Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Ok,so I have had the chance to really put my 429c through the paces, logging about 200 miles in the last 2 weeks including a few race type efforts, a 85 mile endurance race in the pouring rain with multiple dirt and paved road sections, and a few laps at my local "home" trail which is very technical. As a point of reference I am coming off a cannondale scalpel 1 and a giant anthem xo (dw link) most recently.

Weight- I am 6' 3" 180 lbs and pretty hard on equipment coming from a DH and BMX background, but I also road race and race xc. Weird right?

Bike - is a large 429c with a lefty, (i am running an angleset with 1.5" cups) sram xx, and DT Swiss Tricon Wheels . Total weight is 24.08 lbs.

Ride - The bike really rides phenomenally, with my background I was pretty hesitant to buy a 29er due to the cumbersome size of the wheel and potentially sluggish response. I set my bikes up very stiff and prefer something that is quick, nimble, and playful. This bike really rides like it is much smaller, very true to marketing it as feeling like a 26" bike. The bike has very minor pedal feedback only noticeable in very extreme situations. I have ridden tons of bikes and worked in the bike industry for 17+ years, this bike reinforces my thoughts that I will probably never own another bike with anything other than a DW link.

Pivot really has done their howework on this one, and knocked it out of the park. XC race quality platform that can easily keep up with 160mm bikes.

Don't ride one unless you want to buy one!

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Why Tricons? Nice wheels, but you seem like a carbon hoop kind of guy.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I had them, and they are just as light

Arrrghhh!!!

Update?

I'm surprised more folks aren't talking about the bike-- maybe it is taking a while to get them into people's hands... We're covered in snow so I'm living vicariously.
    Anyway, got more to say or post about the bike? How does it handle the downhills and chunk? High speed decents?

Thanks,

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSlow View Post
    Ok,so I have had the chance to really put my 429c through the paces, logging about 200 miles in the last 2 weeks including a few race type efforts, a 85 mile endurance race in the pouring rain with multiple dirt and paved road sections, and a few laps at my local "home" trail which is very technical. As a point of reference I am coming off a cannondale scalpel 1 and a giant anthem xo (dw link) most recently.

Weight- I am 6' 3" 180 lbs and pretty hard on equipment coming from a DH and BMX background, but I also road race and race xc. Weird right?

Bike - is a large 429c with a lefty, (i am running an angleset with 1.5" cups) sram xx, and DT Swiss Tricon Wheels . Total weight is 24.08 lbs.

Ride - The bike really rides phenomenally, with my background I was pretty hesitant to buy a 29er due to the cumbersome size of the wheel and potentially sluggish response. I set my bikes up very stiff and prefer something that is quick, nimble, and playful. This bike really rides like it is much smaller, very true to marketing it as feeling like a 26" bike. The bike has very minor pedal feedback only noticeable in very extreme situations. I have ridden tons of bikes and worked in the bike industry for 17+ years, this bike reinforces my thoughts that I will probably never own another bike with anything other than a DW link.

Pivot really has done their howework on this one, and knocked it out of the park. XC race quality platform that can easily keep up with 160mm bikes.

The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it.
    William James

mtbr member

Some help please !

Hi Superslow

I previous current Titus rider in New Zealand
    Been watching the 29 er most for a while - I can get a good deal from LBS on pivot but will really need to stick to factory build kits .
    We don't have opportunity to test ride as so few of these down under .
    Please help with frame size - why did you go large rather than XL and what stem length do you have with your L

Cheers dude
    Mike
    QUOTE=SuperSlow;10051346]Ok,so I have had the chance to really put my 429c through the paces, logging about 200 miles in the last 2 weeks including a few race type efforts, a 85 mile endurance race in the pouring rain with multiple dirt and paved road sections, and a few laps at my local "home" trail which is very technical. As a point of reference I am coming off a cannondale scalpel 1 and a giant anthem xo (dw link) most recently.

Don't ride one unless you want to buy one![/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I am 6'3'' and went with the large with 100mm stem. The bike has quite a bit of saddle to handlebar drop, but I predominately race xc so I am used to a bit more aggressive position.

Quote Originally Posted by mw04snow View Post
    Hi Superslow

I previous current Titus rider in New Zealand
    Been watching the 29 er most for a while - I can get a good deal from LBS on pivot but will really need to stick to factory build kits .
    We don't have opportunity to test ride as so few of these down under .
    Please help with frame size - why did you go large rather than XL and what stem length do you have with your L

Cheers dude
    Mike
    QUOTE=SuperSlow;10051346]Ok,so I have had the chance to really put my 429c through the paces, logging about 200 miles in the last 2 weeks including a few race type efforts, a 85 mile endurance race in the pouring rain with multiple dirt and paved road sections, and a few laps at my local "home" trail which is very technical. As a point of reference I am coming off a cannondale scalpel 1 and a giant anthem xo (dw link) most recently.

