I have pumped it up, disconnected it , pumped it up, disconnected it, and it definately loses 3-4psi on the disconnection , i have found my sweet spot on my 429 and i can say its perfecly dialled in and works for me

BTW i can tell if i have lost pressure as it feels saggy , connect the pump and it might be 5-10psi too low (over 4-6 weeks)
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Fat & Single
    Hey the 30% sag all depends on where your saddle position is too , if you sit forward, your saddle is forward or a low seatpost to a high, its going to be a different shock pressure than a guy the same weight on the same bike with a long layback sitting back on the saddle, simple leverage logic.

As for not going full travel , you are not getting the best out of the bike. You should probably go near if not hit full travel on every ride , even if its just on that one drop or hit.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx
    Hey the 30% sag all depends on where your saddle position is too , if you sit forward, your saddle is forward or a low seatpost to a high, its going to be a different shock pressure than a guy the same weight on the same bike with a long layback sitting back on the saddle, simple leverage logic.

As for not going full travel , you are not getting the best out of the bike. You should probably go near if not hit full travel on every ride , even if its just on that one drop or hit.

I agree with the 30% sag varing by not only seat postion but also overall bike fit- I am kinda short and stocky at about 5'9" and 215 or so with gear/pack etc. Vs a guy 6' riding the same medium bike at the same wight....
    I would add you may want to kind of hover over your seat and put most of your weight on the pedals to reduce the variables. As well as adding or releasing ~5 psi either direction once you find the ~30% mark is also not a bad idea to fine tune it to your specific wants/needs
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I rode my mach 429 now for The second time with about 110 psi in the rp23 with boost Valve. I weight about 200 lbs. I am not satisfied with the rear shock.

The shock feels very sticky and makes whoozy noises. I rode the bike with the rebound 1 click from full open. Even on full open the shock feels not very fast.

As i compare it with the rp23 without boost valve on my dw turner 5 spot it feels very harsh.

It is outside freezing so this could cause so more friction but could there be something wrong with the shock or is it the boost valve that feels like ****?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I had the exact same issue with my shock, my mechanic opened it up and called Fox and we found four times the required fluid inside. (RP23 with boost valve on 2010 429)
    Strongy