429 Carbon showed up!

Printable View

  • 12-29-2012
    SuperSlow
    429 Carbon showed up!
    After my initial 25 mile ride, the bike is absolutely amazing. Once I have had a little more time on it I will post a review. 24.2lbs

    [IMG]http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/8855/photo5tl.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
  • 12-29-2012
    seandm
    How does it ride with the lefty and what bike are you coming from?
  • 12-29-2012
    SuperSlow
    I am coming off a scalpel 1 carbon most recently and a giant anthem x 26" before that. I have ridden multiple high end carbon 29 & 26 bikes.

    The lefty is awesome, only thing cannondale has done right IMO. Since it is 100mm I went with an angleset and am running the 1.5" cups. Bike is extremely fast in corners (flickable and stable) but still climbs very well.
  • 12-29-2012
    seandm
    Very nice looking bike. i was debating between getting the Les or replacing my 429 with the 429c, but felt the 429c would ride too much like the 429.
  • 12-29-2012
    kenbentit
    Man, we've been shipping those bikes as fast as we can get 'em in the boxes! Good to see some pics showing up. seandm; The Carbon 429 has slightly different geo. from the alloy, main diference being chainstay length. It'll ride similar but have a more nimble feel.
  • 12-29-2012
    Mrwhlr
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Man, we've been shipping those bikes as fast as we can get 'em in the boxes! Good to see some pics showing up. seandm; The Carbon 429 has slightly different geo. from the alloy, main diference being chainstay length. It'll ride similar but have a more nimble feel.

    From what I see from Alex, you've been shipping them all to Cycle Progression :).
  • 12-29-2012
    skiahh
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SuperSlow View Post

    Huminahuminahumina!!!

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SuperSlow View Post
    The lefty is awesome

    Oh man... that's what mine would look like! Lefty on the black/blue frame. I'd add my Enve wheels and a few other bits, but damn. I did NOT need to see that!!!
  • 12-29-2012
    kenbentit
    Yeah, Alex has a TON on order! I was really amazed at how many crazy high-end builds went there too. Several XTR and XX1 bikes. Serious eye candy :yesnod:
  • 12-30-2012
    gfs69
    Beautiful bike, congrats! :thumbsup: Have you ridden an alu version so you can compare the two?
  • 12-30-2012
    SJDude
    Nice looking ride. So ahh any chance you would comment on tire clearance between the rear wheel and seat tube? I like ralph a lot but I like nic 2.25 even more... :)
  • 12-31-2012
    gryeti
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SJDude View Post
    Nice looking ride. So ahh any chance you would comment on tire clearance between the rear wheel and seat tube? I like ralph a lot but I like nic 2.25 even more... :)

    I can comment on this. I am running a 2.4 Racing Ralph on the back with lots of room. Great bike!
  • 12-31-2012
    AlienSP
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Yeah, Alex has a TON on order! I was really amazed at how many crazy high-end builds went there too. Several XTR and XX1 bikes. Serious eye candy :yesnod:

    My wife and I picked up our 429Cs from Cycle Progresstion and put our first ride in yesterday. It's a definite improvement over my 2009 model.

    Weights: Small XX build, F29 CTD 100mm, Enve, Tune hubs 23.2lbs
    Large XX1, F29 CTD 100mm, Enve front, Flow rear (for now), 24.1lbs

    Job well done Pivot!
  • 12-31-2012
    swinkey
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SJDude View Post
    Nice looking ride. So ahh any chance you would comment on tire clearance between the rear wheel and seat tube? I like ralph a lot but I like nic 2.25 even more... :)

    Tire clearance pictures with a Nobby Nic 2.25 on Arch rims.

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...pseac023aa.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...pse22c1a12.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...psf41a51fa.jpg
  • 01-01-2013
    SJDude
    Wow, nice pic. Exactly what I was looking for. I just noticed an email in my inbox from Bow Cycle saying they received a bunch on the 29th, so test ride tomorrow I think. :)
  • 01-02-2013
    20.100 FR
    i would like a picture with a 2.35 Noby Nic or an Hans Dampf in the rear !
  • 01-02-2013
    insighter
    Beauty!
    Looking forward to the reviews and more photos (action!)

    Thanks for posting.



    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SuperSlow View Post
    I am coming off a scalpel 1 carbon most recently and a giant anthem x 26" before that. I have ridden multiple high end carbon 29 & 26 bikes.