[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schneidw View Post
    No judgement, curious what benefit (Superslow/Alien) is realized by utilizing a 100mm fork on the 429... I couldnt believe the improvement (all around riding characteristics, not just downhill) when I switched out the stock Fox F100mm fork for a FOx Talas 120mm... suprised in 2013 there would be preference for the shorter travel.... curious, curious, curious... I realize to each their own... wondering what I missed.. THX for sharing and nice builds!
    I set up my 429 C with Fox 34 shimmed to 130mm. I'm thinking about using the angle set -1 degree, If it rides like a chopper. I will let you all know how it rides after my riding vacation next week.

That looks like a great XC build! The lefty is my fork of choice for XC racing too.
    Shop Owner
    Trigger Carbon 1
    Scalpel Ultimate
    Phoenix
    SuperX Hi Mod Disc
    Super6Evo Hi-mod Di2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brian jra View Post
    I set up my 429 C with Fox 34 shimmed to 130mm. I'm thinking about using the angle set -1 degree, If it rides like a chopper. I will let you all know how it rides after my riding vacation next week.

That looks like a great XC build! The lefty is my fork of choice for XC racing too.
    Interesting@!! IN concept, the 130mm seem ideal to me.. In practice, I guess we have to wait for your review... I am real interested in hearing how the 429 performs with the modified fork length and changed head angle... Dave Weagle would probably shake his head in disbelief and horror to these types of alterations... IMHO, as this thread illustrates, so much is tied to rider preference such as terrain, racing vs all mtn use, body dimensions etc... I have no sense of where the boundary is wrt pushing too far... raising the front end w long travel fork/raking out the headtube angle will certainly have some effect on the anti-squat capabilities of the DW link.. the question is whether the changes are noticeable enough to offset the advantages of a longer travel fork etc... From my experience, the 100mm front fork was simply ill-suited for the terrain I ride (Rocky Mtns, alot of steeper climbs and descents etc). I also was running a crazy high stack height to try and raise the bars, and still had to add riser bars... and I definatley dont come from a DH background.. I was trying to achieve a good fit for me (long legs, short torso) and I like my bars 3/4" below saddle approx... to each their own... love the Mach 429, but definately had to make changes from stock to get it dialed.... real curious about how the Carbon 429 geometry changes differ from my 2010 model ALU... need to do some reading...

mtbr member
    my small 429c

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Still waiting for your review. We need to hear more feedback on these amazing bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by brian jra View Post

mtbr member

how to insert internal cable?

i replaced my shifter and pulled out the shifter cable...

i didnt know that the frame doesnt have internal cable guid & you just cant insert the cable from one end and it will come out from the other end...

please advice...
    PIVOT

11 is one louder than 10
    Quote Originally Posted by engrmariano View Post
    i replaced my shifter and pulled out the shifter cable...

i didnt know that the frame doesnt have internal cable guid & you just cant insert the cable from one end and it will come out from the other end...

please advice...
    So the easiest way to replace that cable it to pull the "hatch". You will potentially need to unbolt the upper shock linkage. Then, where the der. cables exit you can unbolt the hatch.

Otherwise you may spend hours or days trying to fish it through.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Giant View Post
    So the easiest way to replace that cable it to pull the "hatch". You will potentially need to unbolt the upper shock linkage. Then, where the der. cables exit you can unbolt the hatch.

Otherwise you may spend hours or days trying to fish it through.
    oh i see! will take a look on my next "repair/maintenance day"...

thanks for the advice...
    PIVOT

mtbr member

429 Carbon showed up

Still dialing in my cockpit, but I'm really enjoying mine. Surprised to not see more of these on the forums, particularly other XL frames. Here you go my tall brothers. 429 Carbon showed up!-image.jpg429 Carbon showed up!-image.jpg

mtbr member

nice looking ride

I'm thinking about ordering a 429c this weekend. I rode a large as a demo a month or so ago, and it seemed kind of small. I'm wondering if an xl would not be a better fit. How tall are you? I'm 6'3"

mtbr member
    I'm 6'4" and feel like the fit is spot on. If I were you, I'd buy the XL and run a short stem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2