Thread: 429 Questions

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

429 Questions

Hey All-

Ive searched this a good bit, but havent had any answers to speak of. There are not any Pivot dealers close to my area so I cannot test ride (which makes me leary).

Ive been looking for a race-oriented dual suspension 29er for the past few months. Ive narrowed it down to the Tallboy or Epic, but after reading reviews for the 429, started to consider that as well. Does anyone have a frame weight for the 429? Also, has anyone ridden all 3 bikes? I know the Tallboy and Epic both build up in the 24-25.5lb range w/ XO/Reba, does anyone know where the 429 falls with that build? Obviously different bits affect things weight wise on the complete bike.

Bike will be used for XC, Marathon and long epics (re: 6-7hr rides), but mostly 2-6hr races.

Thanks for any opinions!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i have a 429 with all xo build ztr 355 wheels. fsa bars stem. candy ti 4's \
    comes in around 25lbs,...its a great bike...what ur looking for i would say look at the epic...or even the niner jet 9 , same builds looking around 24lbs,....thats if ur looking for a race bike...it ur looking for a racebike that can take the beating of a lifetime .. then get the pivot...its a super strong bike....i have crashed it hard,...ive downhilled it,..it can take a real beating...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've ridden my 429 and my buddies TB and they ride about same. TB coming in a little lighter. Don't fall into the misconception of frame weights compared to the 429. All Pivot weights are with the front derailleur, BB and headset in. When I weighed mine I weighed my RIP 9 with all the same components and they weighed the same. But my 429 is way more rigid. I use mine for all the same things you stated and I'm going on my 3 season with the 429, with no plans on changing. The 429 rocks in my book!
    RIDE ON,
    Scotto

mtbr member
    I've ridden all three. Epic on a trail day demo, TB just around a parking lot and I bought the 429 (my Christmas present, so only a few "real" trail rides on it so far). I don't race and ride mostly XC/trails stuff; normal roots, rocks, ledges but no real hucking and have found that I really enjoy multi-day long distance rides (Kokoelli, San Juan hut to hut system).

For reference, I rode my first one on a 26 Spec SJ. Did Durango to Moab on a 29er HT, after which I bought the 429. The SJ is for sale, but I'll mix and match the two 29ers and can't think of anything I've ridden that wouldn't be more fun on one of those two bikes.

With that background, I didn't really like the Epic. I was absolutely convinced that was the bike I would get next... but when I rode the demo (an S-works, even!), it just didn't speak to me. I was amazed, but you gotta go with what feels right. The SJ felt much better to me and was my second choice. Someone suggested I try a TB, so I did and it felt pretty good, but in the end, I'm just not ready for a CF MTB (I'm a clyde and not all that graceful!). On the other hand, if the bike was primarily for racing, I would have been much more inclined to pursue this one. The parking lot ride felt pretty good, but I never pushed for a trail ride just because of the CF deal.

The 429 had the right feel for me and on my off road ride, gave me the handling I wanted. Note, the SJ did, too and for the most part, so did the Epic... but the 429 just had a better overall feeling for me.

Having ridden it now on a familiar trail, I never realized just how much lateral flex I've had on my other FS bikes! The 429 tracks like it's on rails no matter what the obstacle I'm going over!! Rocks that would give a bit of lateral slip feeling now feel like I'm just rolling straight over them; wherever the front tire is pointed, without being pushed around! It's amazing and very confidence building, too! The suspension is supple and, for 4", damn plush!

Mine comes in at 29 lbs without pedals and it's an XT build. I can see where I could pretty easily drop a pound or two if I wanted to put the money into it. I don't know if an XO build will get you to 25#... I'd guess 26-27, but there's one guy who has built up a 22# 429! (429 + Lefty - go to post #10), so with the application of enough "weight reduction" coupons, anything's possible!!

I do intend to put a Lefty on it eventually which will drop almost 2# right away and increase front end stiffness, too.

I love my 429 and if you have the cash to chip away at it, I'd say go for it!! But the frame isn't really designed to be a waif, so with the same components, the Epic will likely come in lighter. The TB would also probably be a tad lighter, too. On the other hand, the 429 will be a stronger frame and is less likely then CF to fail way out in the middle of nowhere (and again, probably just my bias, but makes me feel more confident). My 429 climbs as well as my SJ w/ the brain and goes downhill like a banshee! For me, I absolutely made the right choice!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    awesome! and thanks for all the quick replies. there is a dealer over in tampa/riverview and im in orlando, so maybe it is worth the drive over. id like to keep it around 25lbs with good, reliable parts so i think that may be possible.

thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotto
    I've ridden my 429 and my buddies TB and they ride about same. TB coming in a little lighter. Don't fall into the misconception of frame weights compared to the 429. All Pivot weights are with the front derailleur, BB and headset in. When I weighed mine I weighed my RIP 9 with all the same components and they weighed the same. But my 429 is way more rigid. I use mine for all the same things you stated and I'm going on my 3 season with the 429, with no plans on changing. The 429 rocks in my book!
    How much did your 429 fame weight? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I weighed my Pivot Mach 429 (small) before I built it up and it was just over 7 lbs. That was with the headset cups, press-fit BB and front derailleur. Just for fun I weighed my RIP 9 frame with King headset and front derailleur and it was almost 7.25 lbs.
    Right now it's just over 25 #'s with I-9's and SRAM XX. By far the best bike I have ever ridden.
    RIDE ON,
    Scotto

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    TrekSErider,

I live in Riverview and just purchased a Mach 4 from the shop you're referring to, Native Bikeworks. They have very recently opened and I don't think they have any Pivots in stock at the moment. Their service is second to none and I would highly suggest giving them a call first if you have any questions. They impressed me enough to take the plunge in buying from them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    yeah, ive known art for a long time- a very good guy!

mtbr member
    I first rode the Tallboy last May at a demo day and thought it was the bike for me. I instantly felt at home on it.

I then rode the S-Works Epic later in the summer and it just did not feel right. I did not have that instant confidence that the TB inspired.

I rode the 429 in the parking lot and it felt very natural.

In the end, I ended up ordering a 429 frame from Speedgoat and building it up myself, with a final weight of just over 27 pounds (my goal was sub 27.) I tend to keep my bikes for a long time and simply had more confidence in the M429 lasting longer then the carbon fiber TB.

I am very impressed with the 429. Like many of the reviews say, it accellerates when you put the hammer down, very rigid laterally, and the new shock valving is plush. I have no complaints and would buy the 429 all over again.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I have a TB and a 429. I never rode the Spec. The SC and the Pivot are great bikes with the Pivot being stiffer and about two pounds heavier. Yes, the Pivot rides light. Both companies have excellent customer service. I do have more confidence in aluminum, but not many are complaining about TB failures. Right now, the Pivot is in service and will be for some time. Hmmm, ultra light TB build with Lefty, Enve, etc..... Unfortunately, at my weight, for a day in, day out bike, it aint happenin.

Rider and Wrench
    Weight wise there is really no getting around it the 429 is not the lightest frame out there- but mix the overall frame stiffness with a super firm and stable pedaling platform and it makes a great XC/trail bike... that responds very well to pedaling- fast acceleration and excellent climbing. If you are a race light build it might not be the best choice race frame, if you are approaching clydeville it might be just the right mix.

My Med 429 comes in at 27 1/2 Lbs but it is built on the beefy side- not heavy stuff but surly not race light.....

I9 Enduro wheelset (Stan Flow rims)
    Schwalbe NN 2.25 Snakeskins
    Thomson X4 90mm stem/Masterpiece post
    ODI Lock ons
    WTB rocket seat (~270g?)
    3X10 XTR 970 FD, pedals & Cranks, 980 Shifters, RD, and XT 11-36 cassette
    Avid Elixir CR 160/180 G3 rotors
    1 1/8th Fox FIT 15mm 120mm
    10mm rear DT RWS

So I wet for a combo of fairly light but when in question leaned toward strength so I guess I could probably shed 1.5-2.5 lbs if I had leaned that way...
    I Just wish I could ride more!

Fat & Single
    I have not weighed mine in a while, but it was just under 12kg or 26.5lb, i dont think ive changed much apart from the pedals from XT to Time carbon.

Hope/flows wheelset, soon to be arches
    Rotor agilis cranks
    Fox f29 fork 15mm
    Syntace vector bars
    KCNC scandium post and stem
    Hope X2 Race brakes
    Ralphs 2.25 SS both ends tubeless
    Syncros FL saddle

When i work out how to go single upfront i will lose the extra shifter and mech.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx
    I have not weighed mine in a while, but it was just under 12kg or 26.5lb, i dont think ive changed much apart from the pedals from XT to Time carbon.

Hope/flows wheelset, soon to be arches
    Rotor agilis cranks
    Fox f29 fork 15mm
    Syntace vector bars
    KCNC scandium post and stem
    Hope X2 Race brakes
    Ralphs 2.25 SS both ends tubeless
    Syncros FL saddle

When i work out how to go single upfront i will lose the extra shifter and mech.
    Ozzy http://www.speedgoat.com/News.aspx/List?Type=N&Page=4 scroll most of the way down this page to see Pivots adapter.
    Strongy

Fat & Single
    Cheers strongy ! Dont know when it will be out ? Hopefully i can get it from the US as $79 is ridiculous for what it is , but oz prices you can double that
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX