There's always next year.

New question here. 429 Front Derailleur Question...

Looking for some help with FD from people far more capable than I...

Long story short, I've changed from 3 rings (42-32-20) up front on my 429 to just 2 (38-26) for winter training. Didn't think I'd love it as much as I did, but dang if there isn't some magic in the new combo, and am thinking I'd like to keep it permanently.

However, I'm having a problem setting up the derailleur and getting it adjusted "just right". Its the standard XT that came on my '09 frame. I've reset the sucker more than once (which isn't exactly fun on the frame). Specifically, I've struggled to get rid of rub when I'm pedaling in the 26 ring-- it rubs on most combinations except the 32 and 34 teeth in the cassette.

I've set up more traditional FDs with 2 rings before, and didn't have the issues I have now. If I needed too, I would move the FD up or down on the seat tube, but thats not an option on the 429.

Is there something I'm missing, or should I be looking into picking up a specific 2 ring FD from Sram or Shimano with some Christmas money?

Thanks in advance for any advice that fellow Pivot rides could give me!

Fat & Single
    When you sit on the bike the FD moves down (sag), you might need to set it up with weight on it .
    I run 33/22 front with a standard XT E-type with only slight rub on 33-11 and im rarely in that gear.... actually i reckon ive been in granny 22 twice in the life of the bike, when i work out how to get a chain keeper on there i will be 1x9.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Pivotal figure
    Which part of the FD is the chain rubbing on? It would seem that the larger ring would raise the chain up quite a bit so I'm guessing you're touching the shifting ramps? I'm pretty sure the max. ring size for that particular der. is 22t so even with some adjusting you'll have rub.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Thanks Ozzy and Ken for your thoughts--

I spent some time tonight doing some more play/adjustment with the FD and am getting happy with performance. I have the chain falling to the crank side now, so tomorrow I'll fix the limit screw and solve that problem.

Ken-- the only remaining rub is now in the cross-chaining situations (big-big, and small-small) The worst one is small-small, when it feels close to the chain shifting up. I'm assuming some of that is to be expected, but in a perfect world, I'd love for it to be abit quieter.

I emailed Pivot as well and asked about if a new derailleur designed for two rings might help. They told me to stay away from the SRAM ones because they require the additional and expensive adaptor to work. They thought an XTR model might work, but didn't know for sure because it they had no experience with them on 9 speed cranks.

I also have an old twist shifter sitting in the parts pin, so I might think about throwing that on... I do remember using it to trim out rub in certain combos, which might work for me here. (and be far cheaper than an XTR front derailleur)

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Padrefan1982,

Are you the guy I've been emailing? This is Daniel from Pivot. Kenbentit and I work for Pivot, Ken is our QC Test rider shipping prototype guy, and I'm the sales manager. Any who, we are happy to help answer any questions.

I talked with my friend at Shimano, he said the new XTR double FD will work ok, but you may have some rubbing in either the outer extremes or inner extremes. So, I would set it up so it doesn't rub when in the granny gear, and then just deal with the noise when I'm in my hardest Big ring little cog. It will shift your gears correctly.

Happy Trails!
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

Yes I am...

Quote Originally Posted by dan23
    Padrefan1982,

Are you the guy I've been emailing? This is Daniel from Pivot. Kenbentit and I work for Pivot, Ken is our QC Test rider shipping prototype guy, and I'm the sales manager. Any who, we are happy to help answer any questions.

I talked with my friend at Shimano, he said the new XTR double FD will work ok, but you may have some rubbing in either the outer extremes or inner extremes. So, I would set it up so it doesn't rub when in the granny gear, and then just deal with the noise when I'm in my hardest Big ring little cog. It will shift your gears correctly.

Happy Trails!
    I am that same guy, Daniel! I happened to run into a bike shop today that I trust down in San Diego, and their comments echoed your comments and thoughts. I'll look at ordering one up and throwing it on.

Thanks again for all the patience and thoughtful comments. It makes me proud to be apart of the Pivot family!