    The lefty is awesome, only thing cannondale has done right IMO. Since it is 100mm I went with an angleset and am running the 1.5" cups. Bike is extremely fast in corners (flickable and stable) but still climbs very well.

  • 01-03-2013
    BikerTex
    Wow, that is a super sexy machine SuperSlow. The weight is pretty appealing too. Did you build it from the frame up, or buy it as a complete bike and change out some parts? Just wondering if you weighed it as a "stock built" complete bike?

    Can't wait to hear your review after a few rides. I'm still waiting for my LBS to receive their order.
  • 01-03-2013
    schneidw
    No judgement, curious what benefit (Superslow/Alien) is realized by utilizing a 100mm fork on the 429... I couldnt believe the improvement (all around riding characteristics, not just downhill) when I switched out the stock Fox F100mm fork for a FOx Talas 120mm... suprised in 2013 there would be preference for the shorter travel.... curious, curious, curious... I realize to each their own... wondering what I missed.. THX for sharing and nice builds!
  • 01-04-2013
    SuperSlow
    I built the bike from frame up. I love the lefty so I decided to stick with it, it is stiff and light. Knowing the bike was more designed for a 5" fork, I went with an angleset and am running the 1.5" cups. Bike still has a low front end, but is slack and rails corners.

    I will post a full review shortly, I have about 150 miles on it and am doing an 85 mile race tomorrow.
  • 01-04-2013
    jhardeman
    Have the frame weights been published yet?
  • 01-04-2013
    swinkey
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jhardeman View Post
    Have the frame weights been published yet?

    My green medium with seatpost collar and rear axle installed was 6.3 lbs
  • 01-05-2013
    AlienSP
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by schneidw View Post
    No judgement, curious what benefit (Superslow/Alien) is realized by utilizing a 100mm fork on the 429... I couldnt believe the improvement (all around riding characteristics, not just downhill) when I switched out the stock Fox F100mm fork for a FOx Talas 120mm... suprised in 2013 there would be preference for the shorter travel.... curious, curious, curious... I realize to each their own... wondering what I missed.. THX for sharing and nice builds!

    We primarily do Xterra and Mtb racing. The main reason for the F100 is handling and a close second is 0.5lb weight reduction. I've ridden many 429s set up with a longer travel fork and never feel like I'm in the correct position for racing. Don't get me wrong, I've owned bikes with 150mm travel up front, but these were good for decending and dropping in off ledges, not for 2-5 hour races. The new 429C decends fast, plows through rock gardens and holds the line perfectly.

    No criticism to those who love their 120s. Remember, in the early 90s a RockShox Mag21 gave you a whopping 48mm of travel, so we're all pretty lucky!
  • 01-05-2013
    SJDude
    Well I spent a good long afternoon at the LBS drooling on it and it's a really impressive piece of machinery. The cable routing is a thing of beauty, the lines are gorgeous, the tire clearance issues are gone, and clearly it's overbuilt from an engineering standpoint. I love the blue one, although I think the same complaints about the green one having blue pivot caps is going to come up... :lol: Now if I could just get rid of the foot of snow outside so I could test ride it...
  • 01-05-2013
    jhardeman
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by swinkey View Post
    My green medium with seatpost collar and rear axle installed was 6.3 lbs

    Thanks. Honest question. Doesn't it seem like the dw-link and switch bikes, whether carbon or aluminum, seem heavier than VPP or Maestro? I rode the 429c at Interbike and loved it, but 6.3 surprises me. What other 29 100 mm carbon frame is over 6 lbs? Will be interesting to see what the upcoming Turner and Yeti carbon 29ers come in at.
  • 01-06-2013
    MSH
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jhardeman View Post
    Thanks. Honest question. Doesn't it seem like the dw-link and switch bikes, whether carbon or aluminum, seem heavier than VPP or Maestro? I rode the 429c at Interbike and loved it, but 6.3 surprises me. What other 29 100 mm carbon frame is over 6 lbs? Will be interesting to see what the upcoming Turner and Yeti carbon 29ers come in at.

    Agreed on the weight. I thought medium frames were going to be approx. 5.75 lbs? Maybe that was w/o the thru axle but that can't be over .5 lbs?

    Edit - just saw this was for painted green frame. Maybe 5.75 lbs was for matte frames w/o the thru axle