Tough Guy Extraordinaire

429 Carbon Finish Durability

So this is kind of a link off another thread I started, but I wanted a more direct survey from others.

I just go my 429c on Friday. Color is green. I ordered red and black but Competitive Cyclist sent green. Whatever. Set up the bike pretty nice and added some Lizard Skinz frame patches where I thought cables would slap, etc. Also have Jag Wire cables with the rubber boots to add to the frame protection.

So I took it out for the first ride on Saturday. Wetish conditions. Enough that it was gritty for sure, but not wet enough to wash the grit off easy. About a 20 mile ride to dail in the suspension. No crash, etc.

Got home Saturday night and rinsed my bike off and my wife pointed out a few spots where the cables had rubbed all the way through the clear, green and into the carbon base ! Ouch! Even the place where the top of my water bottle was had worn. WTF?

So I added more protectors to these places and called it lesson learned. Sunday, same ride but dryer and less gritty. Again, no crash or anything. The frame is all kinds of scratched up on the chain stays. I didn't lay it down or anything.

So has anyone else had any issues with this? I am by no means one of those guys who babies their bike or freaks when they get a ding, but this really has me questioning the durability of this bike in the long run! I would expect the surface treatment on a $6,000+ bike to be a little tougher! This is technically the first carbon MTB that I have owned, but I have plenty of buddies with carbon bikes that don't seem to be so fragile. I have also ridden carbon road bikes for a while and I beat them without similar results.

Has anyone else had these problems or is it just me? If I am the only one, I am thinking about contacting Pivot to see if there is anything I can do. The worst part of this is I absolutely love this bike!

Long Live the Gorn!
    Well my carbon with red highlights seems very durable after 2 months....I have ridden through dirt, sand, mud, and brushed it off with a pretty heavy brush...and when I wipe it down it looks new. Where the cables are there is the most minor of scratches at best... if even that.

My question is why the heck did you let competitive cyclist off the hook for the wrong color especially a glossy green

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    Pretty simple answer to your question.

Bike in hand = fun.

Waiting another 2 weeks for new build/ship, etc.. = not fun.

Also, at the end of the day I don't really care what color it is. Just chaps me a bit when the wife says 'how much did that bike cost again? You would think for that much it wouldn't be all dinged up after a few rides!'

They did say they would work to make it up to me, but I am still waiting to see how.

On another note, I hit the spots rubbing bad with helecopter tape and hopefully dealt with the issue more or less.

The Toasted One
    I have a 5.7c and had the same problem, never see any other carbon bike with so easy scratchable finish coat, i used 3m carbon fiber vinyl 1 inch squares to cover all scratches but also the leather patches that covers the frame are beginning to peel off, the bike has only 7 months... not sure if pivot have a replacement item for the "rubberized-leather" pads but i think that eventually i will need a set

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

What color is your 5.7c?

Quote Originally Posted by Toasty! View Post
    I have a 5.7c and had the same problem, never see any other carbon bike with so easy scratchable finish coat, i used 3m carbon fiber vinyl 1 inch squares to cover all scratches but also the leather patches that covers the frame are beginning to peel off, the bike has only 7 months... not sure if pivot have a replacement item for the "rubberized-leather" pads but i think that eventually i will need a set
    Is your 5.7 a painted finish also?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Competitive Cyclist has that "Unconditional Lifetime Returns" plastered all over its website. Surely this qualifies? I'm curious to see how this shakes out as I'm in the market for a 429c or Les, depending on what I do with my current ride.