mtbr member
    Aug 2007

429 - Creaky pivots: how to silence

I've developed some noise on the 429 that I suspect is coming from the pivots. I suppose it could be the seat or bottom bracket, but I have a hunch it's the pivots. I mostly hear it while climbing. I am developing my do-it-myself skills, but haven't messed with the pivots yet. How easy is it and what do I do?

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by rtcage
    I've developed some noise on the 429 that I suspect is coming from the pivots. I suppose it could be the seat or bottom bracket, but I have a hunch it's the pivots. I mostly hear it while climbing. I am developing my do-it-myself skills, but haven't messed with the pivots yet. How easy is it and what do I do?
    If your pivots had a problem and creaked they would creak all the time. Let all the air out of your shock and cycle the suspension.
    I will bet it is the seat/ or seat post.
    Voltron

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I had a similar creak, and it seemed to be coming from way back in the rear triangle. In an attempt to rule out benign causes, I cranked down the rear wheel axle rachet an extra 1/4 turn and the creaking went away. Give it a try.

Fat & Single
    On one of my wheelsets i have Silver DT swiss spokes and they make a squeak/twang as i get on the gas climbing, the wheels are perfectly tensioned and the only way i can temporarily stop it is put a drip of squirt chainlube at each spoke crossing. Just another possibility after you've checked the above.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Ok, I'll work through the process of elimination.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Good news: I'm pretty sure it's the post

Bad news: I stripped the inside of the clamp screw head in the process.

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by rtcage
    Good news: I'm pretty sure it's the post

Bad news: I stripped the inside of the clamp screw head in the process.
    It may be best you stay away from the bushings...
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by knottshore
    It may be best you stay away from the bushings...
    I've definitely felt like Lennie from Of Mice and Men with certain bike parts, but I'm learning from my mistakes. I have to say though that the Hope clamp screw was as soft as butter. The new Thomson one that I just put on seems much more Lennie-proof.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    take ur seat post out and clean out the dirt , thats the issue i had....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    it's cured. it was definitely from the seat post.

mtbr member
    I just picked up a Pivot 29er and tonight I went on my third ride. I've never in my life ever heard a bike creak like this bike. My noise seems to be coming from the bottom bracket area, and the creak get reallly bad when pedaling. I'll try what everyone suggested first and see what happens.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    There are a lot of things that can cause creaking as well addressed above. One of the most common places your bike can develop creaks and squeaks is in your headset. And with large aluminum tubes, that creak can echo and seem as though it is coming from BB or other pivot points. Check all those points too in your process in looking for your squeaks and creeks...

Your bike should ride nice and quite.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    After a dozen rides rides I've narrowed down the noise to the seat post and head set. I just tighten everything down before a ride and 90% of the creaking goes away. I'm running the Ritchey head set, and I'd be interested to hear from other riders that are running something different, i.e. Canee Creek, FSA, Chris King to see how they like those.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgie
    After a dozen rides rides I've narrowed down the noise to the seat post and head set. I just tighten everything down before a ride and 90% of the creaking goes away. I'm running the Ritchey head set, and I'd be interested to hear from other riders that are running something different, i.e. Canee Creek, FSA, Chris King to see how they like those.
    I've seen a lot of headsets and Ritchey are among the worst I've seen. Maybe they are better than in 2001 but I doubt it.

Your best bet is a high end Cane Creek 110. Even if you DO ever have problems, and that's highly unlikely, they will give you free replacement parts for 110 years. Maybe advances in medicine will allow you to ride offroad for that long, but I doubt it

Also, check the torque on your gold DW link bolts, just in case.
    "It looks flexy"

Ride Fast & Have Fun!
    Aug 2006

Chris King Inset Works Flawless

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgie
    No problems, no creaking, smooth as butter!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 429 - Creaky pivots: how to silence-20754_287436874323_823934323_3256856_4365166_n.jpg  

Rider and Wrench
    I installed a Cane Creek 110 and have not thought about it much since... the never ending depate on king o ring VS the compression ring seems to have come to an end, considering that king is now offering "upgrade" kits to replace the o ring style top cap/retention system with a compresion ring. I am not sure they have that yet for the zero stack style?

On the seat post thing I know you have probably tried it all but remove the whole seat, all seat bolts and moving parts on the post, degrease and scrub it down then lightly grease the threads of the bolts and re-assemble it. That at least takes that out of the game.

I purchased my 429, went to slide in my shiny new Thomson post and felt a bit of resistance... pulled it back out and saw a nasty gouge at the front portion. I put a light down there and saw a huge burr that was right where the top tube hit the seat tube, it was a bear to file down since you clould barly get at it but finally got it smooth. If you have someting like that it could be contacting your seat post only in some situations and making the metal on metal squeak... long shot but worth a look anyway.

Why is it so hard to loose yourself in a ride if there is the slightest hint of squeak or other no no noise?
    Last edited by knottshore; 10-02-2010 at 07:33 PM.
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Creaky Pivots

Pivot Riders - I have heard from several sources, specifically two bike shops that claimed that they sold Pivots, that following six months of riding, all Pivots squeak like crazy and that owners never really get rid of the squeaking. Both bike shops called it the post "6 month honeymoon" Please confirm or dispel.

I am really interested in purchasing a 429 but do not want to be unloading a frame for approximately half of what I purchased it for six month later. I am not trying to troll as I truly respect the Pivot designs...just trying to learn the truth in the ever confusing, cross talking mountain bike environment.

Thanks.

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by CDIDriver
    Pivot Riders - I have heard from several sources, specifically two bike shops that claimed that they sold Pivots, that following six months of riding, all Pivots squeak like crazy and that owners never really get rid of the squeaking. Both bike shops called it the post "6 month honeymoon" Please confirm or dispel.

Thanks.

Thats crazy talk.
    The shop I work/ride for has been a Pivot dealer from day one, we have sold dozens of 429's, Mach 5's ect......without any negative feedback about the quality and durability of the frames. I have been on my Mach5 for over 6 months and the bike is flawless.
    At the shop we have one of the first 429's produced. It went to Interbike (year 1), and has been our 429 demo rig for 3 seasons. That bike is also flawless.
    Voltron

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    yogreg - Thanks for the confirmation from a Pivot dealer. I appreciate your conviction around the product. Like i said I am not trying to troll. As we have all experienced, most bike shops trash the brands that they don't floor and talk up the brands that they do floor.

Quote Originally Posted by yogreg
    Thats crazy talk.
    The shop I work/ride for has been a Pivot dealer from day one, we have sold dozens of 429's, Mach 5's ect......without any negative feedback about the quality and durability of the frames. I have been on my Mach5 for over 6 months and the bike is flawless.
    At the shop we have one of the first 429's produced. It went to Interbike (year 1), and has been our 429 demo rig for 3 seasons. That bike is also flawless.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CDIDriver

I am really interested in purchasing a 429 but do not want to be unloading a frame for approximately half of what I purchased it for six month later. I am not trying to troll as I truly respect the Pivot designs...just trying to learn the truth in the ever confusing, cross talking mountain bike environment.

Thanks.
    Call us at Pivot 480-467-2920, we are happy to let you know how incorrect this is.

I've worked for Pivot for almost 2 years, and have never heard this complaint, from dealer or consumer. After 14 months on my Mach 5, I never had an issue with noise or squeaks coming from the bearings or pivots. It's simply not true.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Dan23 -Thanks for your input. I have been riding a steel hardtail 29r now for around 3 years and I have been looking for a full squish 29r for 2 years. I have dirt demoed the sultan, epic, tallboy, evolve, rx29 and not the 429. All of the aforementioned did not compel me to buy for various reasons. The bikes that came close were the RX 29, very stiff but I thought understeered too much, the evolve is a great ride, but I don't trust Tony, had one of the infamous Non-Truth's, and the tallboy is an amazing bike, but I do not want a carbon moutainbike. As I mentioned in a earlier post, those claims of squeak issues came from sellers of #1 & #2 in the bike industry...you can arrive at your own conclusion. Not trying to troll, just trying to dispel the Goliath cross talk.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by dan23
    Call us at Pivot 480-467-2920 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************480-467-2920******end_of_the_skype_highlighting, we are happy to let you know how incorrect this is.

I've worked for Pivot for almost 2 years, and have never heard this complaint, from dealer or consumer. After 14 months on my Mach 5, I never had an issue with noise or squeaks coming from the bearings or pivots. It's simply not true.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I had a similar creak on my 2013 alloy mach 429. After reading this, I tightened up the rear axle and it's good as new. Thanks for the suggestion!